News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

BORAT

Started by Boris, November 13, 2006, 01:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

saw it at the Lake in OP yesterday: without a doubt, hands-down, absolutely the...THE. FUNNIEST. MOVIE. EVER. MADE.

...go see it.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

~LL~

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Matryoshka

Boris...what, are you 14 yrs old??? I saw it there too and thought it was goofy...perhaps I'm getting to be a fuddy-duddy in my old age but I thought it was just a bunch of toilet humor (which can be funny, in small doses) and plain old goofy nonsense...Sacha Cohen does very good impersonations but to made a whole, entire movie out of it?...c'mon, Puhleez!!!

Matryoshka

LL...am I just a Fuddy-Duddy?

Boris

'Rita= Fuddy-duddy.

:-*

Matryoshka

Boris

Quote from: 'Rita on November 13, 2006, 01:12:25 PM
Boris...what, are you 14 yrs old??? I saw it there too and thought it was goofy...perhaps I'm getting to be a fuddy-duddy in my old age but I thought it was just a bunch of toilet humor (which can be funny, in small doses) and plain old goofy nonsense...Sacha Cohen does very good impersonations but to made a whole, entire movie out of it?...c'mon, Puhleez!!!

Rita, you realize that practically none of the movie was scripted, and that the people he interviews and places he went are real?

Matryoshka

Indeed I do, and as I stated, I think it's funny but not worth making a movie out of...BTW, those guys from the bus scene are suing him -

~LL~

Quote from: 'Rita on November 13, 2006, 01:12:59 PM
LL...am I just a Fuddy-Duddy?

No way, 'Rita!  It was not the best humor I've ever seen on film -- but Cohen's impersonations just made me laugh and laugh and laugh -- and I needed to do just that in order to "fug-hetta-bout' the world for a while.  Humor therapy for the blues...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Matryoshka

Aww, u got da blues? Come tanning w/me...we need our light therapy...and then off to OoT for a beverage to make us 4get about our blues...

Boris

...the bus guys are suing hime, the Romanian town is sueing him, the rodeo-guy is trying, the humor coach is trying and so are "the feminists". I have to say that the premise is brilliant, and I can't believe that someone...say Monty Python hasn't done it in the past. But even if they had, Sacha Cohen's...um, gravitas have to be admired...I mean, c'mon: the fight scene was one of the most visually disturbing yet hysterical things I have ever witnessed...next to "speaking-in-tounges".

UPDATE: I just read that at two weeks old, it is poised to be the highest-grossing comedy of all time.

Matryoshka

Perhaps the o/s scene is a guy thing...it kinda grossed me out a bit. There have been other comedy shows in which they have unsuspecting "victims" such as Mad TV...remember the little fat boy?

Boris

...you're right, but the more I think about it, I can't stop laughing...like a jew-fearing, women-using, racist interviewing Alan Keyes!!??!! C'mon...that's genius!

Terri

Rita you don't seem to be unique in thinking Borat was toilet humor.  From what I hear, it seems to be a male driven movie.  Thanks to all this hoopla, I am a heartless mother who won't let her son see Borat.  Is it really a hard R rating?  

Terri

scoon

I haven't seen the movie yet (germs) but I've seen all the skits I could find on the internet.  (Good collection here:  http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1101)

I find it absolutely fascinating how he can disarm people and get them to say things they normally wouldn't and at the same time make them uncomfortable.

They assume that he's ignorant, but he's playing them like a fiddle.

Terri, maybe your son should see it so he knows how Not to act.

Matryoshka

No...not that bad but it just takes more to make me laugh I guess...the one scene in question is where Borat and the assistant guy, fighting nude, in their hotel room fall on top of each other in a, how shall I say... position soixante-neuf

Boris

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/11/borat_meets_the_1.html

Borat goes on the campaign trail with a Republican in Mississippi.

Boris

Quote from: scoon on November 13, 2006, 01:42:22 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet (germs) but I've seen all the skits I could find on the internet.  (Good collection here:  http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1101)

I find it absolutely fascinating how he can disarm people and get them to say things they normally wouldn't and at the same time make them uncomfortable.

They assume that he's ignorant, but he's playing them like a fiddle.

EXACTLY. Except, what really happens is that they say things that they normally wouldn't say to strangers. He goes after extremists, and pretends to be a bumbling foreigner who is on their side, and gets them to open up on camera, for example. The movie is funny as all hell, but it is also a very candid look into the bowels of American culture. Cohen is genius.

Boris

as it's about to be released on DVD...I just wanted to reiterate: THE. FUNNIEST. MOVIE. EVER. MADE.

Ana

all I can say is YUCK.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby