News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Seattle Coffee Shop

Started by mabeda, April 20, 2005, 08:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabeda

Last Sunday morning I was taking a walk with my kids and noticed the Seattle coffee shop on Windsor... it was closed.  Does anyone know what is going on with that?

kmcase

It is just opened Monday through Saturday?  Up until recently, I don't think it was even open on Saturdays, but I believe it is now. 

markberwyn

And apparently it now permits smoking inside. Bah.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

kmcase

Oh it does?  well that kills it for me then.  It's too small to allow smoking.  Maybe they will offer outside seating for the summer months. 

saluki

What is the deal with all the coffee shops in this town allowing smoking?  If I wanted to deal with smoke, I'd go to a tavern or bar.  Grounds for Appeal is just plain nasty...it so smoky and now the Seattle's Best Coffee Shop.   I thought I left the smoky coffeehouses behind in East Village!

mabeda

Saluki, I agree with you totally.  I have visited a couple of family style restaurants in Berwyn, and as soon as you walk in the door, the smoke overwhelms you, it doesn't matter where you sit, smoking or non-smoking... it's horrible!  I did think that Seattle's Best would be different....  I guess not!  Do other Seattle's Best in other towns allow smoking?

saluki

I think the Berwyn "Seattle's Best" is a franchise and not a corporate owned "Seattle's Best".  The others I've been to in Chicago do not allow smoking.

A discussion for another thread, however....  Some non-smoking, BYOB restaurants, I am convinced would absolutely thrive in Berwyn.  Hopefully some of those are in the works too.  We could have a wonderful restaurant row in both the Depot District and Roosevelt Road.

shrugger

that Seattle's Best shop is a little mysterious to me, I've been in there twice on weekday mornings and both times felt like I was the only one who had walked in there so far that day. one of the times my coffee was barely warm, I guess they weren't exactly burning through the coffee that day.

it is too bad because the quality of the coffee there (aside from the temperature) is definitely better than the nearby alternative. part of their problem could be that you wouldn't even notice it was there unless you walked past... plus it isn't exactly surrounded by other hot retailers. did notice a stale cigarette odor, and a big flat screen television on the wall. the smurfs was on when I was in (they still have the smurfs?).
we must cultivate our garden

Ana

Here I go again, has anyone been in Kava Java Cafe on Burlington in Riverside.  It is just west of LaSalle Bank, well, I think that type of coffee shop (similar to Loca Mocha in Brookfield) would do very, very well near the Berwyn train station.  Anyone game?  BTW, they are both non-smoking.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby