News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

District 201 Board Meeting - October 11, 2006

Started by Ted, October 11, 2006, 07:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Morton High School District 201 will be holding its monthly board meeting tonight, October 11, starting at 7 PM at Morton East High School.

FYI, it looks like one of the items in the agenda is the hiring of Jerry Chlada's son to be a police officer on the East campus.  Jerry Chlada is a long time board member. 

To summarize, here are some of the employees of District 201:

Erin Kelly, Assistant Principal - daughter of board president Margaret Kelly
   Peter Kelly, janitor - son of board president Margaret Kelly
   Jerry Chalda Jr., police officer - son of board member Jerry Chlada

Also, the son of Larry Dominck,  the Cicero President, is also employed as a janitor in the district.

Dancing Queen

Quote from: Ted Korbos on October 11, 2006, 07:15:45 AM
      FYI, it looks like one of the items in the agenda is the hiring of Jerry Chlada's son to be a police officer on the East campus.  Jerry Chlada is a long time board member. 

You have got to me kidding me.  4 weeks before the tax referendum election??!!!  The people on the 201 board must be politically tone deaf.

The same Jerry Chlada that called the people of Berwyn a bunch of racists now wants the district to hire his son as a security guard!!!

No wonder tax payers and voters don't trust this board.

Ted

FYI, here is the agenda from the District 201 web site:

Next Board Meeting 
The next Board of Education meeting is scheduled for October 11, 2006.  The Agenda is as follows: 
7:00 p.m. REGULAR MEETING: Morton East High School, Cicero, Illinois
         Staff Cafeteria

I. CALL TO ORDER
Dr. Margaret Kelly, President, Board of Education

II. PLEDGE TO THE FLAG
Dr. Margaret Kelly, President, Board of Education

III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES, PAYROLL AND ACCOUNTS PAYABLE
Dr. Margaret Kelly, President, Board of Education will ask for motions to approve:

A. MINUTES:
   Executive Session September 13, 2006
   Regular Meeting September 13, 2006

B. PAYROLL: Education Fund: $ 4,942,430.85
    Building Fund: $ 643,826.52
   Transportation Fund: $ 5,487.39

C. ACCOUNTS:
  1. Utility bills for payment as bills came due
2. Regular Accounts
            September  $

IV. AUDIENCE COMMENTS ON ACTION ITEMS ONLY
V. ACTION ITEMS

1. Approval of Expulsion Items
      301366  271295
      271426  300740
      283227  300755
      283150  303164
      283376  280296
2. Approval of Personnel Action Items
     A.  Approval of Employment of Personnel
CERTIFIED STAFF
Administrator
Robert Schneider  Substitute for A.P. Operations – West
    Replacement for Angela Weaver
    Effective: 9/18/06

NON-CERTIFIED STAFF

Clerical
Rebecca Sosa  SPED – Data Secretary – West
    Replacement for Debbie Hutchens
    Effective: 10/12/06

Mark Sujak   Library Clerk – East
      Replacement for Zulieka Cerino
      Effective: Pending Fingerprint Results

Food Service
Sabina Burciaga  Part Time Server – East
    Replacement for Maria Chacon
    Effective: 10/16/06

Frances Bustamante Full Time Cashier – West
     Replacement for Jeannie Lynch

Edith Chacon  Substitute/Floater – West
     Effective:  Pending Fingerprint Results

Maria Chacon  Part Time Cashier – East
     Replace for Gertrude Rodriguez

Odalis Davids  Substitute/Floater - District 201

Maria Esparza   Part Time Server – East
    Replacement for Susan Malinowski

Damaris Fuentes  Substitute/Floater – District

Magally Rodriguez  Part Time Server – East
    Replacement for Graciela Jaramillo

Maria Torres   Substitute/Floater – District

Martha Vega   Part Time Cashier – West
    Replacement for Sandra Reberski

Security
Rosa Arevalo  P/T Security/Café Supervision – FC

Vickie Green   Security (10 Mo) – East
    Replacement for Jasmine Lugo

Michael Howell  Security (10 Mo) – East
    Replacement for Miguel Guzman
    Effective: 10/30/06

Lisa Montejano  P/T Security/Café Supervision
    Effective: Pending Fingerprint Result

