News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

City Council Recap and Editorial - July 11th

Started by scoon, July 16, 2006, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beans

Thank you Brain and scoon for doing this.

If anyone thinks they can do better, good luck.

scoon

Quote from: time after time on July 17, 2006, 09:13:34 AM
When the re-caps were posted in Reports from Local Events and Meetings we seemed to find them just fine.  680 views with 53 replies from the 6/27 meeting and 558 views with 45 replies from the 6/13 meeting.

Sorry that you are disappointed with the reaction from some of us.  I am disappointed also to find out that you have your own personal agenda for doing this.  Maybe you will be next to get a job with the City like Brian and Jim.  Good luck and thanks for all your effort.

I'm not sure where you're going here Cindy.  --  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thanks that I get.  I'm glad to do this for everyone.  But my altruism goes only so far.  My personal agenda includes making Berwyn a better place by reporting the events of the city with my own spin and get it to the largest audience possible. 

I'm not gunning for a job at city hall.  That would not allow me to achieve my personal agenda.  I'm gunning for a writing/editing position in the private sector that will allow me more creative freedom and having a portfolio to show will only help that.  A good job affords me to opportunity to better my home and community. 

Quote from: time after time on July 17, 2006, 09:33:37 AM
For those of us who can not attend meetings the re-caps are appreciated.  I thought thanks were in order since there always seems to be a complaint of sitting through the circus. 

For that you are welcome and I'm glad to do it.  (As much as we complain about the circus, we always seem to go back.... ) 

As for you not being part of the clique...  I still don't think there is one.  There are those of us who see each other out and about, but we disagree with each other probably just as much as you and I have disagreed in the past.  Hell, my first post told most of the participants on this board they were a bunch of children who weren't doing anything good for the city.  --  So if there is a clique, it's simply a bunch of people who want Berwyn to improve and are proactive in doing something about it.  We just happened to get friendly in the process of doing so.

Bear

I agree, I don't understand how the notion of a clique got started,
most folks here have been very receptive to new members
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

delbowz

I LOVE the idea of having the recaps on a separate site.  Thanks Scoon for your fun reporting - and thanks to you and Brian for bringing accountability back into the game.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

markberwyn

Quote from: Bear on July 17, 2006, 02:43:10 PM

The majority of posters here are simply people who are concerned about how local government is run but don't have a personal axe to grind about a specific politician or group of politicians. These people are generally called normally functioning human beings. However, here on planet Berwyntalk, this group is called a "clique" by people who have a personal axe to grind, or folks who are so swallowed up by their own political rhetoric they forget to behave like adults (the Ruffian clause).
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

time after time

Thank you for your explanation, Scoon.  I really do like your style (including your fun re-caps).  I wasn't meaning to intentionally go anywhere with my post and I appreciate you not calling me a dumb ass, a troll, an asshat, or someone with a political axe to grind.

Carry on.

Cindy

Berwyn Patsy

This just would not be Berwyn if we could not have a disagreement about a re-cap!  Scoon and Brian are 2 of my favorite people and I do thank them also for all that they have done and accomplished, but I am still glad I can express my opinion, I'll get used to the new way, but for awhile I won't like it, so there!!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: time after time on July 17, 2006, 03:34:17 PM
Thank you for your explanation, Scoon.  I really do like your style (including your fun re-caps).  I wasn't meaning to intentionally go anywhere with my post and I appreciate you not calling me a dumb ass, a troll, an asshat, or someone with a political axe to grind.

Carry on.

Cindy

And I appreciate that you don't accuse me of taking a gravy train ride.  That's what prompted the dumbass comment.  I could never, ever work at city hall.  1) I'd be too frustrated; 2) they are really low on the cool computer toys scale; 3) I'd be crazy to take a job where it may disappear every 4 years rather than based upon my performance (and how cheap India, Brazil and China are for outsourcing).

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

time after time

I did apologize for the misinformation.

Cindy

renovatorbear

Quote from: Bear

you're joking, right?

scoon

Quote from: renovatorbear on July 17, 2006, 08:08:35 PM
Quote from: Bear

you're joking, right?

Why do you say that?  I think you've been nothing but an asset to this board and would hope that you'd join us some nite when we all go out so that we can put a face to a screen name.  --  I think you'd have a different opinion about this clique thing.

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on July 17, 2006, 03:12:06 PM
...   this group is called a "clique" by people who have a personal axe to grind, or folks who are so swallowed up by their own political rhetoric they forget to behave like adults (the Ruffian clause).

Or, in Mark's case, the Linda K. clause.   :D  (and, I will not mention last names since I don't want Oak Park Spartan to get sued.)

Ted

OakParkSpartan

Hell, I've gotten complaints about the use of Linda K.  I guess there is only one Linda K in all the world. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

BountyHunter

poor Cindy got beaten down.  OK, da "CLICK":  Scoon, Brian, Bear, BerwynPatsy, T-Stan, Paul Fuentes, Panther.  Am I missing anyone?

click of one: markberwyn - markberwyn rarely offers opinions, and thrives on criticism

Self-Thinker:  Ted.  Ted is one of the few regular members here who is good at offering helpful information, and is not afraid to state his own personal opinion.

The rest of you don't post enough and when you are met in a debate by the fab seven you run for the hills.  Believe me.  I understand.

Fab seven.  I think you need to realize that you ARE a click.  If you don't, it means you are in a state of denial.

The above is just the way I see it.

OakParkSpartan

Poor Cindy got beat down because she stated something that was completely false. 

And since you lumped me in with scoon, I will channel a member of my clique

Seriously Bounty, most of what you write on here is not much different than what the rest of us feel.  Come out and have a beer/martini with us.  Most of us don't bite.

Cheers,
Brian

time after time

Poor Cindy also apologized for posting the misinformation did I not?  At least I can admit when I'm wrong.

Calling me a dumb ass was not necessary but since you are the big man on campus you can say or do whatever the hell you want.

Cindy

BountyHunter

I know how to spell clique.  It was kindof a tongue and cheek use. 

Cindy is right.  One of the problems with the click is they love to call people names which isn't too cool.

scoon

clique:  n.  -  A small exclusive group of friends or associates.

Are we in high skool?  How have we excluded anyone?  A group of people who happen to disagree with a person does not make a clique.  If that's the case... 

Bear and I disagreed this morning...  so that must mean we're not in the same clique. 

Brian and T-Stan disagreed over the handling of HvyChv...  so they're not in the same clique. 

Paul Fuentes and Panther disagree on the "Cubs Suck" thread and a few other things...  so they're not in the same clique.

Brian and I don't necessarily agree on what to do with the bank building, or with calling Cindy a dumb ass...  so there's another.

And Patsy...  well, everyone likes Patsy...

It's been my experience that anytime someone is unpopular because they have an unpopular opinion and consequently feels ganged up on when they are challenged on it goes to the "clique defense".  Other than not subscribing to a way of thought, I ask you...  how have we excluded you?

CozyNite

Where has been La Pantera lately?  He's been keeping pretty quiet lately.  No confessions, no nothing.

The Pope

OakParkSpartan

He was at OOT on Friday with Paul and a bunch of us cliquers.