10/24/06 Council/COW

Started by cozynite, October 25, 2006, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 29, 2006, 09:02:03 AM
If this was done intentionally, it was not done very smartly. Did they think this would not be noticed on the agenda, or missed as it was slipped back to the PWD for further study or a decision?
If we are suppose to have an open government these days, then besides the fact that my tax dollars could be paying for this "bonus", I would like to be informed just a little bit more.

You probably could  FOI the communication from the packet to see just what they voted upon.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Your right, I could probably FOI this piece on the agenda, but why should I have to request, and pay for information that I feel rightfully should be for public knowledge??   This is the part that probably bothers me more then the "bonus" itself.!!

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Count DMC

QuoteMethinks this was done intentionally to send a message to the legions of patronage
people in PWD who got jobs thru the last admin, and are not being "cooperative"
with the mayor and his new appointees in public works...

Truly brilliant if this is the case...But brilliant and Berwyn are usually two words that
should never be mentioned in the same sentence..

I wonder if Matriano is still calling city hall asking the mayor for his missing Sinatra CD
that he left in his city vehicle that the mayor now drives

What would constitute not cooperating with the Mayor? Don't those guys go out and do the job asked of them? Is the Public Works Dept. rebelling against City Hall? With contract negations going on for 14mths and still no ratification I would think PW would have every right to rebel. The Savior and his 8 Dimwits saw fit to settle contracts with three other Unions,give the police in effect 16 extra days off, and cant come to an agreement with 21 guys? Sounds like The Saviour might be lining up a good ole Privatization. But HE said he would never do that!! Well as we have all seen he definitely talks out of the side of his mouth as well as his oversized ass.The mayor or the city giving Big Vince a bonus is expressly forbidden by the Union contract. But the Saviour would never do anything like the old administration!! Ha more of the good ole double talk.

As for the whereabouts of the CD, we should ask Jean Marie Hajer where that is, it seems she enjoys driving that vehicle as much as the Saviour does! Kinda strange don't ya think?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: countdemontecristo on October 29, 2006, 10:34:10 AM
QuoteMethinks this was done intentionally to send a message to the legions of patronage
people in PWD who got jobs thru the last admin, and are not being "cooperative"
with the mayor and his new appointees in public works...

Truly brilliant if this is the case...But brilliant and Berwyn are usually two words that
should never be mentioned in the same sentence..

I wonder if Matriano is still calling city hall asking the mayor for his missing Sinatra CD
that he left in his city vehicle that the mayor now drives

What would constitute not cooperating with the Mayor? Don't those guys go out and do the job asked of them? Is the Public Works Dept. rebelling against City Hall? With contract negations going on for 14mths and still no ratification I would think PW would have every right to rebel. The Savior and his 8 Dimwits saw fit to settle contracts with three other Unions,give the police in effect 16 extra days off, and cant come to an agreement with 21 guys? Sounds like The Saviour might be lining up a good ole Privatization. But HE said he would never do that!! Well as we have all seen he definitely talks out of the side of his mouth as well as his oversized ass.The mayor or the city giving Big Vince a bonus is expressly forbidden by the Union contract. But the Saviour would never do anything like the old administration!! Ha more of the good ole double talk.

As for the whereabouts of the CD, we should ask Jean Marie Hajer where that is, it seems she enjoys driving that vehicle as much as the Saviour does! Kinda strange don't ya think?

Outsourcing seems like it might be a reasonable topic to look at.  Have other towns done it?

Has the contract expired?   If so, is the city still bound by the contract?   If not, looks like they can give the bonus.

As far as the city truck the mayor drives, it belongs to the city...who cares what employee is driving it (as long as it is for city business)?

Berwyn Patsy:  I agree with you that we should not be required for FOIA all of those items.  Members of "the press" get a packet.  And when I asked in the clerk's office for a packet, I was told I wasn't allowed to have one.  I asked what policy determined who was allowed to have a packet and who wasn't and received a non-commital response.  Classic.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

As one of the public who attends the city council meetings, I wonder if suggesting a fee for a packet would be allowed if someone wanted one??
I understand that it costs the city money to have copies made.  I bet most of the audience that attends these meetings would be willing to pay a fee just so we could understand what is going on also.  This would then eliminate the questions and speculations afterwards.
Or do you think the less we know, the better we are attitude still prevails??

highbooker542

Brian ,

I believe the DPW contract ended Dec.31,2005. Sometimes during ongoing contract negotiations both sides will mutually agree on extending the contract until the next scheduled meeting. If this is the case then the contract is still alive. Bonuses are not allowed if that's what the contract says. I've have not heard of any municipalities outsourcing the entire public works department. Sometimes they will outsource maintaining streets lamps & traffic signals , tree trimming , sewer cleaning etc. I believe Berwyn already outsources the maintenance of street lamps & traffic lights. Personally I don't believe in outsourcing any part of the DPW. I think they do a good job.

Bear

Our city services from PWD are fantastic. I have had the privilege of meeting some of these people and I can assure you they go the extra distance to provide the best for us. Keep in mind these guys are on call 24/7 365...and will drop everything at a moments notice to repair
a water main break at 2 am on a January morning...

Privation of services may be a viable option in other areas of city government , but not here

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Count DMC

Dont forget when a municipality does privitize a service they are at the mercy of the company contracted to perform those services. If the performance drops or isnt up to par the municipality is stuck until renewal time. They also lose direct control over the workforce and cede that control to the company. Smaller municipalities can do it, one the size of Berywn probably not.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

I think those are all things you'd take into consideration. I still think you consider the question.  (and as an aside, I tend not to be in favor of outsourcing a lot of public sector jobs...I think the school janitorial staffs do a lot more than mop the floor...you lose that with an outside company)

So the question  regarding the bonus really becomes whether both sides agreed to extend the terms of the contract.

Cheers,
Brian

Bear

Word has it that the "bonus" was reimbursement for
education...Big difference between two little words,
why was the language wriiten such for council

Count DMC

I believe Bear has hit it on the head.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 29, 2006, 02:18:25 PM
As one of the public who attends the city council meetings, I wonder if suggesting a fee for a packet would be allowed if someone wanted one??
I understand that it costs the city money to have copies made.  I bet most of the audience that attends these meetings would be willing to pay a fee just so we could understand what is going on also.  This would then eliminate the questions and speculations afterwards.
Or do you think the less we know, the better we are attitude still prevails??

Patsy,

Don't we already pay a fee?  I consider taxes a fee.

The less the public knows, the better off some people are.  Yes, I think that attitude prevails.  Think about how much discussion/speculation occurs because none of the 75 people in the audience has any idea what they aldermen are voting upon?

I don't understand why the packet couldn't be posted as a PDF on the website.  Selected newspapers get to see the packet, why not the public?  As for the argument that not everything is submitted electronically, there are these things that have been invented called "scanners" which allows one to convert an image into a machine readable format.  Yes, it might take a little time, but certainly we could spare the 2 hours needed to scan information?  Or even require communications to be submitted electronically???

Yes, I am a radical  and a heretic.

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

Perhaps the new assistant clerk position can be staffed by someone with a little more technology savvy. 

#8's wet dream of having everything digital could come true.

cozynite

Scoon, maybe you could be #8's wet dream.  You're very tech savvy.   ;D
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

scoon

Quote from: CozyNite on October 30, 2006, 10:05:06 AM
Scoon, maybe you could be #8's wet dream.  You're very tech savvy.   ;D

And I look good in assless chaps!