News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

11/14/06 Council Meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, November 15, 2006, 01:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: Mike Phelan on November 15, 2006, 11:08:14 PM
There are other upstanding individuals who also witnessed what I believe is VERY disturbing and unprofessional behavior.  A full investigation will be done in a timely matter.  I have always been honest with everyone on here.

Garbage.

If it's that bad, divulge.  If it's so secretive you cannot divulge, I'd doubt your involvement is necessary, much less any leakage in public.  Honesty, please.

What matters to me are results.
And for everything I've requested from her, I've gotten timely results - more so than anything from an alderman.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Count DMC

Mike, quick question if you will indulge me. Why were the names blocked out with black marker in the police report?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

Maybe the cell phone isn't owned  by the city.

In anycase, this is a complete waste of  a lot of people's time and  energy.

Spend some time:

• Cleaning up the alleys of garbage
  • Addressing blight in a systematic, rational way.  Prioritize.
  • Addressing overcrowding
  • Updating our ordinances
  • Acting in a manner which won't scare off businesses
  • Encourage your residents to participate in Neighborhood Watch
  • Fix sidewalks that need fixing
  • Develop a sane, functional parking strategy
  • Address business signage throughout town
  • Develop, adopt and follow a citywide plan

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Names are blacked out in police reports in order to protect the identy of witnesses.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

renovatorbear

Quote from: OakParkSpartan

Spend some time:

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Right-on, brother.

Mike Phelan

Quote from: Count DMC on November 16, 2006, 11:50:34 AM
Mike, quick question if you will indulge me. Why were the names blocked out with black marker in the police report?

Count,

The city clerk was the one who blocked out all of the information.  I don't understand why myself.  It is a police report that is public knowledge.

Mike Phelan

hounddog

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on November 16, 2006, 12:50:54 PM

Spend some time:

Oh, and support businesses that make the neighbors happy, not pissed off. 

Bear

Quote from: Count DMC on November 15, 2006, 07:41:00 PM
QuoteI am the one who asked the finance department to turn over the records of her cell phone, not alderman Erickson.  It is regarding an incident I believe none of you are aware of and has nothing to do with the remodeling of city hall.

Could that be the time that you and another alderwoman and another former employee were caught in the parking lot of Jack's spying on the City Hall remod  after hours? Or is that something else?

Well Count..you must be privy to certain information, there are very few people who know of the Jack's parking lot incident...I have seemed to miss something here in this thread, was a police report posted here, and then removed?

If only we had more uplifting issues to discuss...Berwyn as a whole grows tired of the ineptitude
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Paul Fuentes

Quote from: Mike Phelan on November 16, 2006, 04:19:07 PM
Quote from: Count DMC on November 16, 2006, 11:50:34 AM

Count,

The city clerk was the one who blocked out all of the information.  I don't understand why myself.  It is a police report that is public knowledge.

Mike Phelan

The fact that a police report "exists" might be a matter of public knowledge, but does does not mean the public has a legal right to it.  No lay person has access to police reports, except for perhaps some minor unofficial report available in a court file. 

Supreme Court rules prohibit even the accused of having access to police reports.  As a defense attorney, I can review reports with my clients, but never hand the copies, nor provide access to those reports to any other individual.

Thus, if the names are blacked out, they are only showing you what they can legally show you, and they are probably prohibited from disseminating it.

Learned Hand   

Paul Fuentes

The above being said, it still seems an issue "you all" should dispute and discuss outside the city council floor.  One of you has to know how to administer a good old country ass whooping. 

Reserve the floor for something like, I don't know, howsabout some real effecient (aggressive) enforcement of the building code in those apartment buildings in north Berwyn.  Some even in Phelan's ward.  I am no BOCA expert, but I have done construction since age 18, and know when the supports on stairways are not sufficient to meet code, when headers or ledgers are not done right, or when an electrical circuit is overtaxed and at risk of causing a fire. 

I walked through some of those buildings when working the campaign(s) and could have issued hundreds of citations if I had the authority.  Then fine the SOB slumlords per day until the violations are corrected.  Then inspect them again and start the process all over again, only with bigger fines and injunctive relief. 

Daley has used that plan to get rid of his scum.  It is LEGAL and has been upheld by the Supreme Court.....i.e. any municipality has the right to enforce its building code, irrelevant of who gets displaced. 

Problem is, they (the scum) just packed their shit and moved over here.

Now THAT should be on the city council agenda.

Mara S. Georges,
Corporation Counsel-City of Chicago

Berwyn Patsy

I am in total agreement Mara, but if that came to fruition, people would have to be accountable, and favors would have to be stopped.  Do you really think that would be accepted ?  After all isn't that just the way politics work?  I have been told that 1 million times.
I would say, the same, enforce heavy fines get rid of the scum !!
This reminds me, of the now closed beauty shop on Windsor the one near Over the Rainbow.  I was in the shop about 1 month ago, the ceiling was falling ,open wires hanging very unsafe looking.  The business owner mentioned how she had been after the landlord but had no success.  Could this be the reason we can't keep those store fronts in business?
I love Over the Rainbow, and frequent the store weekly even now, but is it only me,, or does anyone else smell a sewer, damp musty odor when walking in. How can businesses thrive in slum like conditions?? Just my opinion.
BTW Over the rainbow is serving some good soups and pastries for the winter.

Count DMC

Fuentes, yet again a breath of fresh air to a stale thread. Enlightening ! I know the legal reason why the names are blocked my questioning was a bit more facetious. It is with wonder and amazement that I sit by and watch the petty squabbling of these elected officials every two weeks air their dirty laundry. The meetings have become nothing more than a way for some to try to find the next Hester Prinn, to distract the hooples from any of the  real issues that are not being addressed. Clintonesque you might say.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

scoon

Quote from: Bear on November 16, 2006, 08:56:08 PM
If only we had more uplifting issues to discuss...Berwyn as a whole grows tired of the ineptitude

Lord knows we are...  the number of Scoon-iversaries drops as each stake gets pulled up.

And we're not the only ones.