News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Stone planters

Started by chandasz, May 24, 2005, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandasz

Hi. I'm relatively new to this list. We have a 1926 bungalow. We were very lucky to have bought it from a guy who did a lot of restoration on it. We don't know how to restore and we have a new baby so not much time! The wood is gorgeous. He was a carpenter and built all the cabintry in the kitchen himself. We don't have the glass and want to add some back so I'm reading those threads!

I also want to replace the stone planters out front that are missing. Where can I get these and about how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks!

OakParkSpartan

Not sure which planters you are referring to.  I don't have window boxes, but purchased a nice pot styled planter out in Downers(?) along the north side of Ogden Ave.  Prices were fairly reasonable, and the planter is made of concrete.

You can also spend hundreds of dollars up in Oak Park too.  We didn't see the point  :)

CHeers
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

This is the place we got ours, they have been at all the bungalow expos. They have lots of options, you can spend a little or a lot. If you go out to buy, you'll need a truck. They are poured concrete and really heavy.

New Lenox Statuary
281 E. Haven Ave
New Lenox, IL 60451

Email: tpawlak9414@sbcglobal.net

Phone: 815-485-1808
Fax: 815-485-1787

Suedehead

Quote from: dukesdad on May 24, 2005, 12:47:09 PM
This is the place we got ours, they have been at all the bungalow expos. They have lots of options, you can spend a little or a lot. If you go out to buy, you'll need a truck. They are poured concrete and really heavy.

New Lenox Statuary
281 E. Haven Ave
New Lenox, IL 60451

Email: tpawlak9414@sbcglobal.net

Phone: 815-485-1808
Fax: 815-485-1787

Web Page URL: http://www.thebirdgirl.com

Just an FYI, this was on the Chicago Bungalow board:

http://www.chicagobungalow.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=787

dukesdad

We got ours a couple of years ago, and had no problems. Sounds like they have gone 'round the bend.

Suedehead

such is life. I'm going to try and make my own this summer, how hard can it be?

chandasz

Wow! Thanks for all the input! I think I like the idea of $50 instead of $190! Nice to find such a knowledgeable group

OakParkSpartan

Ouch, Hidden Gardens is a bit slow to update their website.  Good to know the dates of the 2002 garden show though!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Suedehead

Aimee, can you post a picture of the boxes you bought? or a really detailed description =)

thanks

Suedehead

I want cement ones, i've found enough plans online to muddle my through it. We'll just see how long that project sits on the shelf before i get to it.

thanks.

OakParkSpartan

The Brickyard Lowe's is nice, as far as big box home stores go.

Maybe I am just burnt out on Home Depot, but I find Lowe's brighter, cleaner and just a more enjoyable shopping experience.

Cheers,
Brian

marysol_21

Feel free to drive by the 1500 block of Wesley. I think you will know which house is mind.
Just look for the guy in the grass trying to find any weeds. Thats Neal my Husband who is  always looking to get rid of anything he did not plant.

Aimee,

That is a beautiful block. I pass through the block every morning on my way to work after dropping of the kiddies. Several trees with the lawns nicely kept and most have simple landscaping with wonderful flowers. :)

marysol_21

I was planning on emailing Jim Ramos to get any information on current 2nd ward events, where I live. Haven't heard too much going on there   ???

hvychev

Here is Aimees beautiful Bungalow. Man what a yard! :o

pkd50

Classic  what a beauty  I love Berwyn and it's bungalows!

dukesdad

The planters on the steps are from Wannemakers out in Downers Grove. The ones under the windows are from New Lenox.

dukesdad

Here's the backyard, my wife's work, not mine.

OakParkSpartan

Wannemakers is cool.

I was up at the inlaws a couple weeks ago in Saginaw, MI, stopped at at a nursery.  Ended up bringing back a dozen plants.  7 in 1 Gal pots...for a grand total of about $55.  I think sometimes our sense of value gets distorted down here in Chicagoland, where we think outrageous prices are normal.

I also hit The Growing Place, out in Aurora last weekend.  It wasn't as kind on the pocketbook, but they have a huge selection, and are very helpful.  Worth the drive IMHO.

Cheers,
Brian

Suedehead

Robert Pauly

dukesdad - I know your house - it's one of my favorite bungalows - love your front yard landscaping.  The neighbor to the south of you doesn't do a bad job either!