Bungalow Expo

Started by tgoddess, July 18, 2006, 07:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgoddess

http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-bungalow18.html

Business
Bungalow expo more environmentally friendly

July 18, 2006

Chicago's most popular home show, the Historic Chicago Bungalow Expo, will undergo a renovation of its own this year when it opens Sept. 30.

The show, which draws thousands of Chicago area bungalow owners and admirers each year to learn about buying, restoring and renovating historic Chicago bungalows, is expanding its reach and is being re-named the Historic Chicago Bungalow & Green Home Expo.

Responding to a growing interest by bungalow owners and other Chicago home owners, this year's Expo is adding vendors and workshops on rehabbing homes using environmentally sound techniques.

The show is sponsored by the Historic Chicago Bungalow Association in partnership with the City of Chicago's Department of Housing and Department of Environment and the Chicago Sun-Times.

The Expo will move from the Illinois Institute of Chicago to the city's most famous home show venue, the Merchandise Mart. At the same time, through the generosity of the Kennedy family and other sponsors, the Expo will remain free of charge to all attendees.

In past years, the annual Historic Chicago Bungalow Expo has drawn more than 8,000 people who gather to view and buy home improvement and restoration products and services and attend dozens of "how to" workshops offered throughout the day.

By expanding the vendors and workshops to include those who focus on environmentally friendly products and techniques, the expo organizers will aid thousands of other homeowners of aging buildings who are equally as interested in preserving their homes and neighborhoods.

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Guy_on_Clinton

I went last year... it was pretty interesting to see all the bungalow lovers.... too bad the grants and such offered dont apply to Berwyn & Cicero.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bru67

It would be nice to see the BHS draw up and push for a Bungalow Preservation Initiative for Berwyn, perhaps even joining forces with a Historical Society in another community which also has a lot of bungalows for some clout and numbers.  I don't know if Cicero has a historical society or not but the two together would surely wield some power.

Not to any way disrespect the battle over the Bank Building but it would seem to me that a Bungalow Preservation Initiative would carry a lot more mileage and bang for the buck.  As we all know, smaller organizations with limited resources sometimes have to choose their battles carefully and with long term strategy in mind.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bru67 on July 19, 2006, 10:13:53 AM
It would be nice to see the BHS draw up and push for a Bungalow Preservation Initiative for Berwyn, perhaps even joining forces with a Historical Society in another community which also has a lot of bungalows for some clout and numbers.  I don't know if Cicero has a historical society or not but the two together would surely wield some power.

Not to any way disrespect the battle over the Bank Building but it would seem to me that a Bungalow Preservation Initiative would carry a lot more mileage and bang for the buck.  As we all know, smaller organizations with limited resources sometimes have to choose their battles carefully and with long term strategy in mind.

And it would make the BDC Board of Directors happier if that thorn went away  :D

Cheers,
Brian

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bru67

Hehe, perhaps  ;).  All kidding aside, my position, at least, is what the community wants to do is what should ultimately be done.  The BDC serves the community, not vice-versa.  I have my personal views as a Berwyn resident -- a) that the empty, decaying building is an eyesore and hurting the area; b) that immediate development is desirable and in fact necessary; and, c) I believe that if if the Applebee's offers are rejected, the Bank will sit empty for an additional, and probably long, period of time. 

But again, that's me.  There's 54,999 other people in town who may or may not agree.  And that's ok.  We live in a democracy.

A bungalow initiative would serve preservation goals and attract the higher demographics that we seek. That in turn will spur preservation and development along our commercial corridors.