News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

High Velocity Air Conditioning

Started by Suedehead, May 23, 2005, 08:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suedehead

Has anyone retro-fitted their bungalow with a Space Pak or Unico system? We're thinking of having it done in our Bungalow next year and we're curious of the cost.

Ana

I want to get it done this year.  I called Martinaire and asked them to come out for an estimate, but they never showed.  I am going to call at the beginning of next month to get estimates.  I'll let you know.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Robert Pauly

Why do you want Space Pak?  Clearance problems?  We just had a traditional system installed in our attic last week (main floor and attic air, attic heat).  The systems pretty cool, and pretty sophisticated.  Carrier equipment, and a special damper system to control air flow to either or both floors.  I can't wait for it to get hot to take it for a spin!

Ana

Did they have to knock down any of your walls?  Or were they able to run it through your walls somehow? 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Robert Pauly

Most of the work was done in the attic, which is presently unfinished.  The furnace / air handler is up there, as well as all of the duct work (three mian trunk lines, and the feeder lines to each individual room).  In a finished attic, my type of installation would be tricky - I could see where Space Pak-type ducts would work better. 

Suedehead

Our attic is open, but it's all drywalled, we have crawl spaces along all the walls. We're not at the point yet where we want to do any major renovation up there. I suppose you could put traditional duct work in there but it would be difficult i think. I've also been in many houses that have a space pak or unico system and they're a lot more quiet and you don't get a jet of cold air in just one place. Everyone i know who have them love them, but none of those people own bungalows.

Ana

check out the houseinprogress.com website.  they installed a spacepak or unico system in their chicago bungalow.  they also have a preference for one over the other. 

Ana

Well, we got 2 quotes.   

Unico system -- $26000 give or take a few.  It is designed for zone cooling, 1st floor on one and 2nd floor on another.  2 thermostats and 2 condensing units and 2 coils. 

Spacepak/Unico system - $16,500 -- 4 ton unit, 1 coil, 1 thermostat, 1 condensing unit. 

The first quote is from an experienced, reputable company concentrating in Spacepak/Unico and the other is from a local company.

I think we have about 2,000 sf total on 2 floors. 

Bru67

Yea, Spacepack and Unico systems are very costly.  Usually though, bungalows can use a standard central air system.  We converted ours to central a/c last year and it only cost about $7k for a standard system.  Air handler in attic and ducts dropping down from the ceiling (and crawl space sides to cool the upstairs).  They did a nice job and it works great   :)  As a product plug, we used Able Heating and Cooling in Brookfield.  They do good work and come in at a fair price.  Worth calling for an estimate.  

But yes, if your attic is finished, you may have issues because the air handler is in the crawl space. So if I want to ever remodel or expand that room, I'll have to be creative and build something around the air handler or simply use the same layout it has now.  But from a cost/benefit standpoint, well worth it.  The place was just too un-liveable without it.  

Roundabout

Had a conventional one installed 2 years ago.  House is a two story brick bungalow just under 2000 SF.      3 ton unit Lennox (14+ SEER) with an electronic air cleaner installed with 8 supplies (5 upstairs) and 3 on first floor and one large return in the stairway ceiling.  Air handler in the attic.  Paid $8000.  I'm not 100% happy with the system, but sure beats lugging those portables around.  Couple of suggestions:  If possible, write into the contract that the temperature of all of the rooms (up and down) should be approximately the same and approximately equal to the setting and hold out money until proven.  Seems like an obvious conclusion, but I'm still balancing my system.  Also, don't tie your condenser water drain in the attic to the toliet stack as my installer did.  Turns out those stacks tend to rot out due to the sewer gas.  I had to repair water damaged walls from the second floor to the basement due to this issue.  My installer was kind enough to redirect the drain to the outside...bless his heart, but didn't assume any responsibility for the wall damage even though he claimed to have seen rotted out stacks before in old houses.  A plumber I called in claims to replace these stacks regularly on old houses.  My installer was Ascot.  I suggest that you also go to chicagobunglow.org and check out that forum.  I've been to their bungalow show at IIT and they had some HVAC companies that have been installing these systems into Chicago bunglows.   Good Luck.         

dukesdad

I had a conventional system installed in our bungalow 3 years ago for about $7500. Ascot gave me a bid but I did not choose them because they wanted to install just one return sort of in the center of the house. The contractor I chose (Jones from La Grange) put returns in every room. That's the secret to getting the system balanced. The compressor is an Amana 14 SEER, works fine.

I Am Back

Quote from: Suedehead on May 23, 2005, 08:11:01 PM
Has anyone retro-fitted their bungalow with a Space Pak or Unico system? We're thinking of having it done in our Bungalow next year and we're curious of the cost.

I just hired George Jetson and Elroy to blow on me...it's cheaper.
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

I Am Back

Quote from: Art on May 23, 2005, 11:45:04 PM
Did they have to knock down any of your walls?  Or were they able to run it through your walls somehow?  

No! They made huge holes in the walls and installed these things called, "WINDOWS!!!"
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

pkd50

Aimee,  I don't think he means to be offensive in those two post.   They were very funny.   Tell the truth didn't it at least make you chuckle?   

I Am Back

Quote from: Aimee on July 31, 2005, 07:34:21 AM
Back (it)
You are such an ass. Have you reached the age of 3 yet?
Knock it off, else someone might respect you. Idiot!

Ouch! Must have struck a nerve there? Whats the matter...your place too hot? You want I should send George and Elroy to your place and blow on you for awhile?

I Am Back

Ana

Aimee,

Thanks!  FYI -- she/he doesn't bother me in the least.

Ana

I Am Back

Haven't you figured out yet that EVERYTHING has to do with ME??? The world does revolve around ME...'tis true...I kid you not! Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, and yes, MEEEEEEE!!!

I Am Back

Quote from: pkd50 on July 31, 2005, 09:19:33 AM
Aimee,  I don't think he means to be offensive in those two post.   They were very funny.   Tell the truth didn't it at least make you chuckle?    

Make up your minds. "He", "She", "It", "Creature." Why is it so hard to accept that I'm female? I grew up with 3 older brothers an 1 younger sister. If I'm too rough for you gals...Oh well...tough titties! I played football, basketball, softball, hockey, fast-pitch etc. with my brothers...they didn't go easy on me 'cause I was their 'lil sister. I grew up tough and that's why I don't take any sh*t. As far as my language...my father and oldest brother were Teamsters. To quote Cher in her role as Loretta in Moonstruck, "Snap out of it!"

hvychev

QuoteI miss the days of real men. Like my father. Went to work everyday in a factory, put food on the table, loved my mother and loved us kids, took us to church every Sunday. I never saw my father whimper or whine like the soft-skinned pansies on this bulletin board. I am really happy for you that you are sensitive enough to cry, but please do it in your own home or at your Metrosexual Spa while your getting a facial, pedicure and brazillian waxing while drinking the latest trendy beverage. What is is this week? Seaweed, water cress, cucumber with a hint of cilantro and a splash of tobasco for a touch of the wild-side? When is the official tree hugging taking place? I want to be there with my Bovier and allow him to mark his tree while one of you liberals is latched on to the tree like a pup to a bitch's teat.

IVB: Ipse Venena Bibas!

Back, I thought your dad worked in a factory?

Seriously, can you please just leave this part of the forum alone? It used to be just about the only useful part of this shit hole.....