News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Fences anyone??

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, June 09, 2005, 03:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

Along with my window issues.... I'd also like a new fence in the back and in the front. Any referals?

Also... what the max height that i can have the front & back fences? permits? neighboor waivers?

thanks in advance.... ;)
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

saluki

If you're on a corner lot, the maximum height on both the side and back fence is 6ft.  All other lots, what I was told last year at City Hall, can only go as high as 5 ft on the side and 6ft on the alley.  I wish they'd change the ordinance so that folks who live in the middle of the block could have 6 ft high fences on the sides (as I have a problem neighbor who neglects his lawn and has an annoying dog who he lets bark non-stop). 

Bonster

I always thought this was a clever way to get around the fence height and gain a bit of privacy...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

Quote from: saluki on June 09, 2005, 04:15:25 PM
If you're on a corner lot, the maximum height on both the side and back fence is 6ft.  All other lots, what I was told last year at City Hall, can only go as high as 5 ft on the side and 6ft on the alley.  I wish they'd change the ordinance so that folks who live in the middle of the block could have 6 ft high fences on the sides (as I have a problem neighbor who neglects his lawn and has an annoying dog who he lets bark non-stop). 

The ordinance on fence height can be overridden on a case-by-case basis with city council approval but there has to be some extentuating circumstance (e.g. the next door neighbor has a giant dog that can jump over the fence.)

Sandy

Of course, as your 5' or 6' fence will prevent anyone seeing into your yard, it will also provide excellent cover for theives.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Bonster

Quote from: Sandy on April 15, 2007, 07:24:14 PM
Of course, as your 5' or 6' fence will prevent anyone seeing into your yard, it will also provide excellent cover for theives.

...and make it harder for them to enter.  That's where an alarm and/or large canine supplement your cause.  As much as we watch out for each other, I don't make a habit of staring at my neighbor's yard for more than a few minutes per day.

The corner lot I saw with the tall shrubs had nothing by the entry, which as you can see was standard four foot, so all movement in and out is seen.  Also, there are none on the other side by their neighbors, who would be the ones watching and calling the cops. 

Considering all, I've actually thought about tearing my fence down (between our homes). 

Bear

A buddy of mine just switched homeowners and got a huge discount
for just having a dog. Made a lot of sense.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Count DMC

Quote from: Sandy on April 15, 2007, 07:24:14 PM

Right, not like the broad daylight stops them otherwise? And what is Mexi-czech? Is that a new party mix offering from Chex Mix?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

rbain

Just to spin this waaay off topic...
In San Francisco I actually did live around the corner from a place called "CzechMex"!
The owners were a Czech father and son, and they started out with a bar/rest. next door called "Frankies Bohemian Cafe", pretty hip with 24oz. beer glasses. They then opened the Mexican place nextdoor, and had the same cook in both places- if you ordered a burger at Frankies, Frankie would walk next door to get the cook to come cook your burger.
They were later threatened with a lawsuit by Chevy's because the CzechMex ads spoofed Chevy's "FreshMex" ad campaign so they changed the name to the much less fun "Divisadero Ale House".
-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Sandy

Count - do you have no sense of the silly? It's just a way of saying: Made in America with Bohemian and Mexican parts.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Count DMC

Quote from: Sandy on April 16, 2007, 05:28:31 PM
Count - do you have no sense of the silly? It's just a way of saying: Made in America with Bohemian and Mexican parts.

Yeah, I have come across a lot of mixes, but never that one.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

apatriot

I'm sure you could get a fence on the one side.  Tell us more about this neighbor.

Bonster

There's some stuff about this neighbor in http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=618.0 

We need an "asshole neighbor stories" thread.  I love that shiite.  ;D

Boris

Quote from: Count DMC on April 16, 2007, 07:15:32 PM

...you should get out more.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Count DMC

Quote from: Boris on April 17, 2007, 08:37:30 AM
Quote from: Count DMC on April 16, 2007, 07:15:32 PM

...you should get out more.

Ok Mr. World traveler, because that is such a common mix to you right? What a joke.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Regarding the "asshole neighbor stories" thread - great idea for a thread!  My asshole neighbor moved at the end of 2000 and I still have nightmares about him.  There are the ones when I'm asleep and dream about when the police had to take him away with his crossbow because he wanted to kill his neighbors (when I was 5 months pregnant) and the ones when I'm awake and look at all the lovely fruit bearing trees hanging over our sidewalk in the backyard.