News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Need tile roof referral

Started by cloud23, May 31, 2005, 02:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloud23

I need to get some repairs done to my bungalow's tile roof, does anybody have any referrals.

I have been trying to set up an appt with Tuscher Roofing co. located in oak park with no success. The only reason I was trying them first was prev. owners had worked done by them. However after a few unsuccessful attempts of sched. an appt I am very weary of them. Has anyone had any experience working with them?

dukesdad

I have used 2 different contractors. The first couple of times, I used Renaissance Roofing out of Belvidere 800-699-5695. They were very good. Last year I used Connoisseur Roofing from Elgin,(I don't have the number) they were also very good and less expensive than Renaissance. Good tile guys are not easy to find.

hvychev

This is a GREAT topic!

I was JUST talking about those roofs with some fello Bungalow enthusiasts. Could someone tell me, are those supposed to last "forever"? I mean they have been on the houses for 80 years and they still look great. What type of maintience do they need? How expensive would it be today to have a roof like that added to a Bungalow?

dukesdad

The tile lasts "forever". However, the paper underneath eventually fails. At some point you have to take the tile off and replace the paper underneath and redo the flashing around chimneys and vents. Last year I had the tile removed around my chimney and new copper flashing installed. That is usually the first area that fails. My neighbor had his whole roof redone last year. They took all the tile off, put on new flashing and waterproof membrane, then relaid the tile. He also had copper gutters put on. Whole project was $37,500. I imagine to add a tile roof to an existing bungalow might be twice that.
I also have the roof inspected every year and have cracked tiles replaced. Seems to me to make sense to keep the thing maintained.

hvychev

QuoteWhole project was $37,500.
:o :o WOW!

I had guessed that if someone wanted a tile roof added to a Bungalow that it would be $50,000. It looks as I were not that far off.

I wonder what the roof option cost when the house was new?

cloud23

Dukesdad,

Thanks for the referral. I called Connoisseur and left a message to setup an estimate. I have a question since you seem very knowledgeable about tile roofs. The roof the need repairs is my garage, I have found 2 pieces of broken tile around garage on different occasions. I have reciepts of all roof repairs done by previous owner on house but the garage seemed to not of gotten anywork done. My questions, is the chimeny on my garage is very deteriorated, parts of the concrete? around has broken off. Would the tile roofers be able to fix this. If not who would I contract to do the work since I know tiles are very delicate and can be broken easily by people who are not accostumed to working on them. Thanks for any information.
By the way I know you said you have an annual inspection done on your roof, on average how often do you have to get any repairs done, yearly?

Cloud23

ruffian

Riteway could do the chimney 354-2501 - Rick

dukesdad

I'd have a concrete or brick guy fix the chimney. When I first got the house 6 years ago, there was a big tree right next to the house. Every time someone farted a branch would break off and fall on the roof, hence lots of broken tile. I had the tree removed, the tiles replaced and life has been good. I guess the answer to how often you need work done is "it depends". Weather has a lot to do with it and if the roof has not been maintained, you might have to have a lot of small repairs done the first couple of years, then it slacks off. Make sure they replace any of the lead "soakers" that have fallen off. They are the lead pieces that bridge the gap where the roof makes a transition from one plane to another. Since tile does not bend, they use lead to cover those gaps. 

Bru67

Quote from: dukesdad on May 31, 2005, 04:23:36 PM
The tile lasts "forever". However, the paper underneath eventually fails. At some point you have to take the tile off and replace the paper underneath and redo the flashing around chimneys and vents. Last year I had the tile removed around my chimney and new copper flashing installed. That is usually the first area that fails. My neighbor had his whole roof redone last year. They took all the tile off, put on new flashing and waterproof membrane, then relaid the tile. He also had copper gutters put on. Whole project was $37,500. I imagine to add a tile roof to an existing bungalow might be twice that.
I also have the roof inspected every year and have cracked tiles replaced. Seems to me to make sense to keep the thing maintained.

Yea, we thought about going the tile roof route with our bungalow because I think it had it originally.  But the cost to do it was over $50k!  That made no economic sense at all on a house I only paid $225k for, ya know?  Beautiful yes but the good asphalt shingle roof we put on looks very nice and only cost about $5k. Now I've heard there is a cheaper route in cement tiles and fiberglass but didn't delve into that.  My thought was it would still be very expensive so I didn't waste my time researching it.  Has anyone checked on this?

Suedehead

Check this link out, i don't know how much cheaper it is then clay or cement tile or if anyone in Chicago does it. Has anyone else seen these metal "tile" roofs?

http://www.met-tile.com/