News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

June 6, 2006 COW

Started by scoon, June 08, 2006, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

Ok, this is a day late, but again I must remind you that I'm not getting paid for this and the donations have been disappointing at best.  I have to focus on finding paying gigs first.

I'm going to focus on the items of consequence or things I want to complain about.

Compliance Fee changes / Fire inspections – The Mayor talked at length about fining bad landlords.  Not just landlords with bad buildings, but also linking nuisance complaints made to the police, etc. The idea of multi-unit building inspections on a yearly basis also was proposed.

The idea behind this being that if the landlord gets fined enough for their bad tenants, they'll get rid of them. Two model cities of Elgin and Aurora have done this and we're going to model ourselves after them.  To be fair, Elgin has done a good job of this, but having come from Aurora, I'm not sure that I'd give them as high of praise. 

Alderman Brocato mentioned that much of our problems come from section 8 tenants.  The Mayor was quick to point out that not all section 8 tenants are bad. He didn't say it in an attempt to remain politically correct, but more in a defensive manner.

Here's why this won't be the magic fix some think it'll be.  I know people who have purchased real estate for the sole purpose of renting to section 8.  Why would they want to do this?  Guaranteed income.  The government sends the check every month.  There's no risk of renting to a deadbeat like me who quits his job and won't pay his rent.

Number of Lateral Entry police officers – There is a proposal to hire experienced police officers from other cities.  Instead of sending them to the academy, they will be on the street immediately.

The lateral entry officers will be paid the same as a Patrol 1 grade officer, and will receive a $2000 bonus.  Alderman Ramos didn't understand why give them a bonus.  Despite it being common practice in the private sector to make a position more attractive, it's less than the cost of sending them to the academy.

If I understood the discussion correctly, they lose their seniority and their pension if they change jobs, so why not make the move more attractive?

Alderman Ramos voted not sure, Alderman Brocato voted no.  When they returned to Ramos, Brocato stated that it was common practice in business and almost single handedly convinced Alderman Ramos to vote yes.  Pick a lane Alderman.

One member of the peanut gallery mentioned that he'd be pissed if he was number one on the list and got passed up by a lateral entry, especially since there is a time limit for being on the list.  I understand that, but in the case we have right now with an officer retiring on July 28th and using the remainder of his vacation until then, we need a body on the street sooner than later.

Having never been through the process, maybe I can't speak to it.  But I've been passed over for jobs in the private sector because I didn't have the experience they wanted at the time.  I just hope that this isn't used to keep someone who's last name they don't like off the force, but I think with as many people watching what's going on these days, that wouldn't happen. 

Plus looking again at the line item, it says "Number of Lateral Entry police officers"...  in other words, a limited amount of them would be hired, probably on an as needed basis.

Kronos contract – The mayor is proposing that the city lease time clocks that will be connected to the payroll system for $3,200.  The total cost over three years will be $170,000 including the equipment and lease. 

Alderman Chapman asked what the return on investment would be, pointing out that this would pay for 1.5 police officers.  Apparently the workers need to be held accountable, and automating the system will save money.

Alderman Brocato said it was silly as he hasn't had to punch a clock since 1964.  The Mayor claimed that he wasn't trying to persecute anyone.  Interesting choice of words.

Alderman Lovero pointed out that this has been tried in the past and didn't work.  The Mayor stated that while he didn't want to say anything about the past administration, this new administration is no comparison to the old one.

My question...  Why the contradiction?  If the new administration is so good, if the people working for his hand picked department heads are so reliable why does he need to have them punch in and out? 

If you want to make people accountable, make them salary.  They'll either figure out how to get their jobs done during normal working hours, will have to stay late occasionally, or they won't get their job done and will have to be held accountable.

Pay people the same amount every pay check.  That reduces the need for a payroll clerk to sit down each week and figure out check amounts.

That's how you'll save money.

