News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

City Council - May 9, 2006

Started by scoon, May 10, 2006, 12:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

Council - May 9

The council came in late after a closed COW session.  All the Aldermen were dressed up last night.  Even Erickson had a jacket and tie on.  Both went well with his ripped jeans.  --  Can someone volunteer to take him to Goodwill to get a jacket that doesn't have gold buttons?  I'd bet $5 those buttons have anchors on them. 

As the meeting was called to order at 8:13, I couldn't help but wonder if Alderman Ramos had shrunk...  Or maybe got a haircut?  Something was different.

Anyway...  After the pledge and the moment of silence open forum was, well, opened.

The Mayor went first.  May 15 is Peace Officers Memorial Day and the entire week is in honor of the police department.  So hug a cop next week.

The clerk announced that Dollars for Scholars applications are now available.  I'm signing up to see if I can take an English class that will teach me how to right gudder.

Then started the parade of citizens...

Citizen Don said that the city doesn't need yet another attorney since there are three (supposed) attorneys already on the council (and I'm not talking about #3 or #7 here).  He also recommended to the mayor that he split the 2005 budget between the past administration and the current one, and indict immediately if they see any misdeeds to send a message that Berwyn doesn't tolerate impropriety.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything when I say this, but I hope he would have the same opinion if any misdeeds were found with the current administration.  After all...  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  People seem to forget that around here sometimes when they've invested time and money into a campaign.

He tipped his hand also admonished the council for not working with the mayor.  Citizen Don doesn't want to see the "corrupt Democrats" come back.  -- The "corrupt Democrats" comments stirred up some, let's say, sentiment from the gallery. 

My thoughts?  The previous administration had Alderman who voted the party line, minus one.  Now that minus one is mayor, and Citizen Don wants the Alderman to vote exactly as he says?

So much for the what's good for the goose is good for the gander thing.

Citizen Diane (Weiner) read a letter to the council about how the council seems to think that reform issues that they ran on like gas keys and health insurance are suddenly trivial or too difficult to deal with.  She wants to see a public and timely discussion and vote on these issues.  I think we all would.  -- Alderman Erickson did not pay any attention to her.

Citizen Vickie and her husband are not in favor of a city manager.  She went on at length about it and how she worked for the IVB and she's disappointed in them.  She thinks that egos and personal agendas are getting in the way.  Really?  In Berwyn politics?  -- Once again, Alderman Erickson's body language clearly communicated that he didn't care.

Truth be told, I stopped listening after a while.  Granted my attention span is horrible, but there's only so long that I can listen to someone complain.  I'd much rather listen to myself complain.

Berwyn Historical Society Mary, who had this bookish yet sexy thing going on, wanted all of us to know that on May 22 there will be a workshop on researching the history of your home at the Berwyn Library.  So you suckers who didn't buy your house from the original owner may want to check this out.  -- I might check it out to help a friend do some research on her haunted condo.  (No lie, I've seen it.)

A soccer mom brought a team from the Berwyn Blazers in to request that the city invest money in soccer fields that are up to par with the fields in Naperville, etc.  City grants for minivans and Suburbans with soccer stickers on the back window will probably be next.  We want to keep up with Naperville in that regard too.

Alderman Ramos honored two park district board members...

And that ended the open forum which the mayor suggested that we should applaud... apparently there's a time limit for hearing the concerns of citizens.

The previous meeting minutes were accepted as amended.

We have three new police officers who were sworn in.  Half the audience followed them out into the hall for pictures.  (They don't know what they missed.)  The mayor stated that these were new positions, not replacements.

The Fire Department labor contract was approved.  Alderman Ramos voted against the Police contract because fire fighters would be conducting union business on city time.  I'm sure they'll come extra quick to his house now.

The library received no bids for installing garage door openers and it was sent back to the library board for review.  I'll do it for $200 and a 12 pack.  I'll warn you though, I'm not mechanically inclined and it only gets worse as the number of beers in the 12 pack decreases.

Now the fun started... 

The item was to defer the mayoral appointments, but a motion to approve the appointments as amended on its face was made.  Alderman Chapman argued that there were too many amendments to approve and asked why it wasn't going to the Admin Committee as previously agreed in COW.  The Mayor did not see it that way and wanted to approve it immediately, with the amendments, because the appointments expired on May 1st.  Alderman Erickson assured The Mayor that status quo would be kept and that no one would lose their job. 

After much contention, it was eventually referred to Admin with the amended ordinance dealing with the appointment of officers.

This is National Historic Preservation month.  I guess that means those of you at 2625 Oak Park Ave. can keep preserving the history of Christmas 2005 by keeping your decorations up for another month.

There will be an ad hoc committee formed to meet in a local business with business owners to discuss the Cook County Clean Air ordinance.  The committee will consist of Alderman Skryd as chair, Alderman Lovero, and Alderman Ramos at the request of The Mayor because he is a non-smoker. 

