News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Favorite Tough Guy Film

Started by Bru67, November 26, 2006, 10:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bru67

In honor of the Bojovic brothers, let's pick our favorite tough guy film.  Mine....

Vision Quest (1985).  The film just had it all.  A pre-Full Metal Jacket Matthew Modine pitch perfect as the likable underdog, the beautiful Linda Fiorentino, and, of course, the antagonist, Brian Shoote -- who was so damn tough that his father had to keep him chained up to prevent him from having sexual relations with the fireplace in the family's suburban home. 

4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Paul Fuentes

Charles Bronson-Any Film.

Tommy Lee Jones-Black Moon Rising.

Nicholas Cage and John Malkovich-Con Air (yes this is reaching, but totally entertaining).

Arnold Schwarznegger-Commando

These are just a few.  Let me think about this more.  But to me the the "tough guy" has always been not the guy than can land a sucker punch, but the one who can take a beating and still keeps coming at you.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bru67

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on November 26, 2006, 10:47:13 PM
Charles Bronson-Any Film.

Tommy Lee Jones-Black Moon Rising.

Nicholas Cage and John Malkovich-Con Air (yes this is reaching, but totally entertaining).

Arnold Schwarznegger-Commando

These are just a few.  Let me think about this more.  But to me the the "tough guy" has always been not the guy than can land a sucker punch, but the one who can take a beating and still keeps coming at you.

If your definition is the criteria, we definitely need to add Michael Myers (aka The Shape) from the Halloween movies.  That guy took one hell of a beating.  He was burned, drowned, shot, stabbed, and given crappy reviews by the critics but just kept right on coming -- for 8 films, with #9 in production (well, 7 actually -- Halloween 3 was about some implausable Halloween masks).  He could have had a great career as an NFL linebacker had he not needed to carry on the grudge against his sister.  If he's not doing Halloween X, maybe he'll consider running for Mayor?

I agree 100% on the others.  Malkovich also had a pretty scary turn in "In the Line of Fire."  He's a great tough guy.  

Paul Fuentes

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Michael Corleone - anyone who would kill his own brother is such a cold blooded fashion is one tough MFer

Berwyn Patsy

Come on now guys, how could you not think about Sean Connery in "Goldfinger"!!  It was James Bond week-end on T.V., but ya all were probably watching football or something sporty
Ah yes, James Bond, tough guy, intriguing , good moves and sexy!!

Guy_on_Clinton

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

scoon

Indiana Jones. 

<breathless>  Remember, umm...  when there was the guy with the swords and he ummm... took out his gun and shot him?  That was awesome.

Chris Farley

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Bronx Tale.

Poor sap gets whacked over a traffic incident, in the middle of the street, in broad daylight.

Or maybe the scene in the biker bar.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 27, 2006, 06:39:30 AM
ya all were probably watching football or something sporty
Ah yes, James Bond, tough guy, intriguing , good moves and sexy!!

Hell, yes!  22 tough, sexy men with good moves, live!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Paul Fuentes

Quote from: Bru67 on November 26, 2006, 11:00:52 PM
If your definition is the criteria, we definitely need to add Michael Myers (aka The Shape) from the Halloween movies.  That guy took one hell of a beating.  He was burned, drowned, shot, stabbed, and given crappy reviews by the critics but just kept right on coming -- for 8 films, with #9 in production (well, 7 actually -- Halloween 3 was about some implausable Halloween masks).  He could have had a great career as an NFL linebacker had he not needed to carry on the grudge against his sister.  If he's not doing Halloween X, maybe he'll consider running for Mayor?

Dude,

Dudes with "supernatural" powers are not part of the universe we can pick from.  Otherwise I'd just pick Hulk, Spiderman, or Superman. 

And as far as Michael Meyers running for mayor.  If he gets rid of some of the scum element, I'd vote, campaign, and steal and syphon votes for him.

Nuff said

mustang54

Antonio Montana, its got to be him his picture is the most popular on the walls in the malls!
And Pacino again as Ted said Michael Corleone.

markberwyn

Ben Kingsley in "Sexy Beast." Easy.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

one eye open

Quote from: markberwyn on November 27, 2006, 11:00:10 PM
Ben Kingsley in "Sexy Beast." Easy.
Excellent choice also one of my favorites !

Another favorite tough guy is Robert Loggia as Mr. Eddy in "Lost Highway".
Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.
~Dwight D. Eisenhower

bohemian

Frank Marzullo staring in -"A night out at The Golden Steer"
Du Hast Mich!

Beans

Boris

Having just watched all 20 James Bond movies back to back, in order...
...I have yet to form an opinion...

...but Han Solo is definitely in the running.

"I ain't in this for you or your rebellion, sister. I'm in it for the money."
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller