LONG-TIME RESIDENTS- HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE.....................

Started by berwynson, March 09, 2007, 08:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

In the block where Dressels Bakery was, same block as Pancner's Stationery, in Cicero, there was a hair-cutting salon which was one of the first around to do mens' haircuts, staffed by young women.

I think about 1968 it was taken over by a girl from Europe, she spoke good English, and called it Susanne's. I actually got my hair cut there after quitting Joe Bilek and "Dirty" George on Highland Ave.

Anybody remember Susanne's, or have any info about it?  Thanks!  Berwynson

Terri

You need to purchase the book written by Doug Deuchler titled Berwyn, from the Images of America series published by Arcadia Press.  You can order a copy from Amazon or call Lori at Serendipity Antiques on Windsor and she can send you a copy. 

Terri

apatriot

Yes, good book for an old time Berwynite to have.

Look here:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Product_Code=0738533971&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Here's one on Riverview:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0738533076/laureackeryou-20

And here's one on Lyons, that markberwyn of our forum is the author:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Product_Code=0738540404&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

They offer these books on Brookfield, Oak Park, the Italians, Greeks, Chinatown, Pilsen just about any area you are interested in.

Check it out.

bohemian

Patriot had me excited for a moment.....no book on Pilsen yet!

Berwynson, check out the book on Cicero as well.  Great story and the images are wonderful! :)
Du Hast Mich!

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

bohemian

A lot of History in Pilsen Bon.  Many a Bohemian passed through there.
Du Hast Mich!

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

DFlynn

Hi Everyone...

I need some information or a person to go to for historical information on the house at 6849 Riverside Drive.  The big greystone on the corner of Kenilworth and Riverside Drive.

I know who the owners are and were... but was looking for some more human stuff.

I am also trying to find out if the Winkler's that built the house are the stone/masonry people that are known as E.M. Winkler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrin
Darrin Flynn
Baird & Warner Real Estate
Office:  708-697-5937
Cell:  773-951-9613
darrin.flynn@bairdwarner.com

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: DFlynn on August 23, 2007, 04:49:49 PM
Hi Everyone...

I need some information or a person to go to for historical information on the house at 6849 Riverside Drive.  The big greystone on the corner of Kenilworth and Riverside Drive.

I know who the owners are and were... but was looking for some more human stuff.

I am also trying to find out if the Winkler's that built the house are the stone/masonry people that are known as E.M. Winkler.

Darrin

Not sure if the Berwyn Historical Society could help you or not.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

DFlynn

I have left a couple of messages with the Historical Society but they arent open again until Saturday.  Also hit the library and Google but no luck there.  Planning on going to Recorder of Deeds in Chicago to see if I can get lucky and maybe see part of an abstract or something... they were usually like mini-novels about the people involved in the transactions.

Thanks
Darrin Flynn
Baird & Warner Real Estate
Office:  708-697-5937
Cell:  773-951-9613
darrin.flynn@bairdwarner.com

apatriot

Marcy

Quote from: DFlynn on August 23, 2007, 04:49:49 PM

Darrin

In the 2000's, I'd often drive past that house knowing it was vacant, but I never saw it up for sale. I just LOVED it.

In 2008, it was purchased. Public info states it is 2 story, single family residence of almost 3000 sqft. built about 1925-7 with 5 beds and 3.5 baths. Although the house is quarry stone, the 2-car Garage is regular brick; both buildings have original tile roof (green). Rumors said it had a lot of damage inside.

The new owners have fixed it up; they show great style in their outside holiday decorations. I hope one day that house is open for an architectural tour. Every time I drive by, my heart sighs.
Marcy

See Article: http://m.mysuburbanlife.com/2008/06/25/berwyn-man-takes-reins-of-abandoned-bungalow/zt61v4w/

berwynson

Ma'am, you are indeed a romantic, after all! I know of that particular house. If I can dig up an image of one built by my dad's uncle, on East Avenue and I think 19th St., you might swoon. White brick, corner lot, oversized, massive bungalow construction, front windows "bumped out", a castle of Berwyn!
berwynson

berwyn senator

Going back to the 60's that home always looked abandon,grass was cut snow shoved but never a sign of life.Rumor an old women lived in the home never saw her. I might be wrong but didn't the owners of the old Troy Store live directly across Riverside Drive?

berwyn senator

What is interesting never were there foreclosures in Berwyn or Cicero years ago,not like today! When people bought a home they did everything possible keep it.They never bought something they could not pay for, homes were paid off as soon as possible, there was much pride in home ownership.

berwyn senator

Every home in Berwyn has a history,if one had the time to do the research would make for an interesting read. Owner of a camera shop found dead in her Riverside Dr. home never solved haunts old camera shop building. Haunted house on 34Th.St. owners wife found hung in basement. Son kept mother in their home for years after her death never solved.Spouse and boy friend murdered in home never solved.I am sure there are many more that many are aware of these occurred years ago.

moose

I remember as a kid, talking to one of the older neighbors on the block that grew up in Berwyn, and she used to tell us that our house was one of the first ones on the block.

When my parents bought our house, the lot to the south was vacant, but my parents couldn't afford the $3,000 asking price, so someone else bought it and built a 2 flat.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

berwyn senator

When my parents moved to Berwyn there were many vacant lots, they were lucky to afford the house they bought cost $4500.00. Many of the homes were built with vacant lots, which were later built on because the contractors needed the money some went bankrupt.Lots were sold to other contractors and individuals.The intent of the contractor where I live was to have double lots for each home built.During the 20's he went bankrupt leaving many homes unfinished later another contractor bought the property and built homes on the lots, finishing the existing homes.my home has quite a history, another day I will go into.

moose

At one time, my dad researched our property, he listed all of the previous owners. When I sold the house, I left all of that for the new owners to enjoy.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

berwyn senator

My present home came with a list of previous owners, there were only three.The contractor that went broke, the second owner a criminal and third a business man from Cermak Rd. The most colorfull of the three was the criminal! When I purchased my home the title company was able to provide the name of passed owners and price paid for the homes a very time consuming project years back.