News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Need Someone to Finish Our Bathroom

Started by Ana, June 01, 2005, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Does anyone have any referrals?  My husband started the work but he is too busy to finish, anyone have a referral for a dependable carpenter that will pick up where someone left off?  All materials have been purchased.  Thanks.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

ms_president

Hi.  If you are in need of any stonework (i.e. vanity top) Absolute Stonework in Cicero does a fabulous job!
Check out their site... www.absolutestonework.com

Ana

Gosh, that is beautiful.  Have you used them?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

ms_president

Yes, they've done lots of work for us.

I Am Back

Quote from: Aimee on July 30, 2005, 10:11:30 AM
Art,
I also need someone to start/finish our only bath, need some tile work done.
I do not know of anyone do you? We are using subway tile to keep  it looking more arts & crafts style. We had plastic tile that I took down, pretty ugly.

Either the 60's were REALLY good to you...or the doctor dropped you on your head. Subway tile? Why not go completely Oak Park trendy and hire a wino to sleep in your tub for a real subway ambiance? Or did you mean the "Subway Sandwich" tile decor? In that case do you loose weight if you stare at it?

W.W.J.D?

(What Would Jared Do)
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

I Am Back

Quote from: Aimee on July 31, 2005, 07:41:13 AM
Back,
I guess you dont own a bungalow, Subway tile was the original tile used in most bathrooms in bungalows.
I forgot, you are selling your home to pay for your attorney, stuid me.
Are you done moving yet? I saw all the garbage behind your place...

"Subway" tile is not exclusive to Bungalows, hon...I have lived in and owned homes with "subway" tile that could never be mistaken for a Bungalow. I am not selling my home to pay for my attorney. My attorney fees have all been covered from my very successful eBay auction of your last two brain cells. Thanks!
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

I Am Back

Quote from: Aimee on August 01, 2005, 02:12:15 PM
Touchy touchy....
Actually I have 3 brain cells, thank you very much! :o
Never said subway tile was only used on bungalows do you also have ADA?
I am glad to see you were able to sale what I gave you. Dont I get a cut, since their my brain cells? Pookeymuffin?

Can the one remaining braincell, that you have left, allow you to process the counting of numbers with more than two digits?

Bru67

Quote from: I Am Back on July 31, 2005, 05:50:26 AM
Quote from: Aimee on July 30, 2005, 10:11:30 AM
Art,
I also need someone to start/finish our only bath, need some tile work done.
I do not know of anyone do you? We are using subway tile to keep  it looking more arts & crafts style. We had plastic tile that I took down, pretty ugly.

Either the 60's were REALLY good to you...or the doctor dropped you on your head. Subway tile? Why not go completely Oak Park trendy and hire a wino to sleep in your tub for a real subway ambiance? Or did you mean the "Subway Sandwich" tile decor? In that case do you loose weight if you stare at it?

W.W.J.D?

(What Would Jared Do)

Oh shut up you old hag.  Aimee, we're going to do Subway tile in our bathroom too when we get to that project this winter.  Ours was last redone in the '80s, in a lovely tan and brown.  Bleech.  It looks like the San Diego Padres locker room.  Anyway, as our bungalow expert, did they do the tile all the way up the wall or about 1/2 way up with paint on the top?  I tend to think the latter looks better -- maybe go with a white subway tile and turquoise paint up top -- but a lot of pictures I see of old bungalows have tile all the way to the ceiling.  Your thoughts? 

Ana

We are doing subway tile halfway and paint the rest of the way.  The shower portion will have subway tile all around.  We are using an octagon shaped tile for the floor, black and white.

I think we may have found someone.  I'll let you all know later.

Bru67

Quote from: Art on August 02, 2005, 09:55:35 AM
We are doing subway tile halfway and paint the rest of the way.  The shower portion will have subway tile all around.  We are using an octagon shaped tile for the floor, black and white.

I think we may have found someone.  I'll let you all know later.

I think we're going to have pretty much the same bathroom.  My guess is that you speak of the octagon shaped tile that's at Home Depot?  That'll look good in a Bungalow bathroom and is about as close to authentic as I have been able to find on the general market.  FYI, they offer it in different colors at Century Tile, 5719 W Diversey Ave., though it's more costly there. 

Bru67

5' above Tub, thanks.  Now, how high in the rest of the room?  Same?  As to the dull octagon, that's what I want but don't know if you can even get it now.  The stuff Art is talking about is about as close as I've seen thus far, and I've been looking.   

Ana

Also Bru, I know I've said this before but check out houseinprogress.net.  They used our same floor tile and they also did the subway tile on their bathroom wall.  I want my wall tile to come up to right below my bathroom mirror above the sink.  What kind of border tile are you using?  Same as Aimee?  I really like the decorative border tiles in the Bungalow Bathrooms book.  BTW, have any of you purchased any of the bungalow books? 

I Am Back

Quote from: Aimee on August 02, 2005, 12:59:16 PM
Oh shut up you old hag.  Aimee, we're going to do Subway tile in our bathroom too when we get to that project this winter.  Ours was last redone in the '80s, in a lovely tan and brown.  Bleech.  It looks like the San Diego Padres locker room.  Anyway, as our bungalow expert, did they do the tile all the way up the wall or about 1/2 way up with paint on the top?  I tend to think the latter looks better -- maybe go with a white subway tile and turquoise paint up top -- but a lot of pictures I see of old bungalows have tile all the way to the ceiling.  Your thoughts?  

Well, according to Neal (my dearest Husband) who used to do tile for a living. In the tub area;"The standard is 5 feet from the top of the tub" We are wanting to do a white Subway tile with a 1/2" Cobalt Blue border near the top.
We already have the octagon tile on the floor, but it is a wedgewood blue and dull white, very hard to find anything to match it. We came up with the coblat blue to match the tiling on the floor, also because we have the colbalt blue fiesta ware for our dinner plates. We are going to be using a new product called Nu-wall.
It is a figerglass product that stops cracks in the plaster. It is like putting up wallpaper.We have used it before and it is gauranteed for a life time. Abit messy to work with but the results are great. WE do not have any drywall in our bungalow, and do not want to start now.
We also will probably paint the wall above the tile a plain white. I hate dust bunnies! This way, easy to see the bunnies when cleaning. I hope this helps.
I will keep all of you posted on our progress.

And just why, exactly, is the color of your dinnerware and the color of your bathroom tile important? Do you usually dine in the restroom?

Paul Fuentes

As much as I hate to admit it, that ranks high in terms of comeback.  Judges score a 9.7. 

Ana

Bru67

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on August 02, 2005, 10:06:11 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, that ranks high in terms of comeback.  Judges score a 9.7.  

Especially since her plastic pink dishes probably match the plastic pink tile in her bathroom. 

Paul Fuentes

Just call them as I see them. Don't blame the messenger. 

As an aside, he or she has posted some information that shows insight into the going ons here.  Sorry, but censorship, although I might disagree with the content, has never been nor will ever be something I support or condione. 

If I oppose constructionist interpretations of the Constitution on one issue, I would be a hypocrite to support it as it serves me.  Every one has the right to speak their views.

I Am Back

SIZZLE !!! SCORE ONE FOR THE SHE-DEVIL !!!

Ana

In this instance only, that is what you call a view?

Paul Fuentes

You must have eaten some Thai food.  Refer to the food post.