News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Radon Gas in Basements

Started by Cogito, February 21, 2007, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogito

I was curious if any of you have ever checked out your basements or "garden" apartments for radon gas? It's the second biggest cause of lung cancer in the US. There are new types of detectors available that provide continuous monitoring of the air quality.

http://www.gasniffer.com/products.htm
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

bahas

we had our basement tested prior to purchasing 3 years ago (on the realtors recommendation).  we have a 109 yr old victorian. the inspector said it was extremely rare in our area to find radon leakage (has to do with the type of bedrock we are on... or something like that) but did the test anyway.  came back negative.

berwynson

Radon is definitely bad stuff! For the general information of all: campers who use lanterns containing the little cloth "mantles" should be aware that radon is emitted by these mantles when in operation, building up to significant amounts when confined in a tent or small room. This holds for whatever type of fuel is used- propane, gasoline, or "Coleman fuel".   Berwynson

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

We tested our (at the time 90 year American 4-square) about 10 years ago and the levels were very low (under any type of level that was considered to pose a health threat).  By the way I picked up the kit at the county courthouse in Maywood and it was free (a Cook county service) and we might have paid a very small fee to send it in and have it analyzed.  I'm not sure it this service is still offered but if it is I'd recommend it.  It was great.
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.