News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

1/2/2007 Budget Committee Meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, January 03, 2007, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

I hope Cari from the life writes a nice, long article about this meeting. It really solidified a couple of things for me.

The topic of the meeting was the payment to Bruce Bonebreak, our City Attorney (per the Mayor).

Elected officials  in attendence were   (starting at the head of the table)  Ald. Chapman, City Clerk Tom Pavlik, Ald. Weiner, City Attorney Mark Sterk (per city council and ordinance),  Ald. Lovero, Mayor O'Connor, City Attorney (per the mayor)/City Administrator/Mayoral Assistant Bonebreak and  Ald. Phelen

The meeting started with the aldermen all agreeing that Mr. Bonebreak deserved to get paid for the work he has performed, and they were all in agreement that the work was of excellent quality.  In short, I think they like the guy.

The question then became from which account to pay him.  The bill listed him as consultant, but the question arose as to why he was being  paid out of the  city attorney fund, when he was a consultant (as stated by the mayor).  Lots of bickering.

Mr. Sterk suggested transferring money, and paying him out of the Assistant to the Mayor line item.  The aldermen agreed to it.  They asked the mayor to submit a communication  basically stating that Mr. Bonebreak was filling in for Scott Wauguespack who is running for alderman in the 32nd ward of Chicago  (a bit more on this later).   Well, surprise, surprise...the Mayor ain't going to do that.

The end result was they delayed payment again.  I feel bad for Bruce, a seemingly competent, intelligent guy.

Here's what I don't get. The aldermen want to pay the guy.  They ask for a communication simply stating that he is filling a position, which is an accurate reflection of his day to day duties. They'd then approve things.  But the mayor digs in his heels.  I don't get it.  At this point, it  is not about seeing the guy get paid, or the citizens of Berwyn having an understanding of what this consultant is actually doing...but rather it is a power struggle between the mayor and the aldermen.  That's not good for the city. 

The body languages in this meeting were very interesting.  Ald. Lovero sat most of the meeting with his back mostly towards the mayor.   The mayor sat with his arms tighly clenched across  his chest, with a very unhappy look upon his face.  Ald. Chapman sat with her hands folded on the table facing the Mayor.  My description doesn't do justice.

This was a  pissing  match for no good reason.  The clerk  asked the very simple question "To whom  should legal questions  be addressed".  That wasn't answered.

The mayor also stated an  employee was not  on a leave of  absence but was taking  vacation  and sick days.   Ald. Phelen  caught that right away and  asked why someone was taking sick  days if they were not sick?

It is  unclear whether Scott will or will not take a leave of  absence...leaving  most in the room puzzled as to how he could have enough vacation  (I like Scott, and  I think he does a good job, but his boss left him flapping in  the wind this evening).

The   question was also asked as to what will happen if/when Scott returns after the late February election...would Mr. Bonebreak's contract end.  The Mayor made a non-commital remark which to my ear sounded  as though he might keep both of them on.

All in all, a meeting  which was a real eye-opener  and  shock to me (and  I've  attended  just about  every council  meeting  in the last 18  months).   I  sense a real lack  of leadership in  this town  (but not lack  of desire for  power).   That  scares  me.

Although  I know there are very, very few politicians who  are  altruistic,  I think there ARE politicians who desire people to do what they want,  and  understand how to  work with people to get those people to do what they want without  pissing  everyone off. I think that is a leader...someone who can persuade or inspire others to share their vision, thereby achieving their goals.  I did not see that tonight.  Instead, I saw the raw desire for power,  and I find that very, very disappointing.

Cheers,
Brian

PS.  Happy New  Year!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scoon

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Brian.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Mayor is his own worst enemy and one of the worst politicians I've ever seen in action.  He was smart enough to see a chink in the BRDO armour and ran for mayor and got himself elected.  But that was Only when Shaugnhessy wasn't going to run again.  He could never beat him one on one.  And even then, people didn't vote for him, they voted against the BRDO and he doesn't understand that.

He walked in there thinking that he had a mandate and clearly didn't understand that ANY form of patronage would come under scrutiny, and that scrutiny has shown that he's made some bad choices in that area.  For crying out loud, his hand picked assistant, a position he said was unnecessary in his campaign, is now apparently using sick days to run for a Chicago Aldermanic seat!  (In the real world it's frowned upon to use sick days as vacation.)

The sheer arrogance is astounding, and it doesn't surprise me that his biggest supporters share and embrace his arrogance.  We all know who and what I speak of. 

He's botched any chance of re-election at this point with his "my way or the highway" attitude.  A good politician would have recognized that the respect of the people would have given him true political power, not a title.  He's wielding his title in inexplicable ways now and it only leads me to believe that he's in over his head.

The alderman gave him a gift and he looked the gift horse in the mouth.

NEXT!

OakParkSpartan

I think you are taking the assistant and sick days a little further than what was said. Those days only applied to the period between Dec. 8 and EOY.  That's only like 13 or so work days...My point was more about OC tossing his employee to the wolves.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

cozynite

Mr. Bonebreak.  Is that his Italian or Irish surname?   ;D
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

Berwyn Patsy

'It's been said many times, many ways", it always comes out the same.  He is his own worst enemy, and really does not care what others may think. Kinda sad.

pkd50

Maybe the IVB  supporters can adopt a new slogan......  "Be careful what you wish for"

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on January 03, 2007, 06:42:51 PM
Maybe the IVB  supporters can adopt a new slogan......  "Be careful what you wish for"

pkd,  I did get what I wished for -

1) Frank Marzullo is gone, the gestapo unit in the police department is gone and we have a more professional police department with a chief of police who is knowledgeable about gangs;

2) We finally have all the city's books audited and know where the city stands financially; People can now safely estimate budgets and future expenses without feeling around in the dark.