Utility Tax rebates to other taxing bodies – They are going to set policy to rebate utility taxes paid to the city.  Instead of rebating them, how about you don't charge them in the first place.  Seems like a lot less work.  I believe this is why Alderman Weiner reluctantly voted yes to proceed forward.

Alderman committee assignments – Because Alderman Phelan has to excuse himself from votes on park district items, it was proposed, I believe by The Mayor, that he move to a different committee.  Alderman Chapman pointed out that state law has changed that allows him to vote from multiple positions except on contracts that he signs.  Alderman Phelan doesn't want to change, and that was that.

Goal setting and Team Building retreat – There have been a few suggestions for a retreat including a class for individuals from The Clerk which The Mayor has signed up for.  That's not a bad idea, but really, a retreat?

How bout sitting in a room and hashing out some goals and priorities?   

Ground Breaking ceremony for Century Station 6/20 5:30 pm – Unfortunately, I don't think this will be a spectacle involving dynamite.

Joint Committee of the Whole meeting with Oak Park to discuss plans
on Roosevelt Rd. development June 15th
– Gee, what an idea.  Better late than never I guess.

The meeting went into closed and I went to OoT for some field research.

OakParkSpartan

I'm not 100% clear on "The List" with police officers.  The city has determined they want to get officers on the street ASAP.  If the choice is waiting 4 months or 1 month to fill vacancy's, what is in the best interest of the city?  Sorry, just because you apply for a job, doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a job.  Welcome to the real world folks.

Kronos contract...that is $3200/month.  I'm unclear after hearing about it several times just what we will be leasing?  Typically, a lease means you don't buy equipment.  At the end of the term you turn it back over to the lessor, just like a leased car.  Payments are $40,400 per year times three is $121,200 for the length of the contract.  How do we get to the $170,000 number from there? If we are buying equipment for 49k, what are we leasing?  Confusing...

Goal setting and Team building.  They need an outside moderator to make folks play nice.  Preferably someone who will slap them around if they start behaving like 3 year olds.  Sitting in a room together by themselves isn't going to work.  Things have gotten too personal.

Wonder if Joel will chair that joint meeting with Oak Park, as he seems to be our Minister of Stupidity and Subversion.

Also mentioned by alderman Phelen was 7-11 at 16th and East has been held up 3 times in the last month.  This was mentioned in passing regarding the Compliance Fee/Fire Inspections. 

I disagree with you scoon that fining the landlord won't help.  If someone gets rung up for a few hundred dollars a month, that starts eating into the profit, and you might decide to rent to someone who doesn't cost you money.  Basically, the fines will need to be such that Market Rent > (Section 8 Rent - Fines).  At that point you have eliminated the economic incentive to rent to bad section 8 tenants.  Law abiding ones are fine.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 08, 2006, 10:44:14 AM
Wonder if Joel will chair that joint meeting with Oak Park, as he seems to be our Minister of Stupidity and Subversion.

Joel will not be in attendance according to The Mayor.

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 08, 2006, 10:44:14 AM
I disagree with you scoon that fining the landlord won't help.  If someone gets rung up for a few hundred dollars a month, that starts eating into the profit, and you might decide to rent to someone who doesn't cost you money.  Basically, the fines will need to be such that Market Rent > (Section 8 Rent - Fines).  At that point you have eliminated the economic incentive to rent to bad section 8 tenants.  Law abiding ones are fine.

I'm not saying it won't help.  I'm saying that it won't be the magic wand or silver bullet I think they hope it will be.  Plus look at it this way.  You kick a tenant out, in addition to losing the rent for one month, you'll have to spend money to fix up the place.  I'm guessing slum lords will pay the fines before going thru the hassle of kicking someone out.  Responsible owners would do as you suggest.

CozyNite

Actually, this whole "Fining the Landlords" thing is kind of funny because someone told me that our mayor isn't such a good landlord himself.  So will he fine himself?