Teacher Aides
Emma Canizales  SPED Teacher Aide – West
      New Position

Danita Cappetta  SPED Teacher Aide – West
New Position
      Effective:  Pending Fingerprint Results

Hector Figueroa  SPED Teacher Aide – West
      New Position

James Klir   SPED Teacher Aide – West
    Replacement for Carolina Ruiz
    Effective: 10/12/06

Graciela Solis  CTE Attendance Caller – West
    Part Time/Temporary Position

Lisa Terrazas  SPED Teacher Aide – West
    New Position
    Effective: 10/23/06

COACHES FOR 2006-07
Tony Asay   Co-Directors for Girls Basketball Intramurals
Kevin Melvin   

Scott Gourley  Head Boys Swimming Coach

Lynette Polchan  Head girls Gymnastics Coach

Joe Tedeschi   Assistant Girls Bowling Coach

POLICE OFFICERS (on Call Part-time)
Robert Avalos  West Campus

Jerry Chlada, Jr.  East Campus

Fred Garza   East Campus

B. Approval of Leaves, Resignations, Releases and Retirements

Resignations

Miguel Castillo  Computer Services Technician – District
    Effective: 10/5/06

Tom Eukovich  Assistant Boys Basketball Coach
    Effective: 9/29/06

Kim Gonzalez  Superintendent's Administrative Assistant - District 201    Effective: 9/30/06

Kristy Kratochvil  Assistant Softball Coach
    Effective: 9/26/06

Susan Malinowski  P/T Server – East
    Effective: 9/30/06

Terri Manfredi  Food Service Substitute - District 201
    Never Started

Frank Taylor   SPED Teacher Aide
    Effective: 12/22/06

3. Request to Change Sabbatical Leave Plan

4. Approval of Student Travel

Mark Gaffner  Grissom Air Museum
6-10 Students  Peru, Indiana
   October 14, 2006
  Funding Source: Students

Rafael Ramire  Circle Pines Center
Roman Emano  Delton, Michigan
20 Students            October 13-15, 2006
   Funding Source:  Students

Janine Delmonico  University of Illinois
Christopher Hewelt Champaign, Illinois
Elizabeth McCormack January 4, 5 and 6, 2006
Tom Rusnak  Funding Source: MTA and Students
56 Students
3 Chaperones

5. Approval of Resolution: Use of Referendum Funds
6. Approval of Contracts:
     a. Physical Therapy Services Agreement
     b. Physical Therapy Assistant Services Agreement
     c. Contract for Field Experiences and/or Student Teaching with Elmhurst College
     d. Security System Service Agreement – East & West
     e. Drivers Education Simulator – East & West

7. Facility Requests:
     a. Arab American Action Network (AAAN)
     b. Berwyn Bull Dogs
     c. Berwyn Explorers
     d. Havlicek Elementary
     e. Irving Elementary
     f. Jefferson Elementary
     g. Laurie Stokes – Science Dept. - West
     h. Little Mustangs Wrestling
     i. Lithuanian Opera
     j. Morton Football Parents
     k. Morton West PTO
     l. Morton Quality in Education
    m. North American Grappling
     n. Our Lady of Charity
     o. Sarah's Inn
     p. South Cicero Baseball

8. Approval to Accept Tax Objection Settlement from Tenney & Bentley
9. Old Business
VI. INFORMATION ITEMS
     1. Report from Computer Services
     2. Update on Condition of Selected Roofs
     3. Next Regular Board Meeting:  November 8, 2006
VII. AUDIENCE COMMENTS
VIII. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
IX. ADJOURNMENT

Berwyn Patsy

The district 201 administration and board, never cease to amaze me.  Just when I thought maybe some things were about to change, guess nepotism is not one of them.

Ted

Here is a summary of the District 201 board meeting that occurred on October 11, 2006:

1) Usual Business - The usual business of paying payroll, paying accounts payable, expelling students and hiring new people was approved.  The most notable item was the hiring of Jerry Chlada Jr. as a part-time, on-call police officer.  Jerry Chlada Jr. is the son of Disitrct 201 board member Jerry Chlada Sr.. Jerry Chlada voted present on the motion to approve all hirings.

2) Field trips - The board approved 3 field trips - an outing to the Grissom Air Museum in Peru, Indiana; an outing to the Circle Pines Center in Delton Michigan; and an outing for the theatre group to participate in a theatre competition in Champaign, Illinois.

