News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Tuck Point Referal?

Started by OakParkSpartan, May 31, 2005, 10:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Can anyone recommend a good tuckpointer?

Also, which is the proper way for the mortar to be placed between bricks.  I'd always thought it should be concave, not convex.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

hvychev

Brian, The mortar should not protrude to much from the brick. Tuckpointing where the mortar sticks way out is called "European tuck pointing". I personally like they way it looks but it is bad because the moisture from the rain and snow collect in the mortar. Eventually it breaks it down.

Ana

We had Stan Guzik or Guzak do our tuckpointing.  European tuckpointing.  I really like it but you are right, the moisture is seeping through the mortar and it is white chalky on this one spot of the house.  I didn't realize that was the reason.  Do you have any suggestions on how to stop it? 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

T-Stan RPCV

Normally, the motor should be concaved (curving in).  This can be done as either a U shaped curve or V joint.  Avoid convex (curving out) or square joints set beyond the exposed surface of the brick, the tops of the U or V should begin at the edge of the brick.  I'm not an architect or tuck-pointer, so you may want to double check my facts on this.

The white chalky material is effloresence.  This is caused by water passing through the bricks or motar and dissolving mineral salts. When the water reaches a surface it evaporates leaving the minerals behind as a deposit.  If you see this there is a problem. Failure to correct it could result in deterioration over time.  If you had the work done recently, check with the contractor for repairs.  If not you may need hire someone to figure it out.

I'm in the process of getting estimates myself.  Jim Lovitt seams to have a good reputation and was competative in cost but he's not returned my calls.  I'll post his contact info. if I can confirm that he still exists.  I'd also be interested in hearing some more recommendations.

OakParkSpartan

Any word T-Stan whether Jim Lovitt exists?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

T-Stan RPCV

He does exist.  He's scheduled to do the work this Sat.  I'll let you know if he shows up, and if so, how it went.

T-Stan RPCV

Jim has been a no-show for his scheduled work and does not return phone calls.  I'm done with that guy.

A neighbor across the street from me has a brother that does tuckpointing as side work.  Young guy but he's very nice and appears to know what he's talking about.  I'm hesitant to use someone with out any referals, but I may role the dice on this one.  It's a very small project that is more mortar repair/patching than tuckpointing.  I'll keep you posted.

OakParkSpartan

I do know I don't want "European" tuckpointing.  Everything I've read says the mortar should be concave, not convex.

Cheers,
Brian

BlackDog

We had concave tuck pointing done in 2002.    While not in Berwyn, the company we used is Majestic Masonry.  The owner is Kevin Masukevich.  His aunt lives on our block.  His number is (847) 516-5888.  The work has held up great.

Roundabout

I used Riteway.  They tuckpointed house sides and spot tuckpointed front.  Clean job on sides, but I had to point out many areas on front of house they missed and they didn't bother to tuckpoint areas not visible from ground until I pointed it out.  Some of these areas were critical points where water would have seeped in.  They eventually did it, but I wasn't happy that I had to point out the problems. 

I also used M. Weber & Son from La Grange Park to install some sleeve AC units in an apt bld.  I was very happy with their work.  Great job.

I Am Back

Quote from: Art on June 01, 2005, 12:52:12 PM
We had Stan Guzik or Guzak do our tuckpointing.  European tuckpointing.  I really like it but you are right, the moisture is seeping through the mortar and it is white chalky on this one spot of the house.  I didn't realize that was the reason.  Do you have any suggestions on how to stop it?  

Sell your house and move to Oak Park.
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

Neighbor

Back,
Oh be quiet!
Why dont you move, and do Berwyn a favor.
Oh, thats right, you may be in a new house anyway, the big house.
You are such a child.....

catspaws

Hi Neighbor,
I like your posts.

I Am Back

Quote from: Neighbor on July 26, 2005, 06:12:34 AM
Back,
Oh be quiet!

"Oh, go away before someone drops a house on you too!"
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

I Am Back

Quote from: catspaws on July 27, 2005, 09:43:02 PM
Hi Neighbor,
I like your posts.

Keep lickin' yourself until ya choke on a hairball.

Neighbor

Back,
Whats a matter, are you afraid you are going to go to jail, dont forget they have it all on tape. Is Daddy still behind you little boy?
Got some candy ready for the "big boys?"

I Am Back

Quote from: Neighbor on July 29, 2005, 04:46:25 PM
Back,
Whats a matter, are you afraid you are going to go to jail, dont forget they have it all on tape. Is Daddy still behind you little boy?
Got some candy ready for the "big boys?"

Sounds like you know a thing or two about "candy" and "big boys."
"...Won't you please, won't you please, please won't you be my neighbor..."
I'm getting all "tingly" waiting for Mr. McFeel-me to bring me my package from Fredericks of Hollywood.

Neighbor

Back,
If you are a woman, I think you have a problem.

I Am Back

Quote from: Neighbor on July 26, 2005, 06:12:34 AM
Back,
Oh be quiet!

I know a guy that does "cement" work...you want I should send him over?

ivan

Anyone have a new referral for tuckpointing? I need entire house done bad. Looking for a good job
and good price.