June 27, 2006 - City Council

Started by scoon, June 28, 2006, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

I had a Berwyn Police Department Citizen Police Academy Alumni meeting this evening, so I arrived late.  We had a State's Attorney from the Juvenile Division give us a presentation last nite and his presentation ran long due to stupid questions.  In fact, I was done dealing with dealing with stupidity before I even got to the council meeting.

(Not that the CPA is full of stupidity, but a select few can ask the dumbest questions, rudely interrupting the presenter, and preventing the rest of us from getting the information.  There's always chaff with the wheat.  I go to hear the experts speak, not them.)

So I'll pick up with what I gathered after I got there, as I'm trying to be a good reporter for ya'll...  still for free I'd like to point out.

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS

3. 2006 MFT MAINT-SEWER CLEANING & TELEVISING  -  Wait, we can't televise council meetings but we can televise the cleaning of sewers?  I wonder if we'll find any illegal apartments down there.

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR

3. VETO- ORD. 06-26-1523 CLARENCE – This is the 25 foot lot that was going to open the gates to the netherworld and allow Gozer and his army of ghouls, demons, and those bad ass dog things to wreak havoc on our fine city.

4. MACNEAL PROPOSAL – This was deferred for two weeks so that things could be investigated.  I guess The Mayor wanted to push it right thru, but some of the Aldermen want assurance that MacNeal will do what they promise to do.

5. ORD-DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS – This was denied.  Apparently The Mayor wanted members of this board to be appointed by him at the council's approval.  Here we go again...  Rumor on the street is that is was yet another power grab.

6. APPTS- MEMBERS TODOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS - Margaret Kelly and Michael Kant (sic) were The Mayor's hand picked appointments...  Even though they weren't the clerk's appointees approved by the council two weeks ago.  Apparently the two appointees from the clerk were not popular with The Mayor and he went another direction.  Since F5 was denied, he didn't have the power to install them and the motion was denied.

But during the discussion, Alderman Phelan pointed out that the communication didn't make any sense since the term "Commenced on (X date) and began on (X date)..."  probably meaning commenced and ended...  Phelan asked if The Mayor wrote the communication himself.  I'd like to remind the Alderman that the snarky comments are best left to me.

Alderman Lovero questioned why The Mayor chose to go another direction and that he explain it.  The Mayor declined stating that he asked the clerk for information but did not receive it.  The clerk explained that he did give it to The Mayor despite his vague request and questioned why the appointments were made without his input. 

The clerk is currently in charge of Dollars for Scholars.  Who needs his input?

7. APPTS-MEMBERS TO ADVISORY BD.  This was approved with no discussion.

8. AMEND ORD 242.11-RETIREMENT AGE - POLICE & FIREMEN - This was approved.  The retirement age was raised to 65. 

9. REQ. PROPOSAL-CITY PHONE SYSTEM - This was referred to COW.

10. SETTLEMENT CASE #98 CH 5500  - Cha-Ching!

11. ADVERTISE FOR NEW COMPLIANCE INSPECTOR – This was approved.  We'll be waiving the hiring freeze to hire someone to seek and destroy illegal apartments for $15 to $20 an hour.

12. FINANCE DEPT. ADM. ASSISTANT  - In accordance to the Financial Director's wishes, the job description of the Admin Assistant will include accountant duties, the pay will be adjusted, and the accountant position eliminated.  I heard it will be 30K a year.  It'll be a savings of $17K per year.  I'm not sure about you, but I don't know how that math works out, but a good accountant isn't working for it.

It was approved, but Aldermen Lovero and Erickson voted nay since it wasn't clear that the current AA could do the accounting.  The Mayor pointed out that a previous communication stated that she's been doing it for a month and a half....  Month and a half?  That's not exactly a trial period but.....  what the heck, it's only money.

13. REQ FOR BIDS FOR DEPT. RELOCATION PROJECT  - Apparently they want to do some moving and remodeling at City Hall.  Building Dept on the first floor, Finance moving down...  or something like that.

14. KRONOS TIMEKEEPING SYSTEM  - Alderman Chapman, Phelan, Lovero, and Erickson voted nay.  Chapman and Lovero had issues with the contract, not really sure what Phelan and Erickson were against.  (Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're just voting nay to be difficult...) 

The Mayor had the tie breaker and gave a little speech before doing so.  He said that they vowed to watch tax payers' dollars and hold employees accountable.  (Which I believe a few weeks ago he said wasn't the point of this.)  Plus the auditors said that benefits weren't being tracked correctly.  The Mayor said that he would gladly punch in and out and suggested the alderman do the same to show their constituents how much work they were doing.

Alderman Lovero asked for a key to City Hall so he could swipe his card whenever he was working...

