News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Pardon the Dirt - Stained Glass Window Project

Started by Robert Pauly, June 16, 2005, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

Sorry for the crummy photos - it's my first shot uploading pics to a bulletin board.

Anyhow, here's what I've been doing this spring.  Our house has 7 stained glass windows in front, and sometime during the 60's - to make the house look more modern and sleek - the PO painted them white and removed the trim from around them.  Because of the magnitude of a refinishing task, I resigned myself into accepting them, until .....

..... my two toddlers were found to have elevated lead levels in their blood.  Nothing big, but an alert condition, nonetheless.  The culprit: my windows.  The solution: replace, or strip and refinish.  Hence, the project, and here's how it turned out, prior to the final cleaning and dusting.

Before:

After:

I've got some issues with the sills (the ends were cut short when the trim was removed), but I was pretty happy with the overall results of the job.  I trimmed it in birch, which matched the stripped wood perfectly.  Hours involved in the project - maybe 80.  Next project is the crown moulding and door trim, but that's after the attic, back stairs, main bathroom .........

Ana

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

OakParkSpartan

Did you find a good source for millwork?  I need about 18 ft of a piece that tops the baseboard, and really don't want to spend several hundred dollars to get a knife made etc.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Robert Pauly

I went to Owl Lumber - on Southwest Highway (near 95th), just a little east of Cicero.  They specialize in interior lumber, and have quite a selection of birch, maple, oak, etc.  I'd definately say it's a trip worth taking.

hvychev

Absolutely stunning Melliman!!! WOW! :o

Compared to what I am doing the 80 hours that you spent don't sound to bad! What process did you use to stain and Schellac them?

Robert Pauly

Staining and varnishing them was the easy part - stripping them - especially the outer layers of leaded paint - was what was tough.  But to answer your question, I used a Minwax stain/sealer (one coat got me to the color I was looking for), and then I varnished with a semi-gloss Minwax polyurethane.  The color is a little bit redder than original, yet I have original doors in the house that are real red.

Suedehead