News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

D100 school board vacancy

Started by Ted, July 20, 2017, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1421896851191121&id=237708949609923

Berwyn South School District 100

Berwyn South School District 100 Board Member Vacancy

The Board of Education of Berwyn South School District 100 announces an immediate vacancy on the Board of Education. The term of office will run through April 2019 at which time the seat will be filled in the April consolidated election.

Registered voters who reside in South Berwyn and wish to apply for the vacant board position should forward a letter of interest to the Board Secretary by August 4th. Please include a brief personal summary.

Qualifications of the position are:
• Must be a United States citizen;
• Must be at least 18 years of age;
• Must be a resident of Illinois and the District for at least one year immediately preceding the election;
• Must be a registered voter; and
• Must not be a child sex offender as defined in Section 11-9.3 of the Criminal Code of 2012.

Deanna Durica, Secretary
School District 100 Board of Education
LaVergne Education Center
3401 Gunderson Avenue
Berwyn, IL 60402

Electronic submissions may be sent to bdofed@bsd100.org.
Please include Board Vacancy in your subject line.

markberwyn

Do you know what prompted the vacancy?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on July 21, 2017, 09:51:36 PM
Obviously a school board member decided to move or not retain their office.  Since you are such a smart and obviously informed person why don't you tell us?

markberwyn

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on July 21, 2017, 10:25:06 PM
Obviously a school board member decided to move or not retain their office. 

Are those the only options? It may not have been the board member's decision. Perhaps there was a forced resignation because of some technical issue. Perhaps there was a forced resignation because of a Berwyn-gonna-Berwyn issue. Perhaps a board member got arrested. Perhaps a board member died. I don't know, which is why I asked.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

It was Lisa Clemente who resigned.

It was not a death. I could not find a resignation letter on the D100 site, but I do not think it was a forced resignation.

chandasz

I have spoken to Lisa-- she will be sending her child to Catholic School this fall and feels that it's not right for her to sit on the public school board. I don't agree that everyone who sits on the board needs to be a parent since it should be representatives from the community as a whole. We've had multiple people on the board in the past who do not have kids in the schools. She's also got a lot on her plate with her life and felt it best to let this go.

markberwyn

Thank you for sharing that. FWIW, I don't think having a kid in Catholic school---or not having a kid---should be a dealbreaker when it comes to serving on the board. But some people will certainly make an issue of it.

berwyn senator

Interesting her child is attending a private school!

chandasz

It is not a requirement to have a child in the schools to serve on the board and we have had many folks sit on the board that have not had kids in the district (at the time of their term).

I think having a variety of stakeholders of the community on the board is a good thing, personally.

It's just how she felt about it that matters. She was not forced out- it was her choice.

I don't know her reasons for choosing private elementary education for her daughter but I think she mentioned that she has other family who goes to that school too so that may have played into the decision.

The board is taking applications and will appoint someone to serve out her term.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on July 26, 2017, 04:56:08 PM
Thank you for sharing that. FWIW, I don't think having a kid in Catholic school---or not having a kid---should be a dealbreaker when it comes to serving on the board. But some people will certainly make an issue of it.
I totally agree with you.  We just need to have board members who will look at the big picture. 

Ted

Quote from: chandasz on August 01, 2017, 12:48:08 PM

I think having a variety of stakeholders of the community on the board is a good thing, personally.

I agree as well.  I think any school board should have a variety of people serving, not just people with kid currently in the school system.

chandasz

berwyn senator

Just an excuse for not attending a public school, what is the real truth?

Ted

Quote from: chandasz on August 02, 2017, 02:39:02 PM
You going to apply, Ted? :)

No.  but I do think you should apply, Chanda.  I think you would be a great addition to the school board.

chandasz

Quote from: Ted on August 02, 2017, 06:50:32 PM

No.  but I do think you should apply, Chanda.  I think you would be a great addition to the school board.

Thank you, Ted. That means a lot coming from you! I have applied. Deadline is tomorrow!

Bonster

Quote from: chandasz on August 03, 2017, 01:27:48 PM

Thank you, Ted. That means a lot coming from you! I have applied. Deadline is tomorrow!

Lord help us!  :)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

You live here and have children going to District 100 schools so I think you will have the impetus to do what is right for the kids in the school district.  I always think that parents of kids in the school district make the best board members.  Just remember you have the taxpayers to answer to.

Ted

I hope they pick you, Chanda.   You were one of the main reasons the referendum passed.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

chandasz

https://target.brightarrow.com/Attachments/2726_-1/17082111451214.pdf

D100 School Board meeting tomorrow night (Weds), 7pm at Heritage. There will be a public vote on the school board member appointment to replace Lisa Clemente (resigned). Finances will be discussed, as Illinois is not making payments. And it also looks like Superintendent Havis will report on process of creating new District Vision statement.