News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Houses for Sale

Started by Boris, April 21, 2005, 08:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

...is it just my neighborhood? Or did "FOR SALE" signs just sprout like crazy all over the place?? I've looked at a few of the places that just went on the market this week (out of curiosity), and they seem to be priced kinda low, eg- 3 bdrm bungalow with finished basement and landscaped yard...really, just move in and decorate= $245. I saw 3 others under $250...one for $135!
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

java

I actually have had just the opposite sentiment.  Around the Depot District, there are now at least 5 houses priced in the 400's, one of them a jumbo bungalow at $499k.  Remains to be seen if they sell, of course, but the asking prices are interesting.
The City of Homers

kmcase

I agree, in the depot district houses are priced (and selling) for really high prices, especially compared to the prices of houses in this area when I moved there a few years ago.  One House on 34th Street was listed for $417, I believe, and was under contract within a couple of weeks.  That leads me to believe that it sold close to asking price. 

Another one on Clinton was listed in the upper 300s and was under contract rather quickly.

My brother-in-law is a realtor and he said Berwyn is one of the hot spots for younger people looking to buy. He says Berwyn is considered quite popular right now. 

Boris

Berwyn IS becoming very popular...I was at a wedding last week, and a bunch of the folks there were real estate brokers in the western subs (St. Charles, Geneva etc.). When it was learned that we just bought a house in Berwyn, we were all the buzz- with folks asking what it was like...that they heard such and such, and that they hadn't been to Berwyn in years, but that people in the biz were talking about Berwyn.

In my opinion, north Berwyn is the sleeper. there are now several homes within rock-throwing distance of Fitzgerald's that are all under $250, and all an easy walk to the Blue line. I noticed that Baird & Warner is listing north Berwyn homes under the header "Oak Park/Forest Park". The Depot District has some beautiful homes...but I think the boom is about to happen north of 16th street.

hvychev

QuoteAround the Depot District, there are now at least 5 houses priced in the 400's, one of them a jumbo bungalow at $499k. 

Java I noticed that listing on realtor.com the other day and thought it was a mistake. There is no picture or address on the listing. Can you give the address?

Hopefully North Berwyn DOES come up cause it IS a sleeper. The prices are still a little low around here compared to others. On another note, the two and three unit brick buildings are creeping up as well. Most 3 units are listed OVER 400K and believe it or not the two units are aproaching 370's-390's! :o At those numbers the cost out weighs the return on your investment if you are going to use them as rentals.

kmcase

Boris:  I think that's a great point and the proximity of some of North Berwyn's homes to the blue line will be a great selling point for those homes.  It is definitely going to be interesting watching all of the changes over the next year or so. 

java

The $499 listing is on the 30th block of Maple, west side of the street.  It is a beautiful bungalow with a very nice garage with what looks like a rec room above it.  If you pull the listing up on Tribune homes, you can click on 'map this home' and it will show you where it is, even though no address is listed.
The City of Homers

saluki

The Depot District prices are quite high now.   There's a home on the 3300 block of Home Avenue that closed for 180k in Feb. '04...they gut rehabbed the inside and the outside and now it's on the market for 449k!! 
It was as 'as is' property when it was sold.

I saw the 499k bungalow that was referenced too.  I even had my own home comped by our realtor and it came in at 370k (and we still need to rehab the outside but have totally done the inside).   Mine was also an 'as is' property when we closed in March '04.

Everyone is correct in that Berwyn is HOT.  The realtors are bringing the young couples and professionals that originally said "I want Oak Park" and quickly realize that even their incomes cannot afford O.P.