15. MRA CONTRACT – This was approved with one full time and two part time positions opened up with the hiring freeze waived.  That's three (counting two part time as one) new city jobs for scoon.  Alderman Phelan voted nay because apparently he wants to see me homeless.

16. BIDS FOR MUNICIPAL WASTE  - The bid was approved.  The ad will go out July 7th, it's due August 7th, and will be approved August 22nd...  Yeah right.  Who wants to bet the over/under on the September 12th meeting?

17. JT. MTG.-COW & VILLAGE OF OAK PARK  - The Mayor says it was historic and productive and they'll meet again in September with updates.  That will give Alderman Erickson a little over two months to send another embarrassing letter to an Oak Park elected official. 

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK

1. ORD 1274.13-NEW POOL INSTALLATION REQUIRING FENCE  - This was referred to Ordinance and Resolutions, because a definition of pool is needed.  You'd might think the definition was straight forward, but think about your neighbors and where you're living.

2. ORD. 1244.06-INCREASE ZONING FEES - This was referred to Ordinance and Resolutions

3. ORD 1258.12-VERBIAGE ON AWNINGS – This was approved as it was submitted.  Now people passing by on the train might actually know that there are businesses underneath those awnings.

4. ORD 1244.01-AMEND ZBA COMPENSATION – I think the zoning board just got a raise.  If one of them buys you a drink next time you see one, then you'll know.

5. ITEM J-15 OGDEN AVE. PAVERS -6/13/06 COUNCIL  - New pavers for Ogden Ave...  I'll take any extras for a small patio for my grill....  Just throwing it out there.

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS

1. REHEARING REQUEST.- VANGUARD HEALTH SYSTEMS-3301-27 EUCLID  - This was skipped so I think it might have been moved up with the other MacNeal vote?  Can anyone confirm?

2. RESOL-GROZDIC-1517 GROVE  - The owner bought the home as a three flat two years ago.  The city now says it's a two flat and the Zoning Board agrees.  The council approved the override since it was the city's error two years ago and the current owner shouldn't be penalized for the city's mistake.  Personally I agree.  It's unfortunate, but I agree. 

During the discussion Mr. Grozdic wanted to make a statement but was advised by The Mayor not to speak since the motion was going in his favor at the moment.  Alderman Lovero, who represented Mr. Grozdic in the sale and was excused from the vote, concurred and no statement was made. Alderman Phelan got a bit heated since he's facing a similar situation and Alderman Erickson, always one to make friends, stated that the Building Department records are deplorable.

So is replying to all when sending a letter to the Oak Park President.

A big thumbs up to everyone for not referring to "previous administration".  I'm surprised this golden opportunity was passed up.

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS
AND COMMISSIONS

Alderman Chapman asked for the rules to be suspended and made a motion to refer the audit to budget.  It was approved.

2. WEINER-TREE REMOVAL-6947 W. 31ST ST. – The motion was made to send this to the tree board.  It was approved, but Alderman Phelan asked about a sister tree and Alderman Erickson asked why Alderman Weiner was wasting the council's time.  Alderman Weiner said he was just following the procedure that Alderman Erickson laid out.  Unfortunately according to Erickson snide comment, Weiner wasn't even close, and thus clinching the D-Face Award again this week.

3. BUDGET COMM-PAYROLL-6/27/06-$932,808.47  - This was approved but Alderman Phelan did vote nay and said "You know why."  I heard more than a few people say "We do?"  It was later stated that there are 6 persons on the payroll that he does not agree with. 

I guess just to switch things up, Alderman Erickson voted in favor of it even though he doesn't agree with it.  I guess that's an aye with an asterisk.

4. BUDGET COMM-PAYABLES-6/27/06-$744,899.92  - Alderman Phelan made a motion to vote on check 327291 to 24/7 plumbing separately.  Alderman Chapman made such a motion.  Then all hell broke loose.  Dan LeBeau was called forward to explain what was done, but that wasn't the issue.  Alderman Phelan trusts that the work was done, and that the payment should be made...  he simply has an issue with the plumbing company being owned by The Mayor's secretary and her husband. 

Was nothing learned from the fall out from sending resumes to the IVB office?  Bad, bad politics.

Anyway, The Mayor wanted to know why no one had contacted him about this.  Alderman Phelan asked why The Mayor didn't have the professional courtesy to contact him about the 1523 Clarence veto.  The Mayor said that Alderman Phelan was out of order, which perhaps he was, if for no other reason than for taking the bait.

Anyway, it got to be a circus.  Alderman Chapman tried to retract her original motion and refer it to COW instead.  This went ignored for a while, but finally it was approved.  The secretary's husband didn't like this and started to speak out from the audience about work he's done for the city for free.

Again I say, bad politics.  Why risk even the appearance of impropriety?  I wonder how The Independent would have handled this...

Finally the balance of the payables was approved...