3) And, we have a democracy (however messy it sometimes gets) in the city council rather than 8 mummies voting yes because that's the way they were told to vote. 

Also, we now have a two party system in Berwyn where there will be a battle of ideas in future elections. I often felt that one of the reasons Berwyn stagnated in the 1990s was because we had a single party rule for so long.  Having two political parties that are vibrant is best for Berwyn in the long run.

So, as an IVB member, I did get what I wished for when I voted in the April, 2005 election.

All the things I was wishing for (except for a city manager form of government) have come true.

Ted

pkd50

Touche!    I like you, because you make so much sense.

Bonster

Quote from: Ted Korbos on January 03, 2007, 07:05:03 PM
3) And, we have a democracy (however messy it sometimes gets) in the city council rather than 8 mummies voting yes because that's the way they were told to vote. 

All the things I was wishing for (except for a city manager form of government) have come true.

Democracy?  In a democracy people vote based on what the citizens/lobbyists want (some say by their "conscience").  In this so-called democracy nothing gets voted for due to agenda.  How is nothing better than something (8 puppets)?

I think a strong leader with puppets would fare much better NOW, due to the changes you validated in points 1 and 2.

Also, I should add it appears AirNixon was right in that his coup d'tat method is likely the only method we'll ever change form of government by here. 
It will NEVER be approved by voters in a referendum because it would never make it that far.

Shelley

I'm most happy about having a choice and I, too, think that a real 2 party system in Berwyn will keep both parties (maybe all 3 if the republicans can organize) strong.  My fear is that the parties are only as good as their leaders.  There are good, honest people with the IVB, democrats, and republicans.  I'm just not sure I trust any of the leaders. Who do I vote for in '09 and will I have any other choice than O'Connor, Lovero, and Castro??  Maybe this idea of a BerwynBulletinBoard (The BBB) Party is not so crazy???  No meetings.  All business conducted here with votes by the poll feature.  Now that is transparency.

Ted, good post.

Bonster

Quote from: Shelley on January 03, 2007, 08:14:45 PM

Maybe this idea of a BerwynBulletinBoard (The BBB) Party is not so crazy??? 

Shelley, YOU should be running.

OakParkSpartan

Shelley,

The topic of alternatives has come up with many folks I've spoken with.  Unfortunately, given that the mayor's job  is full time, and  pays relatively little, most folks aren't willing to sacrifice to sit up there.  I really think with a city manager and part time mayor, we'd attract some good, forward thinking candidates.

Cheers,
Brian

Bonster

In other words, it's doom and gloom.  (Ain't no way the IVB is gonna pass a new form of gov't.) 

Bojo in '09!
;D

Shelley

Quote from: Bonster on January 03, 2007, 09:03:47 PM
Quote from: Shelley on January 03, 2007, 08:14:45 PM

Maybe this idea of a BerwynBulletinBoard (The BBB) Party is not so crazy??? 

Shelley, YOU should be running.

See Oak Park Spartan's post.  You couldn't pay me enough!!  Plus, my focus is on improving the reality and perception of the public schools in Berwyn.  When Berwyn can boast "good schools" in real estate ads, we'll be able to attract (and maintain) the demographics that developers and businesses desire.  It won't matter who sits in the mayor's seat. 

Bonster

I agree to a point.  The schools are just part of the equation of  (development + schools + law/blight enforcement), which have, in the past, been directly affected by how this city was run.

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on January 03, 2007, 07:20:59 PM
Touche!    I like you, because you make so much sense.

Pat, Good luck on the move.  I am going to miss you.  Looks like you are no longer the lone Berwyn Democrat on the board.  In fact, I think us IVBers have become out numbered.  <LOL>

My cousin built a coach house for his mom when he built a house in Florida and she loves it.  She lives by herself, but is still close to her son.  Plus, she loves the fact that the coach house is all single level... no stairs to climb.

SO, good luck and God Bless.  We will all miss you.

Ted

Ted

Quote from: Bonster on January 03, 2007, 07:36:35 PM

Democracy?  In a democracy people vote based on what the citizens/lobbyists want (some say by their "conscience").  In this so-called democracy nothing gets voted for due to agenda.  How is nothing better than something (8 puppets)?

I think a strong leader with puppets would fare much better NOW, due to the changes you validated in points 1 and 2.

Also, I should add it appears AirNixon was right in that his coup d'tat method is likely the only method we'll ever change form of government by here. 
It will NEVER be approved by voters in a referendum because it would never make it that far.

I disagree.  I would prefer the messiness of democracy and having 8 people on the city council who think independently rather than a strong leader with puppets - no matter WHAT the time period or circumstances.

Look at Berwyn in the 1990s - we had single party rule where the  head of the party also controlled the police department and who used the police department to harass his political foes - that is the definition of a totalitarian government, not a democracy.  Democracy may be messy but its better than a totalitarian government.

As for changing the form of government, that does not need city council approval. The electorate can change the form of government through the referendum process - get a petition signed by 5% of the registered voters in Berwyn (around 1200 signatures) and you could put a binding referendum on the ballot to change the form of government. There is no need to get city council approval.

Ted

pkd50

Thanks Ted.   I'll be around for a while yet.  I'll also be on one level, and  close to the grandkids.  It's all good, but it will still be hard to leave.   Just don't want to leave the impression that it's an escape.  I have nothing bad to say about Berwyn.  I'm not leaving for any reason other than I need to downsize and have a wonderful opportunity to do so now.

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Pat,

You don't have to explain yourself at all.

I feel very confident in saying that you and your family gave a hell of a lot more to Berwyn than you ever received. Truly one of the families that made Berwyn a great place to live and grow up in. First class all the way. You will be missed.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted