News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Meijer closing in Berwyn

Started by Ted, March 21, 2017, 02:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on March 21, 2017, 07:13:01 PM
Thanks, Trump!

Why are you blaming this on Donald Trump?  I am no fan of Trump but the Meijer's store in Berwyn is closing because of lack of sales and because Meijer's has decided that their "small box" stores are just not working.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on March 21, 2017, 09:39:01 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on March 21, 2017, 07:13:01 PM
Thanks, Trump!

Why are you blaming this on Donald Trump?  I am no fan of Trump but the Meijer's store in Berwyn is closing because of lack of sales and because Meijer's has decided that their "small box" stores are just not working.

It's a joke. Doofy conservatives picked up the habit of saying "Thanks, Obama!" with his every perceived misstep, to the point where it became a cliche. Though by the end of his presidency, many people where saying thanks to him quite sincerely---something that few seem likely to do with the current administration.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Ted

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on March 21, 2017, 11:19:42 PM
It's a joke. Doofy conservatives picked up the habit of saying "Thanks, Obama!" with his every perceived misstep, to the point where it became a cliche. Though by the end of his presidency, many people where saying thanks to him quite sincerely---something that few seem likely to do with the current administration.

There is a liberal I know who always posted "Thanks, Obama" on Facebook when something good happened (like oil prices going down) 

markberwyn

How shameful it must be to be a Trump supporter, especially at this moment. He promised the "best people," and he's surrounded by self-dealing bigots and incompetents. He promised jobs, and he hasn't done a thing for jobs. He promised "great deals," and he can't get his own party to play ball with him. The only foreign policy idea he has in his head is demonizing and/or killing nonwhite people. A grown-up American who is cheering this man can only be motivated to feel that way out of racist resentment.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Ted on March 22, 2017, 06:16:07 AM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on March 22, 2017, 12:06:27 AM
Quote from: Ted on March 21, 2017, 02:30:52 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-meijer-melrose-park-berwyn-closing-0322-biz-20170321-story.html
And this is important in what way?

An empty store in Cermak Plaza.  And, I thought it was newsworthy enough to post.
Yes, it is newswothy and I should not have made light of it.  It's a loss for Berwyn but I am also not surprised.  Across Harlem you have Jewel-Osco, Tony's and Costco.  I would say that is pretty serious competition.  I think that if it was a full service Meijers like they have in Michigan it might have had a chance. 

markberwyn

The Jackal

I'm pretty sure I pointed out that a small box Meijer was really nothing to get excited about when this store opened, only to get chastised by the I LOVE BERWYN crowd.

It's great that Berwyn was able to attract such a big name, but the fact is it's success is based largely on being a big box, full service one stop shopping destination, something I pointed out at the time.

Oh well, hope the BDC can find a suitable replacement.

Bonster

I loved being able to buy my groceries and other toiletries in Berwyn.  Although I'm closer to Roosevelt Market, Meijer had much better selection. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Mugster

I find it noteworthy, and I'm disappointed.  I often found items at Meijer that I don't find at Jewel and I never could force myself to like shopping at Tony's.  I'm not a member of Costco either.  That's going to be a big empty slot to fill.

Ted

The Trib reported yesterday that H.H. Gregg in North Riverside is also closing.