June 13, 2006 - Council (and COW) Meeting

Started by scoon, June 13, 2006, 08:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jqpublic

You would thing that a rational group of adult alderpeople could get a resident only proposal up for a vote within a month. Fat chance of that ever happening, eh?
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: jqpublic on June 18, 2006, 09:51:04 AM
You would thing that a rational group of adult alderpeople could get a resident only proposal up for a vote within a month. Fat chance of that ever happening, eh?

You went wrong on the 6th word...

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Matryoshka

Those are exactly the 2 reasons why we must have a parking plan.  Oak Park and Cicero both have resident only restrictions so they simply cross over Lombard or Roosevelt and park in Berwyn. 
[/quote]

Cicero cars are ticketed when parked on Berwyn residential streets, overnight - such as Lombard Ave.

Bru67

Quote from: mmorrison on June 16, 2006, 11:34:58 PM
Having lived in Oak Park, I can say that their parking system only works because they've got a bunch of lots scattered around for parking purposes.  Berwyn doesn't.  We live in an apartment with one space per car in back of the building.  We have two cars.  One has to be parked on the street.  I really don't see how an outright overnight parking ban would work here in Berwyn without more parking lots available.

That is true but we could creatively get past this issue.  I would make it so a resident could park on the streets near his or her house overnight as they pleased -- if they pay for a parking sticker.  What I would do is break the City up into zones and you would have to buy a sticker (not a city sticker but a separate sticker for parking in your zone) to park overnight.  I would make it progressively more expensive.  1 sticker $30/month, the 2nd sticker $50, the 3rd sticker $75, and so on.  That would create a financial incentive for people to use their garages. 

I also would bet that you would start to see a LOT of garages suddenly become available for rental, since this system would create a demand for garage parking.  You simply do not see a lot of garages packed full of crap in Oak Park because the spaces are valuable and people will pay $100/month to someone for a space in a garage.  The result would be fewer cars on the street.  A good thing.   

jqpublic

Quote from: 'Rita on June 18, 2006, 11:37:00 AM
Cicero cars are ticketed when parked on Berwyn residential streets, overnight - such as Lombard Ave.

For what reason?
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Matryoshka

I think it's res parking over there, from about 3:00AM - 6:00AM...but I think Berwyn cuts 'em a break on st cleaning days, as do they w/ Berwyn cars -