Alderman Lovero asked if it would be an official meeting off site and The Mayor said yes as long as it wasn't in a bar.  Which it won't be... for whatever reason...  Alderman Phelan stated he would have volunteered had it been in a bar.  -- I probably would attend a committee meeting were it in a bar.  Ok, if they happened to be at OoT when I was there, I might pay attention.

The proposed changes to streamline the meeting agenda order was sent to Ordinance and Resolution.

Landscaping costs that cannot be paid for with TIF funds will be covered and the funds will be found later.  The Mayor does not want the flowers held up.  During the vote Alderman Brocato asked if the flowers would be held up.  No Ben.  Go back to sleep.

The cost of living increases for some city employees was discussed, at length...  Alderman Chapman wanted the line items to be discussed at the mid-year budget adjustment and have the increases be paid retroactively lest they go over budget.  The Mayor wanted to avoid the retro payment checks and have them increases go through on the employee anniversary dates and find the funds later.  As he pointed out similar to what they did with the flowers.

The item was not referred to budget... So I guess they get their raises.  Frankly, those of us in the audience really didn't understand what had just happened.

During this discussion it was pointed out to me that the city's $300 an hour attorney was nodding off.  Literally.  He then got up and walked out of the room while the discussion was continuing.

Our very own former board admin Jim was appointed as the Director of Computers.  Congrats Jim.  Alderman Brocato seemed to take issue with Jim's resume not having his address on it and wanted to know if he lived in Berwyn.  Jim does and stated that he lived on Euclid.  "U street?" asked the Alderman. 

Yes, U street... it's new.

The Zoning Board appeal for 1239 On Wisconsin (grand old Badger state) was denied.  Alderman Erickson made a motion to agree with the board's recommendation to deny the appeal.  During the vote he then had to clarify that voting aye to his own motion was to deny the appeal.

Ladies and Gentlemen... your 8th ward Alderman.

Gunderson will be closed from 34th to Ogden on June 3rd for a car show/ bikini car wash at 1st Congregational Church.  Plan your routes accordingly.  (The bikini part may not be accurate.)

The city is going to cooperate with district 98 to investigate overcrowding, after legal approves that there aren't any privacy issues compromised.  We must protect the privacy of those breaking the rules at all costs.

Some old guy wearing a Boozie McBooze hat had gone up and talked with Erickson for the third time.  I was later told that he was a reporter for one of the Spanish newspapers.  Taking his cue I walked up and took a swig from Alderman Skryd's water bottle.  I too was a reporter and I was thirsty.

Alderman Chapman proposed that the council override The Mayor's veto of the proposed time limit and frequency of meeting ordinance.  The Mayor made it very clear that voting aye is voting for the ordinance, and voting nay means you agree with The Mayor.  Some of us have noticed a propensity for him to clarify what the Alderman are voting for and exactly how he thinks they should vote.

Just a tip Mr. Mayor, you might want to use reverse psychology because the override carried... including an aye from Alderman Brocato which elicited a frustrated arm flop by The Mayor.  Sleeping Beauty advised that The Mayor can sign the bill or it will become an ordinance after 10 days.   A motion to then refer it to Ordinance and Resolution was then approved.

There will be a sign erected for the Farmers Market at its location that was paid for by the BDC.  Farmers market starts with weekend with a plant sale just in time for Mother's Day.  Get something nice for your mom, she put up with a lot of crap from you and you've been nothing but a disappointment.

The non-union cost of living increase of 2.75% was referred to COW.  They'll have to owe their soul to the company store a bit longer.

The visitor parking permit issue and a request from the police chief to review the ordinance were made Jermaine (Jackson if you're nasty).  A motion was made by Alderman Skryd to send the ordinance to the police chief.  It was pointed out that an ordinance does not yet exist, therefore there is nothing to send to the police chief, but The Mayor wanted a vote anyway.  Alderman Lovero lost his cool a little bit and suggested that the Alderman who submitted the item make the motion. 

The motion was amended to refer what they had to the police chief and was shot down.  It was eventually deferred.

Amending Chap. 666 regarding motor vehicle noise (a fitting number) was also deferred.

Apparently The Mayor reads my little re-cap and asked why items were submitted if there was no action and they're only going to be deferred.  It only wastes time.

Alderman Lovero apologized, somewhat (and rightfully) sarcastically, that he didn't get it done as he had planned because he was on vacation...  I'll give him a pass since I'll be missing this Friday's deadline at work to celebrate my anniversary with a pinch and tickle session in Galena.

Next two items from The Mayor's office were items to be removed from the referral list, and submitted as informational.  Alderman Lovero pointed out that there was no action on those items, and they were also a waste of time.

The payroll was approved, but Aldermen Phelan and Erickson both voted nay based on Alderman Erickson's private counsel telling him that some line items are illegal.  The Mayor asked him to please share with the rest of us which line items he is referring to.  Alderman Erickson says he intends to.  When?  My guess is when his next manifesto is finished.

Wait.  Private counsel?  Isn't he a lawyer?

The payables were approved.  Apparently nothing fishy going on there.

