Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

May 23, 2006 City Council

Started by Beans, May 24, 2006, 09:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beans

OakParkSpartan

Didn't attend...

It was rather fast and not very contentious.

Four new police hires (experienced officers) were sent to Budget to find the money.

A noise ordinance was passed.

Parking ordinances are going to be reviewed by the chief.

A house on a 25-foot lot in Phelen's ward was approved (Erickson made some interesting comments, basically stating he thinks only in terms of wards, and not what is best for the city.  Power baby, power!).

Appointments for Dollars for Scholars(?) were referred to the mayor.  This one will probably prompt fireworks down the road, because I get the feeling the mayor and the clerk are not on the same page with the appointments.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

What was the deal with the mayors trip
to Mexico?
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Boris

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 24, 2006, 09:15:14 AM

A noise ordinance was passed.

hmmm...does this mean we can now call the cops on boom-boom cars and neighbors who park their boom-booming cars in their driveway while boom-booming?

...just askin'
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

OakParkSpartan

I think so Boris.  Potential seizure and $750 fine.

The item about the mayor's trip to Mexico was withdrawn.  Don't know any details about it.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

Quote from: T. Jones on May 24, 2006, 09:08:14 AM
Scoon...?

Due to my inability to keep solids or liquids in my body for the past 48 hours or so, I felt it best not to attend.  I would have only missed most of it anyway.

I will formulate a Mad Libs style recap that can be filled in by someone who attended in the event of another such occurence.

Beans

Due to my inability to keep solids or liquids in my body for the past 48 hours or so, I felt it best not to attend.
[/quote]
Now THAT would have made a statement...next time don't be so sensible.

Get well soon buddy.

jqpublic

From Mark Weiner's blog:

An amended Noise Ordinance concerning cars/noise from cars, was sent back to the Ordinance Committee simply so it could be drafted. It will be up for vote at the next meeting, May 23, 2006. It should pass. As a penalty, a person's car will be impounded until $500.00 is paid to get the car back.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Boris

$500?

I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that our fair city could easily net $3000/day simply by parking an unmarked car in front of my house.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

jqpublic

Quote from: Boris on May 24, 2006, 03:30:49 PM
$500?

I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that our fair city could easily net $3000/day simply by parking an unmarked car in front of my house.

I just heard about $3K worth of fines drive past after Morton got out. Lots of cash to be had out there.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

markweiner

The ordinance did pass, which includes impounding the vehicle.  Hopefully, this will help curb the noise.

If anyone thinks there is a traffic trouble spot, call or write your Alderman.  The police will then stake it out. The love that stuff.

Finally, the Governor just passed a bill, effective January 1, 2007, that will allow Cities, including Berwyn, to have the camera-mounted device that will send tickets to speeders and can be used other ways.  We are pursuing this and hope to have it in place by January 1, 2007.

Mark

T-Stan RPCV

If the police are looking for noise trouble spots they would really enjoy the Tasty Freeze at 26th and Clarence.  Non-stop ticket writing with a dipped cone chaser.

It amazes me that the cars there can shake the windows in my house on every night from 300+ yards away.  But it is not the noise that bothers me most.  It is the fact that I love Tastee Freeze as a good old school family hang out that appeals to everyone in the neighborhood.  A good friendly mix of parents with young ones, teens, DINKS and seniors.  Then boom car pulls up and screws it up for everyone.

~LL~

Quote from: Boris on May 24, 2006, 03:30:49 PM
$500?

And another $4,000. plus per day -- at least-- if an unmarked could park near the intersection of 27th & Clarence -- between 10 pm. and 3 a.m. -- for the speeders, the wheel screechers, and the sonic boom sound systems.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

~LL~

Quote from: T-Stan RPCV on May 24, 2006, 04:24:29 PM
If the police are looking for noise trouble spots they would really enjoy the Tasty Freeze at 26th and Clarence.  Non-stop ticket writing with a dipped cone chaser.

It amazes me that the cars there can shake the windows in my house on every night from 300+ yards away.  But it is not the noise that bothers me most.  It is the fact that I love Tastee Freeze as a good old school family hang out that appeals to everyone in the neighborhood.  A good friendly mix of parents with young ones, teens, DINKS and seniors.  Then boom car pulls up and screws it up for everyone.

Yes, T-Stan -- and quite often these are the same drivers who disturb the peace at the 27th & Clarence intersection area...  Some of these sound systems probably cause a reading on a Richter Scale!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

renovatorbear

Quote from: LL-Schmidt
And another $4,000. plus per day -- at least-- if an unmarked could park near the intersection of 27th & Clarence -- between 10 pm. and 3 a.m. -- for the speeders, the wheel screechers, and the sonic boom sound systems.

hmmm...probably the same upstanding citizen that screeches around our neighborhood (Clarence, between 22nd & 21st).  the "music" and booming is so loud that it sets off multiple car alarms for blocks around.  and the drag strip style screeching goes on and on, right in the middle of town.

until reading that there may now be some hope that these jerks will be fined, my only consolation was knowing that they would be deaf before they turn 30.  :angry8:

Bear

OK...Several topics for the same dime, as we have all been busy being outside
and such...By the way, when you plant your tomatoes, throw an egg in the base
of the root ball and mush it, it has all the nutrients a mato needs, bigger Big Boys...

