News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

35 Sports Bar and Grill (formerly Big Hurt Brewhouse)

Started by Cermakplaza, September 06, 2017, 08:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cermakplaza

https://www.35sportsbarandgrill.com/

Looks like Buona is involved with this too...according to a Web search, the 35 Bar and Grill is part of the Buona companies...!

berwynres

Went there on one occasion when it was the Big Hurt BrewHouse.  Was disappointed.  If they haven't addressed the noise issue and the rickety high top chairs and tables, I don't think I would find the dining experience any more enjoyable, regardless of any improvement in the food, which, back then, was unremarkable and over-priced.   Had hoped for so much more, given how long the BDC worked to get this property redeveloped.  And, get rid of the slot machines in the vault.  It gives the impression of a low-rent establishment.  If you can't make it on the food and beverages alone, throw in the towel and allow someone else to try. I will say that the new menu looks more reasonably priced.

Ted

It closed up again.  Second try at it.  Rumors are there is going to be a third try.

berwyn senator

There strikes and you out!!!!  Hate to see any business failing Berwyn.

berwynres

Didn't stop in this last time around.  Drove by and it looked like they hadn't changed the interior much, if at all.  And, in its first incarnation, I remember being seated at high top chairs and tables that were wobbly and felt like they were about to fall apart.  Cheap furniture.  And, I prefer sitting at a booth, but they had very few.  So much more that could have been done with that great space.  Also, the menu seemed very limited in its options.  Maybe someone will get it right someday.  Doesn't seem that difficult a task.

berwynres

Looks like a new restaurant is taking over the site.  Anyone know anything about it?  Looks like an emphasis on seafood.  Hope they do some remodeling and give away the rickety, cheap high top chairs.

So, did BDC have any say in this since I believe it loaned Frank Thomas big bucks for his failed concept?  Will the BDC recoup anything from him?

Ted

The new restaurant is called Nuevo Vallarta.  I think it is a seafood place.  My memory is that the city sold the building to the Frank Thomas group for $1 and the property west of the building for $200,000.

It will be interesting to know if the Frank Thomas group sold the property or is renting it out.

The contract required that the Frank Thomas group make $1.2 million in renovations to the building.

Here is a link:  http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=13084.msg215194#msg215194