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. DEFER-H.R.-PUBLIC WKS. SECRETARY SALARY – A raise for the secretary was deferred and a referred (pronounced reefer-ed) to COW.

2. DEFER-REQ BPD-HANDICAPPED SIGN-F. CORONADO-1444 EAST AVE. – Alderman Erickson made a motion to accept the police department's recommendation to (pregnant pause) deny the application which was accepted.  I guess he was trying to build up suspense.  Bravisimo Alderman!

5. BLDG DIR-DEMOLITION REQUEST – This was sent to COW, but Alderman Phelan (who was clearly on fire last nite) didn't understand why we wouldn't want to allow a developer put in a new Washington Mutual instead of dragging it out as always. 

Alderman Chapman wanted to know more about it and how it fit into the 22nd street overlay, which according to mutterings from the city collector, her investigations show that it doesn't.  Not sure why the city collector is investigating this... but I don't know what her entire job description is.

6. BLDG DIR-TIME LIMIT FOR ZONING VARIATIONS – The council concurred with the Building Director's recommendation to extend zoning variation from six months to a year.  Alderman Ramos and Brocato didn't see why it had to be extended claiming that six months is more than enough time.  I guess, but why not extend it?  What's the harm?

**  I want to point out that the new life reporter left at this point (9:40pm), so anything after this is scoon exclusive...  granted there really wasn't much left.  She probably had the right idea actually.

7. COMMUNITY DEV-7TH YEAR CDBG ACTION PLAN  - A motion was made to make this available for citizen review.  I believe it will be at city hall and the library for those of you really into CDBG action plans.  (Read: sickos)

8. BPD-REQ HANDICAPPED SIGN-E. SLAVICEK-3734 LOMBARD - Deferred for two weeks so the pronunciation of the last name can be confirmed.

9. BPD-REQ HANDICAPPED SIGN - E. KRSEK-1327 HARVEY – Denied for having three consonants in a row in the last name.

10. BPD-REQ HANDICAPPED SIGN- F. ALVAREZ-2509 ELMWOOD  - Deferred because it was not given to correct aldermen.

11. BPD-REQ HANDICAPPED SIGN-M. KELLY-1932 WISCONSIN  - Denied because they're Irish. --  Irish out of Berwyn!

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND
WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO
REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND CONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER
APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA

The items below were approved.  Set your calendars accordingly. 

1. MORTON H.S.-HOMECOMING PARADE-10/7/06
2. CICERO CHAMBERS-INTERNATIONAL HOUBY FEST. AND PARADE-9/29 & 10/1/06 
3. NBPD-30TH YR.ANNIVERSAY CELEBRATION-7/1/06 
4. ACE HARDWARE-25TH ANNUAL SIDEWALK SALE-8/26/06
5. BLOCK PARTY-6400 & 6500 27TH ST.-8/19/06
6. BLOCK PARTY-6400 33RD ST. –7/15/06
7. BLOCK PARTY-3400 HOME-7/22/06

And that's the bitter end.

Ted

Clark

You missed the beginning of the meeting, which is when the fireworks started.  First, there was the presentation of a new fireman, a commendation to a fireman who saved someone's life while he was off duty and the retirement of an 87 year old woman who has worked in Berwyn City Hall since 1959 (under 9 mayors).  Also, the man who owns Garv's gave the city a check for $2,000.

Then the mayor vetoed the 25 foot lot proposal.  Alderman Phelan read a statement on the veto in which he lashed out at the mayor and called him, among other things,  a "control freak".  Things went down hill from there. 

I was surprised the Mayor kept his cool after Phelan read his statement.  It's one thing to disagree with people on the pro's and con's of 25 foot lots.  I just don't understand why it has to get personal or why people have to make personal attacks on each other.

The other interesting comment came on a vote (I forget which one) where one alderman said "This is much ado about nothing" and Alderman Erickson replied "No, this is much ado about everything".

- Jimmy Olson  (police academy, my eye. I bet you were with superman somewhere)

BTW, doesn't the new reporter for the Life look like Johnna Kelly?  At first, I thought the Life had hired Johnna back.  Robert Carr must have cloned Johnna before she left.

CozyNite

You know, soneone should give Scoon a job just for writing this stuff!  And good riddance to the Irish in Berwyn!  Long live the degos!   :coreyhart:

OakParkSpartan

And what's your beef with the Irish???
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Shelley

Does anyone know who the other two appointments for Dollars for Scholars were - the ones council approved two weeks ago?? 

Ted

Quote from: Shelley on June 28, 2006, 09:03:35 PM
Does anyone know who the other two appointments for Dollars for Scholars were - the ones council approved two weeks ago?? 

