News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Internist

Started by Robert Pauly, May 08, 2006, 09:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

My insurance plan just changed, and I'm in need of a new internist.  Not fully trusting the physician's referrals from the new plan, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any good docs in the area.  I wouldn't mind traveling 10 miles or so for someone good.  Thanks in advance for your help.

scoon

So far so good with Primary Care Associates at 6840 Windsor.  The thing we like most is they keep to a schedule, usually within 5 min or so, yet I don't ever feel rushed.

I use Brad Wainer, but have also seen Matthew Hsieh (pronounces shay)...

708-484-0042

noodles

I have Dr. Daniel Sisbarro. He is at Loyola Outpatient Center right next to the hospital. He is an excellent doctor. A lot of nurses at the hospital have him as their doctor, so that is why I chose him and I am not disappointed. The only problem w/ Loyola is that you have to make your yearly appointment 3 months in advance and  over the phone you never speak w/ the doctor just the triage nurse. On the bright side  in case of an emergency i would rather have the ambulance take me to loyola than macneal

pkd50

An ambulance will take you to the nearest hospital.   If you live in Berwyn, that would be MacNeal.  Once they stabilize you, if you have to be admitted, you can transfer by private ambulance.  However, most insurance companies will not pay for that $500 ride.  I had that happen more times than I like to remember with my husband.  His doctors finally convinced Blue Cross that he should treated at a major medical center that did transplants and could handle post transplant patients.

noodles

pkd50-thats odd b/c two years ago when my mother was getting neutrpenic(sp)fevers from chemo the paramedics told us that they can take her to loyola even though she wasn't stabilized. they said that that use to be the case years back but now they can take them to hospitals w/in the area including loyola, west suburban and macneal.

pkd50

That's great that they are doing that now.  It never use to be the case, because they had to keep the ambulances in the immediate area, or so I was told.  Berwyn took him to MacNeal and they would call Superior for the ride to Rush.  A few years ago that was a $500 ride.  It's probably more today.

noodles

I know that is why i was at first a  little hesitant to find a doctor at loyola b/c  the ambulance would take you straight to macneal, so i had found a doctor affiliated w/ macneal, but when my mom was diagnosed w/ cancer her oncologist was at loyola and the ambulance took her there  several times even when she was critical. after that i changed doctors so fast from macneal to loyola b/c like mentioned in other threads macneal has gone downhill. even though there are some great doctors affiliated w/ macneal the hospital itself is frightening

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Personally, I wouldn't affiliate myself in any way, shape, or form with McNeal. Not even as a joke.

Had a bad experience at Loyola with an oncologist's diagnosis, but overall I would go there.

Rush was top notch.

McNeal I wouldn't take a dead rat to.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

scoon

Maybe someone else from the police academy can help me out here... but if I remember correctly, by law the ambulance cannot go past another hospital in a life threateing situation unless you sign a form stating that you won't hold them liable.  But I believe that in non life threatening situations you can go to the hospital of your choice.

I could be wrong.

BTW La Pantera....  Where exactly would you take a dead rat?

OakParkSpartan

My understanding too scoon.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

What if I get sick and want to go the Northwestern, and you get sick and want to go to Christ, and somebody else gets sick and wants to go to Alexian Bros?   The ride isn't the only thing that takes time.  The admit and restocking their rig are time consuming.  So now you have three Berwyn ambulances tied up.  How would that work?

OakParkSpartan

You'd need to ask the FD that question.  I think there are about a half dozen hospitals they tend to go to...MacNeal, Loyola, Oak Park, Laredo, West Sub...maybe a couple of others.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

I know a fireman.  I'll ask him next time I see him.  I do remember when I worked at MacNeal the only time Berwyn didn't bring somebody there was if we were on bypass.  I also remember when my husband was alive that MacNeal had a contract with Superior.  They had to respond to MacNeal's call for transfer within 30 minutes or there was some monetary penalty. When I still knew the ER docs, they would start the paper works for Tom's transfer immediately for me.  While the docs were treating him they would have the clerk working on a transfer.  All of that was a few years ago, so things may have changed.

scoon

Quote from: pkd50 on May 11, 2006, 12:41:12 PM
What if I get sick and want to go the Northwestern, and you get sick and want to go to Christ, and somebody else gets sick and wants to go to Alexian Bros?   The ride isn't the only thing that takes time.  The admit and restocking their rig are time consuming.  So now you have three Berwyn ambulances tied up.  How would that work?

Mutual aid.  Dispatch will contact Riverside, Oak Park, etc. if all our ambulances are in service.  Same goes for the trucks as well.

pkd50

I know that in an emergengy all the units would move up to cover the area, but it's hard to believe that they will take me to Skokie Valley Hospital because I have a doctor there and expect Riverside to take Berwyn's calls.  If they do take you to other hospitals, it must just be a few that are near, so we should find out where they will go before deciding on a doctor.

scoon

Quote from: pkd50 on May 11, 2006, 04:48:53 PM
I know that in an emergengy all the units would move up to cover the area, but it's hard to believe that they will take me to Skokie Valley Hospital because I have a doctor there and expect Riverside to take Berwyn's calls.  If they do take you to other hospitals, it must just be a few that are near, so we should find out where they will go before deciding on a doctor.

First of all.  Riverside would cover the call.  That's the way mutual aid works.  Berwyn would do the same for them. 

But I think your example is a little out of whack... ...  Skokie Valley...?  c'mon....

Why would anyone pick a doctor that doesn't have privileges anywhere near them?

pkd50

I don't think anybody would.  I also don't think an ambulance is a taxi that will take you wherever you tell them to.

OakParkSpartan

Like I said, there is a limited number of hospitals that they transport people to.  I listed them above.  Draw a circle about 4 miles in diameter, and you probably have a reasonable estimate of where they will take you.

Berwyn responds to North Riverside calls as well.  All the departments in the area back each other up.

Cheers,
Brian