3) Resolution on Tax Referendum Money Use - As they did last winter, the board voted on a resolution on how the tax money from the tax rate increase would be used if it passes in November. Since the list was not read publicly (a motion had been made to waive reading of the resolution), I do not know what items were in the resolution.

4) Approval of contracts - Approval of contracts for physical therapy services, student teachers from Elmhurst college, security cameras and driver's education simulators.

FYI, when the tax increase referendum was on the ballot last March, driver's education simulators were at the top of the list, so I guess District 201 found the money to buy the simulators even without the tax rate increase.

5) Facility requests - All requests to use DIstrict 201 facilities were approved (there were 18 requests).  The most out-of-the-ordinary requests to use facilities came from the Arab American Action Network and from the Lithuanian Opera.  All other requests were from organizations in Cicero or Berwyn.

6) Tax Settlement - A group of tax payers (mostly or entirely corporate) sued District 201 for around $500,000 for overcharges in taxes in the 2001 and 2002 tax year.  The District settled the law suit for $13,234 for the 2001 tax year and $14,403 for the 2002 tax year.

7) Computer systems - The head of data processing gave a presentation on the computer systems used for student management. He stated that the current system was a Unix system installed in 1999 and which was costing the district  a lot of money to maintain.  The DP head stated that both the hardware and software had become antiquated and was causing a lot of problems, some of which were due to the fact that the network was Microsoft-based and, he claimed, a UNIX server does not work well on a Microsoft network..

The DP head proposed getting a new set of hardware and software to replace the current system. He proposed getting 3 new servers to replace the existing server and new application software as well. His group had gone through a software selection process and had narrowed down the software selection to two possible packages.  The new system would cost $200,000 initially.  The DP head believed that it would cost less in the long run because, he believed, he would get better support and service from the new application software provider  than he got from the old application software provider.

8. Roof - The roof at Morton East is leaking and needs to be fixed. Dr. Nowakowski stated that the current roof was put in in 1986 and was supposed to have a life span of 10 years. A board member asked if funds from the Life Safety tax could be used to fix the roof. Dr. Nowakowski stated that those funds could be used but that there was not enough money in the fund to cover the entire cost. It was also stated that the roof at Morton West would need fixing as well.

After the public meeting, the board went back into executive session to discuss a personnel matter.

Berwyn Patsy

My comments/observations on the 10/11/06 201 meeting.
Actually I'll try not to be so negative. Maybe I will give some suggestions for a better run meeting.
The meetings always seem to start late.  I make it my business to be on time for everything and do not appreciate being kept waiting for 22 minutes.  What takes so long when the school board meetings actually start at 5:00 ??  Please try to start some what on time, or at least acknowledge that you are sorry for having to keep people waiting. Offering a small explanation and or I am sorry note, sets the tone for the audience.
A microphone would really be helpful, it is extremely hard to hear anyone speaking.  That can be irritating to the audience.
Now for the positives.  I actually for the first time walked away thinking , things are looking up.  Dr. Nowakowski answered any questions asked by the board.  The meetings I have been at usually , are cut and dried and questions are not asked about items being discussed.
All 4 principals gave a good news report about their schools and genuinely seemed to be excited about all the good things that are going on with the students.  I was glad to sense enthusiasm in the group.
At least Jerry Chalda Sr. did not blatantly vote for his sons part time newly hired position.  I still think it's a bad time for the board to be handing out patronage jobs.
Thanks Ted for your re-cap, you always do such a good job.

Ted

Quote from: Ted Korbos on October 11, 2006, 11:10:31 PM

Here is a summary of the District 201 board meeting that occurred on October 11, 2006:

4) Approval of contracts - Approval of contracts for physical therapy services, student teachers from Elmhurst college, security cameras and driver's education simulators.

FYI, when the tax increase referendum was on the ballot last March, driver's education simulators were at the top of the list, so I guess District 201 found the money to buy the simulators even without the tax rate increase.

Joe Keating sent me an email asking me to correct something in the summary.

The contract for the driver's education simulators is for maintenance on the existing simulators, not for the purchase of new simulators.

Joe,thanks for the correction.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

Another reason to use a micro phone, it was really hard to hear the speaker talking, he had his back to the audience most of the time, since he was directing his information to the school board.

robertcarr

Next time, everybody else get up and stand right at the board table, like I did. That has to be the largest separation of board members and audience I've ever seen. Start moving your chairs up so that you're right up against them. It's not illegal, in fact, it's your right. They're YOUR board, not the other way around.

