News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Education Committee Meeting

Started by Terri, November 08, 2006, 11:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Alderman Ramos heads this committee along with Alderman Lovero and Skyrd (not present).  Attending was Dr. Nowkoski, a Morton finance director, Dr. Lucas, Joanne Zendol, Margaret Kelly, Mary Karasik.  Hopefully Pat can help me with the others, there was not an introduction.  
The topic discussed was an Intergovernmental Agreement between the City and School Districts (98, 100 and 201).  Its intention is to control overcrowding in the schools.  Dr. Nowkoski told us extensive checks were done at registration consisting of 4 documents per student, weeding out about 200 students.  Morton also checked some homes for residency.  Dr. Nowkowski said the most important thing the City can do about residency is to enforce the housing codes.  
Alderman Lovero explained the illegal home/apartment code and steps that are taken to remove them.  If found illegal the owner is taken to Local Ordinance Court, fined, the landlord removes tenant.  
The document will be sent to both the City and the S.D. Attorney's, a written intergovernmental agreement will then be presented to City Council.  
Question was raised if the schools could notify the City if they suspect an unusual number of students at a particular address.  Sent to Law Department.
I asked if they had looked into other Cities to see if a similar agreement was in place, they had not.  
This Committee seems to meet only when they need to discuss something.  
Pat and I were not aware of the agenda, otherwise we could have had the CARES residency research on hand.  
Pat, if I left anything out, please add.
Terri