News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Facebook

Started by berwyn senator, August 09, 2018, 02:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

How many are getting tired of Facebook? Are they trying to obtain your personal accounts?

markberwyn

Are you on Facebook, Senator? If not, why is this a concern for you?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

pay attention to the news

markberwyn

I do. I understand the criticisms of Facebook. I have no doubt that I understand those criticisms even better than you do. I read; you don't. What I don't understand is why you're so invested in this.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

I went to Facebook because I get news there about Berwyn that I do not get otherwise.  I was a late comer to Facebook but it is worth it for me.

For example, on Tuesday, the Berwyn City Council paid out $195,000 on a sexual harassment case involving the deputy police chief Joseph Drury (who is on paid leave of absence).  A woman went to the trouble of getting an electronic copy of the complaint and posted it. The allegations were very disturbing.

Also, lots of informative posts about the over tax that happened in District 100.  The district miscalculated what the levy should be and people's tax bills were 3 times higher than expected with the new tax rate that was approved in the referendum because the triennial reassessment increased property values in Berwyn by over 20%.

I get information about things like this on Facebook that I do not get any where else.  I don't post much on my own Facebook page - I just use it to get info on Berwyn from the various Berwyn groups - Berwyn Cool Kids, South Berwyn Watch, Berwyn Connect and Berwyn Connections.

Each group serves its own purpose and allows me to find out things that I would not normally find out about - so it is worth the trouble (to me, at least) of being on Facebook.

markberwyn

A shame the Suburban Life isn't covering this stuff. They should do better.

Mugster

I just wish Facebook wouldn't have taken people away from these boards.

markberwyn

Facebook can be good for disseminating information, but lousy at removing the noise and garbage that surrounds that information. Some of that is a function of how Facebook works---anybody can play, and it encourages memes and photos over actual information. And, of course, Facebook has had a hard time keeping bigotry at bay. There's a Facebook group that's run by a former poster here, billyjean. Billyjean was a moronic blowhard who lost every single debate she had on this site with reasonable people---she'd post stuff about how monstrous gay marriage was, Obama birther crap, etc. It was easy to shut that down here, because here you had to focus on information and rational arguments, and she was never in possession of them. But over there, her garbage pile can fester unchallenged because she's amassed a small militia of blowhards who are equally or even more moronic: There are people who post overtly racist memes about Islam and immigrants, and only slightly more subtle misogynist/racist attacks on legislators like Maxine Waters and Nancy Pelosi. Another former poster here, eno, who lost arguments all the time and would then threaten to sue you as he was losing the argument, routinely posts there about how Democrats are the real racists; he may be the last man in America who has yet to let go of his grievance with Jeremiah Wright. Any person who visits the page would come away with the impression that Berwyn is mostly occupied by bigots who are deeply, deeply terrified of the world.

Senator, if you ever change your mind about Facebook and decide to join up, it should be the first place you go.

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on August 18, 2018, 05:31:31 AM
...  There's a Facebook group that's run by a former poster here, billyjean. Billyjean was a moronic blowhard who lost every single debate she had on this site with reasonable people---she'd post stuff about how monstrous gay marriage was, Obama birther crap, etc. It was easy to shut that down here, because here you had to focus on information and rational arguments, and she was never in possession of them. But over there, her garbage pile can fester unchallenged because she's amassed a small militia of blowhards who are equally or even more moronic: ...

I was banned from "Billy Jean's" facebook site (called Berwyn Banter).  She didn't like the fact that I challenged her racism.  I had had enough, anyway, because she spams her own site with all these stories from Breitbart and The Conservative Treehouse.  I got tired for tryingto refute every nutty post that was put there (e.g. George Soros was a Nazi). The last straw was when she posted a picture of mugshots from a crime in Palm Springs California and said "look at their faces".

In the end, she told me she was banning me because I had turned into another MarkBerwyn... lol

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on August 09, 2018, 02:17:22 PM
How many are getting tired of Facebook? Are they trying to obtain your personal accounts?