Alderman Erickson tried to explain his gas key agenda.  Since only two Alderman currently use it, he doesn't feel it's a big deal.  He's more interested in the records of the past administration which he says he requested, in digital format, but has not received.  The Mayor pointed out that the info is on his desk in print; that the police department doesn't want to give it out digitally; and asked if print would suffice.  Apparently not.  We live in a digital age and Alderman Erickson is a digital pioneer.  (See: http://www.berwynfirst.com)

So we seem to be at an impasse here. 

And why does he care so much about what the previous administration did?  Could he be searching for something to make The Mayor look bad? 

Yes, it's that transparent.

Alderman Erickson also proposed unifying the city council by proposing a radical power shift that would change the way mayoral appointments are approved... basically putting it in the hands of the council.  As I've said before, there need to be checks and balances, but I'm not sure that this will "unify" the council and the mayor.

In fact, it's probably done just the opposite.

But Alderman Erickson assured us that he is altruistic in his goals despite speaking his mind, for which he admits he's taken hits, and deservedly so.  He pointed out that everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.  I'm not sure why he pointed it out, but file that one away for the next time you want to sound profound in a conversation.

Harris Bank's line of credit was raised.  I would like to remind the council that Mrs. Scoon and I want a Four Winns Horizon 210 Sunsport.  (http://www.fourwinns.com/lineprod.cfm?model=210)  We're not asking for much.

Apparently paver stones for Cermak Road can be paid for with TIF funds, but the maintenance cannot.  Might we see this in our future cruises down Cermak?

School crossings will be re-striped for all our jay-walking, hoodlum students to ignore.

There will be 24 new trash receptacle lids on Cermak!  We were told to thank Brian Pabst for these.  With all that he and the BDC have done, apparently this is their crown jewel.  Who knew?

Right about this time I noticed that the lights keep dimming.  Not sure if it's really happening or if it's just the blinding pain from my sciatic nerve after sitting in that pew for so long.

The city and the BDC have agreed to use certain street poles.  I guess for the banners.  I think I want to buy one and try to slip something past the censors...

The consent agenda was accepted and I couldn't sit for another moment.  After a little mingling it was time for refreshments.

And that is the meeting that was. 

markberwyn

Quote from: scoon on May 10, 2006, 12:42:39 PM

Alderman Erickson also proposed unifying the city council by proposing a radical power shift that would change the way mayoral appointments are approved... basically putting it in the hands of the council.  As I've said before, there need to be checks and balances, but I'm not sure that this will "unify" the council and the mayor.

But Alderman Erickson assured us that he is altruistic in his goals despite speaking his mind, for which he admits he's taken hits, and deservedly so.  He pointed out that everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.  I'm not sure why he pointed it out, but file that one away for the next time you want to sound profound in a conversation.

So, what happened to his proposal, then?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bear

Let's hear about the haunted condo
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scoon

Quote from: markberwyn on May 10, 2006, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: scoon on May 10, 2006, 12:42:39 PM

So, what happened to his proposal, then?

If you want details you're reading the wrong recap...   

He wanted it sent to Admin and Budget but Ald. Chapman proposed it just go to Admin due to vacation schedules and she would attend on behalf of the Budget Comm.

T-Stan RPCV

Well played Scoon.  You da' man!

Ana

Thanks scoon, once again, a job well done.  Sitting at the council meetings are not as much fun as reading your recap, let me tell you.   :fiveoh:
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

markberwyn

Scoon, I think your ship's come in . . .

Suburban Life Newspapers (North Riverside, IL) seeks a reporter
who can cover municipal governments, park districts, libraries, police,
features and issue stories; reporters must develop story ideas and
assign photos; must have a car and newspaper writing experience is
preferred.  Clips and resume to the Suburban Life Newspapers Reporter Position,
7222 W. Cermak Rd., Suite 505, N. Riverside, IL 60546. 

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bear

Scoon, we anxiously await the haunted condo story...

I don't think any paranormal event would leave you speechless,
here is one for everyone that I know of I will post the Moline House story when
I find it
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/IL-Cigars.html
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bear

Here is the Moline house deal

Berwyn
The Moline House is haunted by a dark shadow figure. Objects end up missing or moving on their own. The Moline House is a private residence. It is located in Berwyn west of Cicero on Wesley Ave.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/2007/ind.html

31st and Wesley, south east corner house. The owners took the address off the front of the home,
me thinks they had too many strange characters showing up on their doorstep

markberwyn

scoon

Thank you to my devoted fans...

And more about the haunted condo here...  http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1695.0

Terri

Bear,

My house isn't haunted, we had it exercised when we moved in.  In all seriousness, we do live in the Moline house.  I have all the info and will have Steve scan it in if your interested but will start a new post.  Maybe under Scoon's haunted condo. 

We are told, the Moline house was the second built in Berwyn, 1888.  He was a wealthy coal man and this was originally his farm.  The story was begun when two men died in the barn, falling on pitch forks.  Not unusual in that time period. 

I'll continue later on the haunted condo post. 

Terri

Bear

Terri,

Life is so...

uncertain.

What are the odds that someone from
our board would live in the Moline house?