Berwyn Patsy

Great idea Robert. Think I'll have to try that next meeting.  I really don't think they would mind, to be polite we could mention the reason why we have moved the chairs in closer.

Ted

It's especially bad when the cafeteria refrigerators start that whirring sound.  At that point, you cannnot hear anything said.

Ted

Dancing Queen

Quote from: Ted Korbos on October 11, 2006, 11:10:31 PM

3) Resolution on Tax Referendum Money Use - As they did last winter, the board voted on a resolution on how the tax money from the tax rate increase would be used if it passes in November. Since the list was not read publicly (a motion had been made to waive reading of the resolution), I do not know what items were in the resolution.

Ted, why didn't the board read the resolution out loud?  It seems odd that the board would pass a resolution supporting the tax increase and not want it read out loud for the public to hear.

I mean, what was the purpose of even having a resolution if not to read before the public?  It doesn't seem like something they'd want just for their own private benefit.

Berwyn Patsy

DQ, I wondered the same thing.  I thought I heard something about waiting to see if the referendum passed first.  Like I said you could hardly hear anything.
Joe Keating has said he would be glad to answer any questions, just prefers not to do it on this board.  You can call him at 708-484-0677.  Actually I just left him a message.

cicero kid

nothing better than to have a POLICE OFFICER in charge of the gangs an tact unit to be working at a school with gangs . Your sorry ass is just pissed because you Berwyn pricks didn't do it at west first. AS for the other crap with the brainless KELLY'S that whole family belongs on the little yellow bus with the other Berwyn DEE DEE DEE, and now Dominick's kid he has been at the school for over 9 years long before    Mr. DOMINICK RAN FOR PRESIDENT . So know your shit before you bitch.

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Hell of an intro to this board kid. Welcome.

Irrespecetive of Chlada Jr's. "qualifications", his father voting on his hire is a conflict of interest, a concept foreign to many in these parts. I believe recusal would have been a better option.

As for Dominick's kid, nobody said a thing about outside of the fact he's employed by the district. Helps to read the posts.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Bear

Quote from: cicero kid on October 13, 2006, 06:08:44 PM
nothing better than to have a POLICE OFFICER in charge of the gangs an tact unit to be working at a school with gangs . Your sorry ass is just pissed because you Berwyn pricks didn't do it at west first. AS for the other crap with the brainless KELLY'S that whole family belongs on the little yellow bus with the other Berwyn DEE DEE DEE, and now Dominick's kid he has been at the school for over 9 years long before    Mr. DOMINICK RAN FOR PRESIDENT . So know your shit before you bitch.

Truly a written testimony to all that is Cicero
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ted

Quote from: P-PANTHER on October 13, 2006, 06:33:17 PM
Irrespecetive of Chlada Jr's. "qualifications", his father voting on his hire is a conflict of interest, a concept foreign to many in these parts. I believe recusal would have been a better option.

FYI, Mr. Chlada Sr. did vote present on his son's hiring rather than voting Yea or Nay.  So he did recuse himself.

Ted

Quote from: cicero kid on October 13, 2006, 06:08:44 PM

Yet another reason to vote in favor of consolidating Morton West High School with District 98 and District 100.

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Ted,

You're right, I misread the original post. Somehow thought Sr. voted on it.

Nonetheless, not a good item to put on the agenda timing wise, unless there is a pressing present need for the hires.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Ted

Quote from: P-PANTHER on October 13, 2006, 07:13:47 PM
Ted,

You're right, I misread the original post. Somehow thought Sr. voted on it.

Nonetheless, not a good item to put on the agenda timing wise, unless there is a pressing present need for the hires.

Panther, I agree with that.  The main reason people talk about voting against the tax rate increase referendum is the perception that the District 201 board cares only about patronage and nepotism.  The hiring of Chlada Jr. 4 weeks before the election feeds that perception.

People don't want to feel like chumps if they vote for the tax increase.  The fact that the Director of Curriculum position has been left vacant since last June with no effort to hire anyone leads people to believe that if the referendum passes, the District will hire Margaret Kelly into that position at a 6 figure salary.

And, at that point, people who voted for the tax increase will REALLY feel like chumps.

Ted