Senator, if you want a Facebook site where you can get news about what is going on in Berwyn without being a member of Berwyn, the Berwyn Connect site is a good option.  It is a public site so you can read what is going on and the admins keep it clean from nasty discussion - it is more of a news and event site but it is informative.

And, as I said, you can read stuff on the site without having to have a Facebook member ID.

Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/berwynconnect/

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on August 18, 2018, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on August 18, 2018, 05:31:31 AM
...  There's a Facebook group that's run by a former poster here, billyjean. Billyjean was a moronic blowhard who lost every single debate she had on this site with reasonable people---she'd post stuff about how monstrous gay marriage was, Obama birther crap, etc. It was easy to shut that down here, because here you had to focus on information and rational arguments, and she was never in possession of them. But over there, her garbage pile can fester unchallenged because she's amassed a small militia of blowhards who are equally or even more moronic: ...

I was banned from "Billy Jean's" facebook site (called Berwyn Banter).  She didn't like the fact that I challenged her racism.  I had had enough, anyway, because she spams her own site with all these stories from Breitbart and The Conservative Treehouse.  I got tired for tryingto refute every nutty post that was put there (e.g. George Soros was a Nazi). The last straw was when she posted a picture of mugshots from a crime in Palm Springs California and said "look at their faces".

In the end, she told me she was banning me because I had turned into another MarkBerwyn... lol

Ha! She repeatedly beats this drum about how anybody who wants to talk about issues from any perspective is welcome on her page, but of course she can't meet her own standard. Somebody once said, "If your website is full of assholes, it's your fault." Perhaps someday she'll recognize that she's nursed a nest of rats into being.

berwyn senator

I pay little attention to Facebook,they are only a group of people bragging of trips, where they are or how much they drank or ate.

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on September 20, 2018, 02:38:30 PM
I pay little attention to Facebook,they are only a group of people bragging of trips, where they are or how much they drank or ate.

No, Senator, there is more information than that on group sites. South Berwyn Watch has a lot of information about crime in Berwyn and other matters pertinent to Berwyn. Berwyn Cool Kids and Berwyn Connect have a lot of useful news about what is happening in Berwyn.

It is not just people bragging about trips or how much they ate or drank.  That may happen on people's personal sites but I have never seen that type of post on the Berwyn group sites.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on September 20, 2018, 02:38:30 PM

For fuck's sake, half your posts on BTF have been about how shitfaced you got around town when you were young and all the places you went to try to get laid; much of the rest was you complaining about how you can't get decent Czech food around town anymore.

berwyn senator

I guess when all you have is assholes like markberwyn being critical of everyones posts on Berwyn Talk,I understand why people have left the Forum. Oh! yes there is no place in Berwyn to get good Czech food.Come on you have never grew up in Berwyn or Cicero your just stuck on stupid.

?

markberwyn

Oh, stifle yourself.

People have left this site because they've found better options for information about town. Or they were people who, like you, don't know how to be disagreed with.

Those people were a lot like you: ignorant, yet persuaded that their ignorance made them intelligent. (They have "horse sense" or "street smarts" or some such.)

You preen about the importance of education but nothing you write demonstrates intellectual proficiency above a fifth-grade level.

You say you went to graduate school but show no capacity for the kinds of things that advanced education demands, such as logic, research, or understanding different sides of an argument.

You are benighted about history and even worse about economics and sociology.

Nothing you have posted here suggests that you have read a book to completion, or even an news article.

You complain about most everything people younger than you do, but all you talk about doing in the olden days is getting drunk and endangering lives and shitting on other people like it's something to be proud of.

You say supportive things about bigoted and nativist politicians; when asked to defend that support, you dissemble or disappear. And still, most everything you have to say about the world outside of yourself is soaked in bigotry and contempt.

You bellyache about Facebook and yet your posts are directly influenced by the garbage it has helped disseminate.

If you are so very eager to identify assholes, get a mirror.

berwyn senator

Finally pissed you off!!!!!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on September 23, 2018, 11:33:24 AM
Finally pissed you off!!!!!

What are the three most persuasive articles you've read about problems with Facebook, senator?

markberwyn

Actually, just one article about Facebook will do.

markberwyn

Actually, any article you've read anywhere, about anything.