News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

10/24/06 Council/COW

Started by cozynite, October 25, 2006, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cozynite

So, what happened last night?  Anything?
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

scoon

http://www.berwyncommunitynews.com/

Oddly disappointing is the phrase I've been using.  Read the recap.

delbowz

Wow - I've made it into a recap.  Now, I know that I must actually WATCH goodfellas to keep up with all of the "inside" jokes.  On my list of things to do.

;D

One thing that I think is worth bringing up - is that during the open session of COW - a previous Treasurer of Berwyn spoke to the council about investigating Privatizing the Finance department.  I think it was an interesting proposition.  He said that the requirement that the director be a CPA is a new requirement in the municipal finance director world (which to me is a scary thought) - and that there may not be a good pool of suitable candidates for the job.  He said that privatization isn't new - we have privatized garbarge pick up (interesting comparison - Berwyns finances and our trash...), and that it could save $$$.  He recommended that the council draft and issue an RFP to see what kind of support they could get for what cost.

Wondering what you guys think of this.  I think its worth looking into - but I know there are 2 sides to every issue - and I know there will be others who disagree.  Wondering what some of the down-sides could be.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

At first, I thought it wasn't a good idea (prior to hearing him speak).  He changed my mind.  I think looking at out-sourcing would be an excellent idea. 

I believe the gentleman was a CPA and MBA.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

I was told that there is little use for a full time CPA, so if we could, in essence, "share" one with others; as long as the work is getting done I think it's a great idea.

I'm sorry I missed that discussion, but dinner had to be eaten.  Wish I could have heard more about the new north fire station.  It looks nice and will definitely be a "jewel" on 16th st.

Terri

A positive part of privatization is in the case of Finances, the company contracted takes full responsibility for any errors.  I did not hear the presentation, but I would suspect this would also involve payroll, taxes, etc.  Usually the business would  have an employee on-site for day to day operations but the actual fiances/accounting is the responsibility of the contracted company. 

For instance, ADP is a payroll processing company.  Most is automated but the business needs an employee to do updates, overtime submissions as well as organizing/filing employee paperwork.  This typically takes 2 work days out of 10, if employees are paid every other week.  The other time could be spent doing other work within the business, possibly benefits administration? 

Terri

Count DMC

QuoteA staffing request for public works was referred to the public works committee, as was a request for a bonus to Vince Comella of the water department.  Bonus?  For keeping the water running?  Kinda like when Jimmy Conway gave a young Henry Hill a wad of cash for keeping the ice cold in Good Fellas?

Or kinda like T.Martirano Sr. giving his cousin(Vince) this cushy job he has!!
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Berwyn Patsy

I hate when your at a council meeting and something slips by you about a bonus for an employee, (Vince Comella) and no one in the audience understands what was said and why.  I would think it's a great idea if I knew more about it, or maybe I wouldn't??  Any ideas?

Bear

Ol' Vince thought is was a swell deal
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

Well, if the City of Berwyn provided the information in the packets to the public, we'd know what they were talking about.  Which for the public would be good.

But then that means we'd know what they were talking about...you figure out the rest.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

One thing I was wondering is if there has ever been a case where a municipality  outsourced the entire running of the city?  You would get similar types of savings that you would get with merging school districts, I think.

Suppose Berwyn were to outsource the entire running of the government to Oak Park, for example.  Would that work?   

Just something I was thinking about.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

But then Ted, what in the world would happen to everyones almighty power??

tony la

On the surface it seems like a good idea but what about all the grants this city has received via the political networking in Springfield. I really have not added it up but there seems like a lot of money has come to the city from Springfield.  If we did not get that money eventually it would come from our city portion of our property taxes.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

bohemian

QuoteOn the surface it seems like a good idea but what about all the grants this city has received via the political networking in Springfield. I really have not added it up but there seems like a lot of money has come to the city from Springfield.  If we did not get that money eventually it would come from our city portion of our property taxes.

Good point Tony.  I have a question.  Not that I support her, but does anybody think that Judy Barr Topinka could be "good for Berwyn" as a Governor because of her Berwyn ties?  Do you think she could have enough of a soft spot for her native Berwyn that we could benefit from it via grants, financial support, and so forth?
Du Hast Mich!

Berwyn Patsy

Going back to Tuesdays council meeting:  (J)8. titled PUB WKS-DIR-BONUS FOR VINCE COMELLA,WATER DEPT.
I am really curious, as how this works??  Has it been a custom to award money bonuses out to employees? I may be wrong here, but isn't he a Dept. head?  Any way he may very well deserve a bonus of $3,000.00, but as a tax payer I believe I should know why, and I believe he should be publicly awarded this for his outstanding services if this is the case.
Kinda like how the Mayor is awarded checks by Martin Sandoval, pictures taken and all.
For the time this issue was refereed back to public works dept.

scoon

When that item came up, Brian and I looked at each other with looks of bewilderment.  A bonus? 

Many private sector companies will have bonus policies in place to reward employees who are recognized by their peers or managers as having gone above and beyond but...

OakParkSpartan

That was odd to me as well.  What kind of Bonus?   What *exactly* has he done to be recognized?   And should he not be paraded in front of council and have his picture taken with the Mayor et al?

Cheers,
Brian

highbooker542

According to a past issue of the Life newspaper,  back in July of 2005 Vince was appointed interim superintendent of water and sewer. He was currently a foreman of that department and a union member. There was no change in salary or position the article stated. Also he would remain in the union during his interim position as superintendent. I would guess he is still a union member in good standing as of today. Here is the problem with the bonus as I see it. Giving a bonus to a union member and by making it public to everyone causes internal conflict amongst the other union employees. Most of the time when an employer wants to reward an employee they will pay over union scale. I have know idea what the hourly pay rate is for the laborers and foreman. Let us say for a foreman at top pay it is 25.00 dollars an hour. That's the minimum the city is required to pay per the union contract. The city can pay anything they want over that if they see fit. So if they want to pay Vince 27 or 28 dollars an hour they can do it. Usually this is done very discreetly though. A lot of times only the employer and the individual involved are privy to it.  Vince might very well deserve more money but a bonus is not the way to do it in my opinion. Pay him over scale and don't let the other union members know. The way it is now ,  if I was anybody but Vince in the union , my blood would be boiling. Maybe that's what the city wants. A bunch of pissed off union workers. I don't believe the union contract has been ratified yet.

Bear

Methinks this was done intentionally to send a message to the legions of patronage
people in PWD who got jobs thru the last admin, and are not being "cooperative"
with the mayor and his new appointees in public works...

Truly brilliant if this is the case...But brilliant and Berwyn are usually two words that
should never be mentioned in the same sentence..

I wonder if Matriano is still calling city hall asking the mayor for his missing Sinatra CD
that he left in his city vehicle that the mayor now drives...
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Berwyn Patsy

If this was done intentionally, it was not done very smartly. Did they think this would not be noticed on the agenda, or missed as it was slipped back to the PWD for further study or a decision?
If we are suppose to have an open government these days, then besides the fact that my tax dollars could be paying for this "bonus", I would like to be informed just a little bit more.