News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

June 27, 2006 - City Council

Started by scoon, June 28, 2006, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Clique?....Surely you jest, we have attained cult status

Tina...Tina...Tina...
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Juliet

If we are to define this group as a "clique", I hope the emphasis is on the common purpose, and the exclusivity limited to those who care about making a change.  If you can meet that criteria, I think it would be an honor to be in this "clique".
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Shelley

I think the best thing about this board is the increased use of the word asshat since it was first introduced.  Who originated this term?? 

Bountyhunter, welcome.

time after time

That credit goes to markberwyn.

It seems he is one of the select few who have achieved "credibility" status without having to reveal his real name or meeting in person for drinks at OoT or Garv's.

Cindy

BountyHunter

I'm not a big fan of groups.  I find with groups you have to work within the collective body and progress is usually slow at best.  If a person is a can do kinda guy or girl (don't want to leave the gals out cause there are plenty out there that qualify as a one man army), results whether for the good or bad come fast.  I'm best when turned loose like a dog of war.  As with the bad, much can be accomplished for the good behind the scenes - undetected.

The CARES group.  My prediction.  This group will come under more and more fire as push comes to shove.  Tactic?  Same used here at this chat room.  Discrediting.  As the powers that be struggle to hold onto the reins of power, they have only one choice and that is to send a message that the group is a fountain of misinformation.  The group will then have to turn efforts to counter.  It's already begun.  Wasn't the last Life newspaper running some front page article that CARES is under criticism?

That's Berwyn folks.

markberwyn

Quote from: BountyHunter on July 02, 2006, 11:01:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of groups.  I find with groups you have to work within the collective body and progress is usually slow at best.  If a person is a can do kinda guy or girl (don't want to leave the gals out cause there are plenty out there that qualify as a one man army), results whether for the good or bad come fast.  I'm best when turned loose like a dog of war.  As with the bad, much can be accomplished for the good behind the scenes - undetected.

Except lone wolves in Berwyn don't seem to wind up doing a whole heck of a lot. I don't think the best-known one-man-armies in this town--Joel Erickson and Anthony Castrogiovanni--could list three accomplishments between the two of them. To the extent we hear from them at all, I mainly hear a lot of chest-beating about how they're lone wolves. Practically by definition, group discussion means that things go more slowly. But it also tends to mean that things get done. "I'm right--you all are wrong" is a sure-fire way to alienate people and ensure that nothing changes.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

I might also add that whenever Mayor O'Connor plays the lone wolf he catches hell for it too--often from his own supporters. (Note the finance director resume incident.)
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

The CARES group.  My prediction.  This group will come under more and more fire as push comes to shove.  Tactic?  Same used here at this chat room.  Discrediting.  As the powers that be struggle to hold onto the reins of power, they have only one choice and that is to send a message that the group is a fountain of misinformation.  The group will then have to turn efforts to counter.  It's already begun.  Wasn't the last Life newspaper running some front page article that CARES is under criticism?

What CARES will do is counter with facts.  For example, it was stated that a combined district will lead to a bloated bueaucracy.  I believe just the opposite is true.  Today, we have a city with two grade school superintendents, two business managers, two director of curriculum, two of everything.!!!.. that is what is a bloated bureacracy is.  Combining District 98 and District 100 will lead to cutting down the grade school bureacracies, not adding to it.  We believe the cost savings on combining central functions (and having only one superintendent, etc.) will be at least $1 million dollars per year.

In addition, if I take that argument to the extreme, I would assume that the best approach is to have one school district per school.  Yet I doubt the current school board presidents would want one school district per schoool, would they?  That would really add to the central cost duplication.  Just look at what is going on in Skokie, that has 5 grade school districts.

So, the question becomes what is the happy medium?  At what point are you willing to pay the duplicated costs of administration for more local control?  That is the real question.

I think the happy medium between local control and duplicated central costs is at least at the boundary of a city.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

It's a shame that what appears to be a great idea on the surface for all of Berwyn, has become divisive.  Granted both opinions are coming up with different ways to interrupt the numbers, but the correct answer Will be resolved with mutual studies of the facts.
Some thing as important as this issue should be debated to come up with the correct resolution without animosity. The only winners should be the children of Berwyn.  How do we obtain that status as a group who cares about the future of Berwyn?

BountyHunter

"Joel Erickson and Anthony Castrogiovanni" <-- hardly would call either one of them a one man army.  Mavericks - yes.  One man army - no.

markberwyn

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on July 03, 2006, 06:45:03 AM
Quote from: BountyHunter on July 02, 2006, 10:28:28 PM
Mavericks - yes.  One man army - no.

What's the difference?

Castrogiovanni does have a small devoted group of Republicans who are loyal to him because of his conservative views.  While that may not constitute an "army", I don't think you can say he is a one-man army.  He does have his followers.

And, I don't think the term "maverick" fits Castrogiovanni either.  In fact, I think the opposite is true.  I think he often takes positions because his "army" believes in those positions more than he may really believe in them.

Erickson, on the other hand, is a maverick and I thnk he enjoys being a maverick.  I do think maverick is a more appropriate term than one-man army because the word "one-man army" implies someone who gets things done all by himself or herself

That is not true of Erickson.  He tends to rant and rave, but when it comes time for committee meetings (even his own committee, Administration), nothing gets done and things just get sent to his committee without ever having them addressed.

Ted

Bru67

Quote from: markberwyn on July 02, 2006, 12:02:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of groups.  I find with groups you have to work within the collective body and progress is usually slow at best.  If a person is a can do kinda guy or girl (don't want to leave the gals out cause there are plenty out there that qualify as a one man army), results whether for the good or bad come fast.  I'm best when turned loose like a dog of war.  As with the bad, much can be accomplished for the good behind the scenes - undetected.

Except lone wolves in Berwyn don't seem to wind up doing a whole heck of a lot. I don't think the best-known one-man-armies in this town--Joel Erickson and Anthony Castrogiovanni--could list three accomplishments between the two of them. To the extent we hear from them at all, I mainly hear a lot of chest-beating about how they're lone wolves. Practically by definition, group discussion means that things go more slowly. But it also tends to mean that things get done. "I'm right--you all are wrong" is a sure-fire way to alienate people and ensure that nothing changes.

***** out of 5 stars.

Dancing Queen

Quote from: markberwyn on July 01, 2006, 10:50:34 AM
Well, I guess I'm flattered that BountyHunter thinks I'm the best writer here, but I just like to think I'm the most annoying one--always with the fussy questions, always bitching about evidence, always splitting hairs. (

Yes, MarkBerwyn is Skeptical But Not Cynical... oh wait, sorry, that's his wife. :D