News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

September 15th a new bookstore comes to Berwyn!

Started by catspaws, September 08, 2006, 07:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catspaws

This is the first Berwyn Public Library Used Book Sale that will be run by the Friends of the Berwyn
Public Library. In the past, the library always organized the used book sales.

I am especially excited about this sale because we got a big donation that includes many, many rare books.
(first editions and collectables). We looked them up on the rare book seller websites and printed out the
cheapest price listed and put the printout into the book. No "pig in a poke" here. We will be selling the books for
at least half off the printout price.

But besides the rare book room, we have a great selection of books for $.50 for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardbound.

The sale is Friday and Saturday all day, and Sunday afternoon -- September 15th, 16th $ 17th. The rare book room opens
Friday night at 6:30 PM (I think). The Sunday pricing is $1 a bag for the regular booksale room books.

Please come out and support my first official fundraiser (as "Friends" president). Also the money raised goes directly to the library
for projects, not through city hall first.

Will someone put this on the calendar for me, please?

hounddog

Terri

Is there a charge for the Friday night event?  Also, do you need books donated or is it too late?

Terri   

catspaws

Okay, you got me. It is a twice a year book sale, not really a bookstore, but I wanted to get the word out.
We are having trouble getting information into the local papers. I hoped to get some grass roots publicity by
word of mouth.

There is no charge to enter any of the sale. The regular book sale opens at 9 AM on Friday and the "collectable and rare"
room opens at 6:30 PM on Friday but there is no charge to enter either room.

We have literally tons of books but there is always room for more. The biggest problem is what to do with the left-overs.
All the need in the Hurricane damaged areas can't be filled because transportation for the books is required.

If any organizations would like to take left overs please email me or contact the Library.

Bear

Catpaws...I am quite sure Filmore's book store on Windsor will take your unsold items. I am surprised that there is no communication between these two groups.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ted

Quote from: Bear on September 10, 2006, 08:25:22 PM
Catpaws...I am quite sure Filmore's book store on Windsor will take your unsold items. I am surprised that there is no communication between these two groups.

I had a friend who went to Fillmore bookstore in the late 1990's once and found they had a bunch of rare books.  He bought the books and then re-sold them to rare book collectors for a profit that he said was in the hundreds of dollars.

Ted

robertcarr

Quote from: catspaws on September 10, 2006, 07:58:33 PM
Okay, you got me. It is a twice a year book sale, not really a bookstore, but I wanted to get the word out.
We are having trouble getting information into the local papers. I hoped to get some grass roots publicity by
word of mouth.

There is no charge to enter any of the sale. The regular book sale opens at 9 AM on Friday and the "collectable and rare"
room opens at 6:30 PM on Friday but there is no charge to enter either room.

We have literally tons of books but there is always room for more. The biggest problem is what to do with the left-overs.
All the need in the Hurricane damaged areas can't be filled because transportation for the books is required.

If any organizations would like to take left overs please email me or contact the Library.

First I've heard of it.

- Robert Carr
City Editor
Life Newspapers
rcarr@libertysuburban.com

catspaws

Robert,

The Library handles the publicity and has mailed, phoned, emailed, begged and prioritised
requests for listings on the community events page. The used book sale info was sent in
with a cover letter asking that if nothing else gets put in from the Berwyn Library events this
year, please, please, please print this info.  So far we have not seen any copy in the Life.
Maybe it is not getting to you. Can you post or send privately, where and how to send press releases
so they get to the right person or department to get into the paper?

The library is such a great asset with so many free programs that people would really enjoy if they only
knew about them. Thanks for any help you can give the Friends of the Berwyn Public Library.

Terri

The new Park District/Library brochures arrived today at our home, the Friends of the Library had a full size page listing their upcoming events.  Info on the book sale was in there. 

Terri

catspaws

Great! I haven't got mine yet. Maybe tomorrow. I had hoped that the park district/library
brochure would have come out a little earlier, for the booksale's sake.
Be sure to read the brochure thoroughly because there is a "free prize" inside.

TAL

where is the sale? at the library? I didn't see that anywhere. Maybe I missed it. Or perhaps I am to assume...

scoon

TAL, TAL, TAL...

Don't you know that this is the best source of information in the city?  (As taken with a grain of salt of course.)

This and berwyncommunitynews.com of course...

TAL

scoon,

I do!!!, and that's why I visit. I find out a lot about Berwyn on this site.

But I didn't see in catspaws posts where the sale is actually being held.

catspaws

So sorry about that, TAL. Yes, the sale is at the library on the 2nd floor in the Community Room for the regular books and in the Board room for the rare books.

I was over there most of today helping set up the books and sort the non-fiction into broad categories, really broad. I think the evening volunteers might have refined my broad categories.

So come on down to the library Friday, Saturday and Sunday and load up on books.