OakParkSpartan

I'd expect if the landlord is renting to problem tenants, who are disrupting the neighborhood and creating a nuisance of themselves, the landlord would get a fine.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

As mentioned in a previous post, landlords in Oak Park can only rent 25% of their building to Section 8 tenants.  That in itself limits owners from purchasing a building solely to reap the benefits of the monthly government check.

Terri

OakParkSpartan

Oak Park has a housing authority which enables them to regulate Section 8 vouchers.  Currently their list is closed and not expected to open for several years.  They reportedly refer people to Berwyn, which has no control over Section 8.

I hope the administration works hard at implementing an authority. 

Brian

Terri

Did Alderman Lovero say why the timeclocks did not work in the past?  Are all/any of the city employees union?  If an employees hours are for instance, 7a.m. to 3p.m. and they punch out at 2:59p.m., they are usually docked 1/4 of an hour.  Seems fair to me.

There are usually twp types of salaried employees, exempt (no O.T.) and non-exempt (paid O.T.).  If all were salaried, that would need to be addressed. 

I think the leasing agreement was not explained completely to whoever.  If the numbers are correct, it would be more cost-effective to hire a payroll processing firm such as an ADP. 

Terri

scoon

Alderman Lovero did not say why it did not work in the past, my guess is because office environments don't usually have a time clock.  Personally,  I don't see why you'd need a time clock in an office situation.  I've used software packages that track vacation, sick time, personal days, et al...  but never a time clock to track when I come in and when I leave.

The city of Berwyn will have a time clock at each entrance for the employees to swipe in and out.  Start of the day.  End of the day.  Lunches.  And one curious example, when they leave city hall and then get to the police station.  So either that means employees won't get paid for travel time, or they can't be trusted to get to the police station in a reasonable amount of time.  --  To me, it's the latter...  this is a means of tracking people.

But The Mayor made ( in yet another bush league political move) a big point about the new administration being so much better than the old...

Again I ask, why the contradiction?  Much like A Few Good Men.  If Col. Jessup gave an order to Lt. Kendrick that Santiago wasn't to be touched, why did he need to be transferred off the base? 

shrugger

Quote from: scoon on June 08, 2006, 04:44:36 PM
But The Mayor made ( in yet another bush league political move) a big point about the new administration being so much better than the old...

Again I ask, why the contradiction?  Much like A Few Good Men.  If Col. Jessup gave an order to Lt. Kendrick that Santiago wasn't to be touched, why did he need to be transferred off the base? 

just because the administration is new, that doesn't mean all of the city employees (many of them unionized) have changed, right? or has there actually been a lot of turnover? maybe the Mayor is finding a documentable way to "hold accountable" some of those unionized holdovers.

I don't know about the Kronos system, but I don't necessarily think there's a contradiction there.
we must cultivate our garden

OakParkSpartan

At the budget meeting tonight, the Kronos system was very briefly discussed.  The Finance and HR directors will be making a presentation to council to explain how things will work.

Cheers,
Brian

Ted

Quote from: scoon on June 08, 2006, 10:09:11 AM
Kronos contract – The mayor is proposing that the city lease time clocks that will be connected to the payroll system for $3,200.  The total cost over three years will be $170,000 including the equipment and lease. 

Alderman Chapman asked what the return on investment would be, pointing out that this would pay for 1.5 police officers. 

Does that mean we are paying on average $120,000 for every police officer?  That must include benefits, but even then that seems sort of high.

Ted

scoon

Quote from: Ted Korbos on June 08, 2006, 10:08:55 PM
Quote from: scoon on June 08, 2006, 10:09:11 AM

Alderman Chapman asked what the return on investment would be, pointing out that this would pay for 1.5 police officers. 

Does that mean we are paying on average $120,000 for every police officer?  That must include benefits, but even then that seems sort of high.

Ted

I'm not sure about Alderman Chapman's math, and I'm an English major, but my calculations come to over $36K per year.

OakParkSpartan

I asked about the math...that's how the "come to see the presenation" came about.  Be at the next council meeting.  Next Tuesday.

Cheers,
Brian