News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Election results - 4/4/2017

Started by Ted, April 05, 2017, 07:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

In yesterday's election in the contested races, Deanna Durica, Darlene Yoder and Julia McAleer-Forte were elected to the District 100 school board.

Brian Brock was elected to the Berwyn Park District board.

It looks like Alicia Ruiz will win in the 6th ward over the write-in campaign by Erika Rosado (although we should wait until provisional and mail-in ballots are counted).

And, in District 100, the referendum to increase the tax rate by 60 cents passed with 54% of the vote being YES and 46% of the vote being NO.

It was also an historic election in that 7 gay Berwyn residents were elected to office yesterday . I don't know of any city in the country that can say that.

berwynres

I can't believe that this story has not received any coverage from any major local media outlet.  It is unprecedented.

Ted

Quote from: berwynres on April 05, 2017, 08:51:04 AM

I can't believe that this story has not received any coverage from any major local media outlet.  It is unprecedented.

After the primary, I did sent emails to all 5 local TV news stations as well as to the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.  I guess they either don't read their "contact us" emails or they didn't think it was important as news.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2017, 05:29:28 PM

After the primary, I did sent emails to all 5 local TV news stations as well as to the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.  I guess they either don't read their "contact us" emails or they didn't think it was important as news.

Apologies if I misread this post, but: Those general "contact us" emails are lousy ways to contact local media. Those inboxes are not checked as often, the person checking them may not know who to forward a story to, and they're overwhelmed with spam and messages from people who think Obama is watching them through their laptops. Better to identify the reporters/producers who cover Berwyn- and LGBT-related stories and contact those people directly.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on April 05, 2017, 08:03:16 PM

Apologies if I misread this post, but: Those general "contact us" emails are lousy ways to contact local media. Those inboxes are not checked as often, the person checking them may not know who to forward a story to, and they're overwhelmed with spam and messages from people who think Obama is watching them through their laptops. Better to identify the reporters/producers who cover Berwyn- and LGBT-related stories and contact those people directly.

I did email Rex Hupke of the Trib directly because he had done a story on Berwyn gays in 2010 and he often writes stories on gay issues.  His most recent column was on the rainbow flag.

But, other than that, I do not know of any reporters for the stations that do "gay news".  There have several stories in the Windy City times about the elections in Berwyn but I wouldn't know who to contact directly at a TV station or the newspapers.

berwynres

Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2017, 09:00:20 PM

I did email Rex Hupke of the Trib directly because he had done a story on Berwyn gays in 2010 and he often writes stories on gay issues.  His most recent column was on the rainbow flag.

But, other than that, I do not know of any reporters for the stations that do "gay news".  There have several stories in the Windy City times about the elections in Berwyn but I wouldn't know who to contact directly at a TV station or the newspapers.

Thanks for trying Ted to get the word out.  I find it amusing that the local media apparently felt it was more important to report that a gay man running for mayor in Evanston lost his race, than to mention that 7!!! LGBTs were elected to various offices in a suburb of somewhat comparable size (56K (Berwyn), 75K (Evanston)), but, unfortunately, not stature.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwynres on April 06, 2017, 10:41:07 AM
Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2017, 09:00:20 PM

Thanks for trying Ted to get the word out.  I find it amusing that the local media apparently felt it was more important to report that a gay man running for mayor in Evanston lost his race, than to mention that 7!!! LGBTs were elected to various offices in a suburb of somewhat comparable size (56K (Berwyn), 75K (Evanston)), but, unfortunately, not stature.

They know where their readers and viewers are, and how much money they have to spend.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes