News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Is it dead.. or can i bring it back??

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, April 08, 2008, 06:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

We planted Cypress Spirals with our landscaping remodel in late summer of 2006...  they looked great and healthy well into last fall...
One of them went brown and started to loose its needles sometime between the Cicada invastion and the first frost...

Is it dead.. or will it come back..  my wife thinks it was either the bugs or my neighboors salt that did it in... 
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

littlealexa

I'm really no expert but to me it looks dead.  I read somewhere that you should peel a bit of the bark and see if it is green.  If so, then it's alive. 

I have a similar question, I have a rose of sharon (double bloom pink flowers) that is 10 feet tall.  In 2006 it bloomed beautifully.  In 2007 it did not even leaf out at all.  Could the cicadas have damaged it?  I don't know if I should fertilize it this year to see if perhaps it will come back.  If it doesn't leaf, it will be getting yanked this summer. Any suggestions are appreciated.

apatriot

It's dead, Guy.

alexa, Rose of Sharon, yes, that is a test to see if it's alive, however, that does not mean the leaves will come back, or the flowers.  Lots were lost last year.  You can use this year to see if they come back.  I had two that went bad (after approx. 5 yrs.).  I left them for two more years just to make sure, and nothing happened despite the fact that when you scratched the stem you could see green.  Rose of Sharon are nice, so it's a shame when you lose one.

Berwyn Patsy

The yard next door to me (in Berwyn) had a ton of Rose of Sharon trees.   Seeds must fall off and
just continue to sprout up more.  It is a pretty tree, but a real attraction for every bee around!
One of my girls had a serious allergy to bee stings, and that always made me nervous when she played
near the Rose of Sharon trees.

pioneer

Rose of Sharon...I think that is what I have (at least I found some pics on the web that look like it?).  Thanks for posting the name.  Unfortunately, mine did not flower last year.  I remember that it always bloomed sort of mid-summer, then all the flowers would fall off and the leaves would stay until past October.  I am not sure if it is dead, however, the branches are not brittle, they bend and do not crack.  I will give it just this year and then will probably replace it.  Does anyone know if this is something that is carried at Home Dept or perhaps some local nursery?  I would like to get another one.  I am no shrub/flower expert so if anyone knows of another similar flowering shrub that does not get too big, let me know.  Thanks!  BTW, would trimming it help it out?

apatriot

You can get them at any garden center.  There are a million different varieties.   

littlealexa

Pioneer does sound like you have a rose of sharon.  What you describe happening to yours seems to be the same thing that happened to mine.  HD does carry them, the double bloom one is more expensive than the single blooms. 

Also in case you are interested, a church in Riverside holds a plant sale in May.  I got 3 rose of sharons (single blooms) for 5 bucks each.  They were each about 3 feet tall.  I think its was a good deal, so check them out.

tgoddess

Doesn't the BDC host Bloom & Zoom in May?  Would they possibly have them as well?
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Quote from: tgoddess on April 09, 2008, 04:38:05 PM
Doesn't the BDC host Bloom & Zoom in May?  Would they possibly have them as well?

May 10th here is the flyer
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Berwyn Patsy

Bear, don't be shy now, tell us a little about the "somewhere in time" photographs!

Bear

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 09, 2008, 05:30:43 PM
Bear, don't be shy now, tell us a little about the "somewhere in time" photographs!

BP, everyone will have to come to Bloom n Zoom to see what that is.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Berwyn Patsy

I am excited for Bear, wait until ya all see what he's been doing all winter!!