News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

City Council Recap and Editorial - July 11th

Started by scoon, July 16, 2006, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BountyHunter

Put it to a vote.  How many think this room is dominated by a click.  Seems fair.  A vote doesn't show your name, just your vote.  Wait, is it possible the click could vote more than once?

CozyNite

Bounty,

Why do you care so much if there is a clique or not?  I mean, even if there is a clique, so what?  You are still able to post your opinions and views of the city and whatever else as a whole.  There are agreements and disagreements on here every day.  Some of those members that are in the clique do hang out and meet up, but those invites go out to everybody on this board.  They are called "board meetings" for a reason.  I have personally never been to a board meeting, but those invites are for everyone.

So what if there is a clique.  So what if people disagree w/ you.  It may seem like they may gang up on you, but it's probably just that some people tend to disagree with you.  So what?  What's the big deal?

scoon

I just realized that we're allowing them to put a negative connotation on clique.  I guess if they don't want to join our group of friends and associates who want to make Berwyn a better place and have a good time doing it...  but would rather criticize it...  no skin off my ass.  We'll get satin jackets with a logo, come up with a secret handshake, and have meetings in my treehouse.

And careful Cozy, lest you get fingered as a cliquer for asking about the infamous La Pantera.

Bear

Good golly...such mindless banter with no discussion of issues that surround us
that need our cooperative as a whole to achieve. For those of you who feel
left out of the collective fringe...I offer one word...participate...Tomorrow is the perfect night to achieve such, Cruise Night on Windsor and Oak Park. The oppressive
heat will relent for a fantastic opportunity to get together and meet each other...

Not only that, but we have a new business to welcome, Over the Rainbow ice cream shop,
if you sorry ass souls choose to remain hidden behind a keyboard with nothing else to do but complain and not come out on a beautiful summer evening...

I can only offer you one resolution to your lost life, and that is my newly formed corporation
"Bear's Back to Berwyn 12 step program"...Remember...you are not alone, I accept Visa/Mastercharge and we are recognized by all major insurers such as BC/BS (of Illinois only)...

My cult...sorry I mean our clique will direct you to my outdoor couch for further consultation
and fee arrangement
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

Here you go Bear... http://www.crossconnector.com

No, I didn't search that out...I'd just read about it on another site, and thought this was an interesting coincidence.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scoon

Quote from: Bear on July 18, 2006, 12:18:00 AM
Good golly...such mindless banter with no discussion of issues that surround us
that need our cooperative as a whole to achieve.

And then ya'll wonder why I want to post my recaps on a different site...

renovatorbear

Quote from: scoon
Quote from: renovatorbear on July 17, 2006, 08:08:35 PM
Quote from: Bear
...most folks here have been very receptive to new members

you're joking, right?

Why do you say that? 

Immediately after I posted this it occurred to me that I should have edited the quoted text a bit...I didn't mean to jump in on the discussion of whether there is a clique or not.  I recognize that people have posted here for some time and that friendships have been formed.  That's a good thing.

I meant to take exception with the comment that this is a welcoming environment.  Not so much, IMHO.  I think it may be one of those situations where people are so close to something that they can't be fully objective. 

I'm no stranger to online forums (moderated one for 3 years) and I was really pleased when I stumbled on this one.  My partner and I moved to Berwyn in August of 2002 and until I discovered this site our primary source of information about our community was Berwyn Life (dreadful) and the freebies that made it to our porch during election season.  In comparison, this place is a treasure trove of useful information to absorb and share with others.  It's also entirely entertaining!

But one thing that I felt was conspicuously missing on this site was a section for introductions. Granted, not every user would want to share information there (especially those with an ax to grind and/or those that prefer total anonymity), but others might.  I certainly would have.  A word or two of welcome from a long-time poster in response to an introduction would go a long way toward encouraging further participation*.  More people participating = more information carried forth into the community.

As to the question of a clique...it's easy to understand why people would reach this conclusion.  I often feel that I'm interjecting into a private conversation when I post here.  But that has as much to do with the fact that I haven't attended community events/meetings as anything that's been recorded here.

We're about to take a break from 4-years of renovations to our bungalow. As we do, we plan to make time to get out and meet some of y'all (thanks for the suggestion, scoon!).

*For the record I did receive one note of welcome when I joined this site.  Thank you, Ted.  ;)

scoon

Quote from: renovatorbear on July 18, 2006, 09:06:45 AM
But one thing that I felt was conspicuously missing on this site was a section for introductions. Granted, not every user would want to share information there (especially those with an ax to grind and/or those that prefer total anonymity), but others might.  I certainly would have.  A word or two of welcome from a long-time poster in response to an introduction would go a long way toward encouraging further participation*.  More people participating = more information carried forth into the community.

I like the idea.  Thinking back to my first splash, I got a number of personal messages and welcomes...  and it was nice. 

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not all that welcoming to new members...  but I think after last year, l got used to new members being asshats making rash statements cause they have an axe to grind against someone.  So I take caution when a new person comes on the board.  --  I truly think that's where the idea of a clique comes from. 

I think an intro would go a long way for helping the long time poster to be more accepting of a new member too.

Bear

Renovator, I hope nobody feels they are interrupting a private conversation when posting.
As far as I am concerned the more the merrier.

If I want a private conversation, I speak with my dog. She has not spilled the beans
in over 12 years now

robertcarr

I thought you might have a clique here, but Scoon is right, clique does mean "exclusive," and this site isn't really exclusive.
I picture you guys more like regulars at a bar, the Norms  and Cliffs of Cheers, comfortable on your stools and keeping up a steady banter of jokes that only you get.

- Robert Carr

Bear

Not true Mr. Carr...We are more of a mix of Frazier and Cosmo Kramer,
with a touch of Kostanza mixed in for good measure

Ted

Quote from: renovatorbear on July 18, 2006, 09:06:45 AM
*For the record I did receive one note of welcome when I joined this site.  Thank you, Ted.  ;)

Dude, that's only 'cuz I had figured out who you were from your postings.

By the way, I ran into your partner Saturday at the post office when we were collecting signatures.  After he left, I realized that he might not have known that the lady next to me  was BerwynPatsy from BerwynTalk

Ted

renovatorbear

Quote from: Ted Korbos
By the way, I ran into your partner Saturday at the post office when we were collecting signatures.  After he left, I realized that he might not have known that the lady next to me was BerwynPatsy from BerwynTalk

He sure didn't!  BTW, I was runing errands with a friend when I heard from Richard that y'all were at the post office.  I stopped by, but was too late to catch you.   :)

scoon

So it's OoT on Friday.  Post Office on Saturday?

We know how to do it up in BerWYN.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

BountyHunter

"I guess if they don't want to join our group of friends and associates who want to make Berwyn a better place and have a good time doing it...  but would rather criticize it...  no skin off my ass"

nice