There's a great housing stock in North Berwyn and once folks are priced out of the Depot District (which many probably are now), the realtors will bring them to see these lovely homes.  It's inevitable that all of Berwyn will go the way of the Depot District in terms of prices...the proximity to the city, the new vitality and businesses that will open here are going to continue to drive prices up, up, up.

saluki

Hi Boris. Unfortunately the B&W links only go to their search criteria page, not to the actual listing :(

Boris

try this one...tell me if it work...because they all work for me, but I have a account with BW, so they must have a cookie set to recognize me as logged in...so, does this work?

http://www.bairdwarner.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?qspagcod=yes&show=no&listingNumber=1051752

saluki

Viola, it worked!  What beautiful woodwork and a very nice-sized yard.   This home is a steal!! 

saluki

One thing I did notice on the 1200 block OP Avenue bungalow listing that has to be incorrect...it states Morton East as the high school.  The listing agent definitely wants to change that.  My understanding is that Morton West is the H.S. for all of Berwyn residents.  Correct?

Boris

well, some of them seem to work, and others don't, though I don't know why. The number at the end of the URL is the ID. If you put that # in BW's Quick Lookup box (lower left on the home page) you'll get the listing.

Boris

marysol_21

This is good news. I am feeling that my home at 205k, in 2003 was a steal. We have invested in the interior by gutting the kitchen and installing new cabinets, granite countertops, and slate flooring since everything was original to the house. We also replaced every light fixture, bathroom fixtures, and refinished the floors. We still have much work to do but we are pleased with the results so far.

hvychev

Absolutely amazing...... :o

QuoteThe $499 listing is on the 30th block of Maple, west side of the street.  It is a beautiful bungalow with a very nice garage with what looks like a rec room above it.  If you pull the listing up on Tribune homes, you can click on 'map this home' and it will show you where it is, even though no address is listed.

In my opinion the blocks of Maple & Wisconson on 28th, 29th, & 30th have to be some of the best blocks in Berwyn. Please do not throw stones, I am VERY biased in the fact that I am such a HUGE fan of bungalows. ;D

I am very happy to see the values increasing. It is never bad to hear that you are making money! Here is where I am confused. Houses just keep going up and up. Take a professional couple with a dual income. Lets say that they are making $100-125K combined. The mortgage on $200K with taxes, insurance, and add utilities you are well over $2,000 for 30 years! That does not include car payments, credit cards, food, gas, spending money, and god forbid they have kids and lets even add that the kids are in day care!! Savings, you can forget about that, most can't even afford to think about it. :o How the hell are people doing it, especially if the houses are $250K, 300K, 350K!? In my profession I have the opportunity to look at peoples entire financial situation and you would not believe how these people live, they literally have to watch EVERY dollar. I see tons of people that live in Naperville, Downers Grove, etc. and make $75,000 and have a $3,000 mortgage and have huge empty houses with no furnature or window treatments because they can barely afford to make the house payment. When you see bungalows for $500K in Berwyn you have to start wonder when it is going to end. I know from experience that you can almost buy a Mansion in Plainfield that is a custom 5,000sq ft home for under $500K! ::)

pioneer

Is this just South Berwyn?

If so, will all of Berwyn eventually creep up into these type of price ranges due to market pressures?

Or will North Berwyn forever be the "bad" part of Berwyn?

My plan was to sell in about 4 years, however, if the area changes (higher cost of homes= higher taxes= less ignorant neighbors) then it would make no sense to move out.

Boris

$499K bungalow:

Meticulously Maintained Proska Park Jumbo Octagon Bungalow. Perfect Blend Of Old World Charm & Modern Conveniences. 3 Floors Of Living W/Bth On Each Floor. Enormous Living Rm.W/ Bay. Formal Din. Rm. Huge Eat-in Kitchen. Crown Moldings, Jacuzzi Bth, Leaded Windows, Sec. System, Tile Roof & More! 3-car Heated Garage W/Loft '04. Pre-approved Buyers Only.

3028 S MAPLE AVE
Berwyn, IL 60402
$499,900
5 Bedrooms  |   3 Baths

Style: 2 STORY; BUNGALOW
Levels: 2 STORY
County: COOK
Subdivision: PROKSA PARK
Year Built: 1925
Basement: FULL

Living Room Dimensions: 20X18
Dining Room Dimensions: 13X13