Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

You know You Live In Berwyn If...

Started by Beans, March 24, 2006, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

Quote from: greeneyedgirl on March 25, 2006, 07:38:33 PM
You know you live in Berwyn when the schools celebrate Cinco de mayo!

The I & M Canal is finished! Finished! And yet the filthy Irish remain. What can be done with these poor wretches, come to Berwyn and invading parts even farther West? Cannot these ignorant souls return to the Chicago River to their homes in Hardscrabble? Why must we accomodate them? Their men and women are fit only for the lowliest, simplest labors; their dull-eyed children shall not be much better. Before this decade is out, they must be removed from Berwyn! President Polk, why do you do nothing about this?

Irish out! Berwyn for Berwyners!
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

OakParkSpartan

Betcha folks around these parts didn't speak Gallic to them.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ana

I would assume because "back in the day" there was more of a tolerance for biogtry.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Art on March 25, 2006, 10:49:48 PM
I would assume because "back in the day" there was more of a tolerance for biogtry.

Not sure what you are getting at Art? 

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

greeneyedgirl

You people need to lighten up!! It was a joke.  Don't act like you have never heard a hispanic joke either.  Oh and by the way I'm not Irish.  Every time I say antrhing on this berwyn talk everyone is so up tight. I don't think I even want to post anymore!

franklin train

awe... c'mon green eyes! Brrrrrwyyyyyn!!!!      ;D

Bru67

Quote from: Bear on March 25, 2006, 08:10:30 PM
Quote from: greeneyedgirl on March 25, 2006, 07:38:33 PM
You know you live in Berwyn when the schools celebrate Cinco de mayo!

Hmmm...sounds as if green eye has no tolerance of those with
brown eyes...Perhaps the ghetto known as Plainfield would suit
your needs better...

They only accept blue and green eyes there

Not true at all.  A lot of Latinos are moving to Plainfield now I am told, probably much to the chagrin of the ex-Berwynites who moved down there in the 1990s ;)

BPM

I think the crackers we bought our house from moved there to get away from latinos.

Ana

you are proud of telling people you live in Berwyn :o by making an effort (every chance I get) to work in all of the great things about Berwyn and downplay all of the negative history.

BTW, this Latino is staying put.  There will be no cowtipping, long commutes or living in shabby tornado targets for this Mexicana.  You Berwynites are going to have to put up with me for a very long time, but that's okay, I've learned to assimilate.   ;)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

franklin train

Im going to be here for a while also.  How does this thread turn into a race thing? Crazy...  Have a drink on me....   You know you live in Berwyn if...

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 25, 2006, 10:46:49 PM

Cheers,
Brian

My mistake, I'm a bit dyslexic.  I thought you meant that the Irish would not even think to speak Gaelic to folks in these parts.  

But now that we're on the subject . . . if there had been a migration of Irish as large as the migration of Latinos, then I am sure businesses back then would be hiring clerks, cashier's, etc. that spoke Gaelic to cater to the large Irish population and earn their Irish dollar.   ;)

And, btw, did you mean Gallic or Gaelic, do I need a history lesson?  :-\

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Art on March 26, 2006, 10:59:07 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 25, 2006, 10:46:49 PM

Cheers,
Brian

My mistake, I'm a bit dyslexic.  I thought you meant that the Irish would not even think to speak Gaelic to folks in these parts. 

But now that we're on the subject . . . if there had been a migration of Irish as large as the migration of Latinos, then I am sure businesses back then would be hiring clerks, cashier's, etc. that spoke Gaelic to cater to the large Irish population and earn their Irish dollar.   ;)

And, btw, did you mean Gallic or Gaelic, do I need a history lesson?  :-\

Naw, I should just be happy I didn't live back in Ireland in the day...folks might have had a problem with me speaking French.  LOL

Cheers,
Brian

Ana

Quote from: franklin train on March 26, 2006, 10:53:53 PM
Im going to be here for a while also.  How does this thread turn into a race thing? Crazy...  Have a drink on me....   You know you live in Berwyn if...

. . . every topic turns into a "race thing?"  did I kill it? 

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Art on March 26, 2006, 11:46:17 PM

. . . every topic turns into a "race thing?"  did I kill it? 

I think you just didn't phrase it properly... "if you don't know the difference between Gaelic and Gaulic".  sigh.  Erin go bragh.

scoon

Seemingly good natured threads on your  non-partisan community message board turn contentious at the drop of a hat.

p.s. - Bear, I still owe you a drink.

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Beans

You know...I am very proud to call everyone of you my neighbors. Seriously.

I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than Berwyn. Yeah, we're a little rough around the edges and have extremes in opinions, culture, and politics but, if you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us. STRONGER THAN DIRT!

Hey, I'm a Sesame Street Kid. All the monsters were different colors and at the end of the day, they all played well together.

See ya all at Proska Park.

'Nuff said.

greeneyedgirl

Seriously, I'm sorry I said anything..... it was a joke and the last time I checked there are alot of hispanics in this neighborhood.
So I was just making a comment to the degree of what I see.  I have lived here my whole life, and I'm not going anywhere either!
I was just saying, and everyone else out there don't pretend that you did think about making a comment like that. Don't pretend either
that you never made a comment in your life about a hispanic, hell they even make fun of themselfs.  Sorry that nobody thought it was funny!

CozyNite

...you have to explain Houby Day and why there is a parade celebrating it.

...the scent of bread follows you around the town.

...you can't get anywhere without someone first saying, "Say hi to your parents for me."

markberwyn

Quote from: cozynite on March 27, 2006, 08:36:36 PM

...the scent of bread follows you around the town.

You north-siders are lucky. I'm down by the Stickney sewage treatment plant; the scent following me around ain't bread.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes