News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Tree Form Hydrangea & The Merrill Magnolia

Started by ruffian, May 31, 2005, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffian

These hydrangeas in the forefront are in the form of a tree.  I will post again when they bloom later this summer.  They really are spectacular.

The Merrill Magnolia is my fav.  They almost look like a gardenia.

sterling

When do they bloom?  I have 3 small hydrangea in backyard.  I read the color of hydrangeas vary considerably due to the pH of the soil they are growing in.  Have you played around with this?

ruffian

Sterling, this my first full year with the hydrangea.  Mine are pee gees and more specifically, tardiva, and produce blooms that are cone shape in late summer and keep blooming till frost.  I think most people are more familiar with the mop heads, where the blooms are round and you see them in blue, pink, etc.

When I planted them last year in late August they had blooms and I was surprised that the blooms do not fall off, they just become like frozen in time.

I posted a very good site that tells more about what you were asking about ...... the ph in the soil determining the depth of color of blooms.  There are so many varieties of hydrangea ...... I'm just learning.  I was concerned how to prune since mine is in a tree form.  Friends, co-workers who have them as bushes tell me they have to be cut almost to the ground.  This site claims they do not have to pruned in that manner, unless they are getting unruly.  Check it out the site.  Also, I posted the area on this site that shows the tardiva so you can see what the blooms look like. 

Do you have hydrangeas?  or are you thinking of getting them?

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/paniculata_var.html

ruffian

Ooops sorry ... I see you said you have 3 of them.  What kind?  How long have you had them?

T-Stan RPCV

Wow, looked at your pictures and I have a hydrangea I planted last year and didnt even know it.  Cool.

ruffian

T.... you will enjoy.  Later, when most all other vegetation is dying back ... the hydrangea is just getting started.  Would like to see a pic of yours when it blooms out.

T-Stan RPCV

Sure, I have no idea when it's suppose to bloom or what it will look like.  It was planted late last year but is taking off this summer. 

I know nothing about gardening.  I come from a family where water gardening is not a hobby (it's life).  They got sick of looking at my backyard last year and when it was time to thin back their garden they showed up with buckets of plants.  Something like this: "Plant this here, plant this here....no, no, that goes there, good now don't kill it"  I havent killed anything yet.

Ana

If they come over again send them over my way.  I love planting.  I have a hydrangea.  I believe it's an Endless Summer it grows wood on wood, whatever that means.  I'm learning.  I also have a star magnolia that I planted last year and a smoke tree that is blooming now.  My digital camera was damaged in during spring break with the kids, so needless to say, I have no pictures.

My hydrangea hasn't bloomed yet, but I see it happening anytime now.   :o

Anyone have a wisteria?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

sterling

Ruffian,

We have Endless Summer Bigleaf and Oak Leaf Hydrangea.  3 of each that were just put in last year after major clean-up of backyard

Thanks for the websites

Know anything about phlox.  I keep trying but for a plant I see everywhere they just don't want to stay alive for me.  Get the white dusty look by end of summer, too

sterling

Hey Ruf!!

We added different chemicals to our hydrangea so instead of being the standard white we have blues and purples!  Way cool!!

OakParkSpartan

What kind of sun do they require? Full, part shade or shade?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ruffian

OakPark ... Mine get shade in the a.m. and full sun in the afternoon, from about Noon on.  When you read information on them, some say, best is sun in the a.m., and shade for the hot afternoons.  Others say vice versa.  Mine are doing well, however, I do water them everyday ... they say they like moist soil but well drained.  Since mine are the Tardiva variety, they will be blooming beginning late summer ... so we'll see how they turn out.  I'll take pics when they bloom.

Ana

Mine are pink.  I added water them with Miracle Grow for Acid Loving Plants.  It was pretty cool watching them change color little by little.  I only have one.  I wanted to see how it liked the space first before adding more.  She loves it.  A.M. shade, P.M. sun.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby