News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Grubs

Started by Beans, May 05, 2006, 01:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beans

How do I get rid of grubs without resorting to chemical pesticides?

OakParkSpartan

Invite birds and skunks to your yard...

Or, Milky Spore (which I think is the one that ONLY works on the Japanese Beetle larva, otherwise you've wasted the powder).
Beneficial Nematodes are also supposed to work.  I believe they are a parasite.

Check out www.gardenweb.com  for info.

www.gardensalive.com has the nematodes.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Paul Fuentes

Birds and skunks will only get the toppers.  Most of the grub population is well beneath the surface.  Thus, you have to use "smart bombs" to penetrate the earth's surface and eliminate the hostiles.  Chems is the only way.

War is an unappealing yet necessary element of change for better.

Suzy Q

I'm not sure, but I thought that if you put out a shallow dish of beer, grubs will be attracted to it.  They will then fall in and drown.  Has anyone else heard of this?

jqpublic

Quote from: Suzy Q on May 09, 2006, 04:30:29 PM
I'm not sure, but I thought that if you put out a shallow dish of beer, grubs will be attracted to it.  They will then fall in and drown.  Has anyone else heard of this?

You're thinking of slugs.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 05, 2006, 01:06:07 PM

Or, Milky Spore (which I think is the one that ONLY works on the Japanese Beetle larva, otherwise you've wasted the powder).

Cheers,
Brian

We just treated our yard with beneficial nematodes purchased at Sids in Palos Hills.  I'll let you know if we notice a difference.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ted

Quote from: Ana on May 14, 2006, 12:13:06 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 05, 2006, 01:06:07 PM

Cheers,
Brian

We just treated our yard with beneficial nematodes purchased at Sids in Palos Hills.  I'll let you know if we notice a difference.

Anna,

Did this work for you?  My back yard looks like there was a pitbull fight in it... the birds are picking at the ground continuously.

Ted

Crunchie

You're thinking of me.

Bonster

Quote from: Crunchie on April 22, 2008, 05:39:58 PM
You're thinking of me.

LOL you SOB!  :D :D
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"