Shelley,

I think it was Aimee Sordelli and Jim Swiocinis.  Not sure, though.  A lot of names were thrown out and it was not clear to me whether Aimee and Jim were existing board members or the ones that Tom Pavlik wanted to appoint and for which the Mayor submitted two other people's name (one was Maragaret Kelly, not sure who the other person was).

Ted

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 28, 2006, 08:54:21 PM
And what's your beef with the Irish???

It was an obscure reference to one of the funnier posts I've read on this board.

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1495.msg22276#msg22276

This kraut has no beef with the Irish, unless it comes with cabbage.   :P

scoon

Quote from: Ted Korbos on June 28, 2006, 09:08:07 PM
Quote from: Shelley on June 28, 2006, 09:03:35 PM

Shelley,

I think it was Aimee Sordelli and Jim Swiocinis.  Not sure, though.  A lot of names were thrown out and it was not clear to me whether Aimee and Jim were existing board members or the ones that Tom Pavlik wanted to appoint and for which the Mayor submitted two other people's name (one was Maragaret Kelly, not sure who the other person was).

Ted

I believe that one of the clerk's nominees was District 98 School Board President Tony Laureto.  I can't remember who the other was.  The Mayor's appointees are in my re-cap (if you were an asshat I'd tell you that reading is a skill  ;)), one was Margaret Kelly and the other was Michael Kant (spelled phonetically).  To my knowledge Aimee and Jim are current members.

pkd50

Irish out of Berwyn?    Not this Irish woman.   I know it was a joke, and I'm certainly not offended.   However, it is to be noted that if it were said about another race this board would be shut down.  It's always PC to poke fun at the Irish.  We just laugh along with you.  Why?   Because WE MADE IT, and we know we are BETTER than most!  Now don't you dare be offended with my joke, because I laughed at yours!   

scoon

Quote from: pkd50 on June 29, 2006, 08:10:45 AM
Irish out of Berwyn?    Not this Irish woman.   I know it was a joke, and I'm certainly not offended.   However, it is to be noted that if it were said about another race this board would be shut down.  It's always PC to poke fun at the Irish.  We just laugh along with you.  Why?   Because WE MADE IT, and we know we are BETTER than most!  Now don't you dare be offended with my joke, because I laughed at yours!   

Very true, very true.  Glad some people understand my sense of humor.  (read: bad)

BountyHunter

Nothing more sexy than an Irish gal with her temper up.  Yes sireeeee.

pkd50

We never say temper.    It's getting your Irish up and it's anything but sexy.  It can be downright scary.   We are a race of barbarians that drink all day and fight all night.  Ask Scoon if you don't believe me.

scoon

Quote from: pkd50 on June 30, 2006, 06:19:41 AM
We never say temper.    It's getting your Irish up and it's anything but sexy.  It can be downright scary.   We are a race of barbarians that drink all day and fight all night.  Ask Scoon if you don't believe me.

It's true, she beat the hell out of me one nite cause I didn't get her a beer fast enough...

OakParkSpartan

Who is "she"?  I thought Mrs. Scoon only drank those Apple Martini's???
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

BountyHunter

"she beat the hell out of me on nite"

hmmmm ON nite ... looks like we have another error.  See, it doesn't matter if I make errors.  I'm not Mr. Perfect.

Tell ya what.  Let's both stop proofreading each other.  Do you also correct people in person?  Like when they mispronounce a word or sumthin?

Sexy ANGRY Irish chicks.  I find angry women amusing.  HENCE, I show the many scars from objects being thrown at me.

OakParkSpartan

You're becoming tiring following scoon around.

You two should knock it off.  Or get a room. 

Brian

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 30, 2006, 09:52:13 AM
You're becoming tiring following scoon around.

You two should knock it off.  Or get a room. 

Brian

People with no merit have to tear down those that do.

The level of asshat on this board has really gone down hill.  I miss Berwynite, Ruffian, BerwynTruth...  at least you knew where they stood.  They didn't point out typos.  (Which really is that my error was, a typo... not making up words or making blatant, ignorant grammatical errors.)  They had an opinion and defended it to the end no matter how unpopular it was.  Unlike these current asshats who do nothing but poke holes while never taking a stand for anything. 

Before God and everyone on this board, I promise to take Brian's advice and no longer respond to the negative venom and sheer ignorance spewed by BountyHunter.  I won't let him drag me down any longer.  I'm better than that and I apologize for feeding the troll.

But what really pisses me off is my thread has come to this.  It makes me wonder why I bother spending my time writing these recaps...

OakParkSpartan

Because a lot of folks appreciate it :-)

Same reason I leave this board up.

Cheers,
Brian

T-Stan RPCV

SCOON - There is nothing wrong with throwing a bone to a troll every now and then.  It adds to the entertainment value of this board (more fun for me).

I'm not sure that BH is a troll but I too long for the days of the pitbull bite and don't let go approach of some of the past contrarians (Tisbuy).