RE: last nights COW, I was not there but my sources told me it was CLOSED
for a full two hours. Council went directly to the city council meeting afterwards. Cow is only supposed to be closed for litigation or employee issues,
and re-opened to the public after those issues have been dealt with.

Sounds like bickering and the usual bantering was held in private, a full violation of the open meetings act.

Just when I thought robert carr had made an effort to raise the lifeless newspaper beyond the dismal and inept publication it is, he made a fool of himself in today's life.

His lame mention of a fishing trip with Lovero, Laureto and stillo was heresay pandering at best.
Lovero has stated publicly there is a definite line between past political associations with stillo and friendship. I trust Bobby on his word.

Perhaps mr carr would have been better served to cover the trip to Mexico with our mayor
and larry dominic, mayor of the fine city of cicero to establish "sister cities" in Mexico with our neighbors to the south...

An interesting concept, to say the least in light of current events. But than again, it was struck from the agenda like so many american idols...

Priorities I guess, that is more of a January junket anyway....gotta plan road trips on
climate feasability.

Yes T-Stan summer is here...on Kenilworth we have people off to the raceway, hitting
speeds of 45 mph plus heading north from the stop sign at 34th. They are in a hurry to
get to Kafka's apartment building at 3302 where there has been open drug dealing going
on for quite some time. I'm sure BPD is on top of the situation because cook county parole
officers are there every day checking up on their charges and Im sure those sharp guys share
info with BPD, strogers finest mind you.

With all of the  accidents that occur at 34th , Grove and Kenilworth one would think we would see a greater police presence to catch these pesky rascals...

My faith rests with BPD to resolve this situation...

However, if it takes time, my neighbors and I have developed an alternatve plan. I have a manequin of a five year old child reaching for a ball. To entertain myself I have set up a pulley
system as I sit on the front porch...When I see a speeder hitting exsessive speed in front of my home.... well, you get the message, more customers for cardiac care at macneal...

And Scoon, you would not have those pesking viral infections if you kept your BAC up
to acceptable levels. Dr Bear must send you to my personal pharmacy, right at the end of the rainbow...

You do a better job of keeping us amused

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

markberwyn

Quote from: Bear on May 24, 2006, 09:57:39 PMSounds like bickering and the usual bantering was held in private, a full violation of the open meetings act.

Known fact? Or are you just guessing here?

Quote from: Bear on May 24, 2006, 09:57:39 PM
Just when I thought robert carr had made an effort to raise the lifeless newspaper beyond the dismal and inept publication it is,

Tell me about three important Berwyn-related stories the Life failed to report or misreported in the past six months, please.

His lame mention of a fishing trip with Lovero, Laureto and stillo was heresay pandering at best.

How was it hearsay? The trip and Stillo's companions were part of the court record, no?

Lovero has stated publicly there is a definite line between past political associations with stillo and friendship. I trust Bobby on his word.

Ah, OK. We take politicians at their word now. No need for newspapers to report things about them.

Anyway, where's the passage in the story accusing Lovero of doing anything untoward? All I took from it was that Lovero was the current public official closest to Stillo. Of course you call that guy for a comment. Why on earth wouldn't you?

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

BountyHunter

This ordinance does not "sound" like something you could actually report unless it was blatent like a guy washing his car across the street as his boom mobile slowly shakes surrounding homes off their foundation.

A car comes down your block booming away.  The guy pulls into his driveway down the block from you.  Can you call the police and expect them to tow the car? based on your word?

I don't see big time enforcement on this one.

OakParkSpartan

There was also discussion of a BDC matter in closed session (how do I know...well, there were about 6 BDC folks there that went into the closed session).  Things like land acquisitions etc can be closed.

Do you really think given the state of council, that SOMEONE wouldn't speak up if topics in closed session should be held in open session?

The Mexico trip was apparently because a city down there wanted to be our sister city.  Hopefully that is on hold.  Can't say that would be a great move given today's political climate on illegal immigration.

Cheers,
Brian

BountyHunter

You demonstrate that either because "6 BDC folks" were in there that this leads you to assume something such as a "land acquisition" was discussed, OR that after the closed session one of the 6 revealed information to you.  Leaks.  If it is the latter, then if one is allowed to know, then all should be allowed to know.  No?  I don't know much about closed sessions that is for sure.  It would be helpful to know what the criteria is for something to go behind doors.  But if something does go behind closed doors, why is it that shortly afterward a select few know what happened there?  What is it that puts one person above the rest of the tax paying residents?

If the case is that you assume that "land acquisition" was being discussed, how does that really respond to another poster's remark that "Cow is only supposed to be closed for litigation or employee issues,and re-opened to the public after those issues have been dealt with."  If this poster is correct, does land acquistion fall under "litigation" or "employee issues"?

You state that land acquisition "can be closed".  Anything "can" be closed if the powers that be deem it so.  What are the rules and regs and then we can decide whether that falls into something that should be closed.  When one thinks of litigation you normally would think of a matter in dispute.  I would think land acquisition falls into real estate and unless there was a dispute over the real estate, the only other legal needs would be to effect the transaction.  That I do not think should be kept from the tax paying residents.  Let the fiasco over the Superblock shed some light.

Didn't we have enough behind closed doors with the old administration.