News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

For No Sane Reason....

Started by Paul Fuentes, July 06, 2005, 12:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Fuentes

Here is just the short-list of movies that I enjoy watching over and over, whether reruns filled with commercials, or whatever hour offered.  For this post I exclude some of my favorites such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Braveheart, Godfather I and II, Usual suspects, High Noon, To Kill a Mockingbird, and any other academy worthymovies, but focus on the B movies I like for no sane reason.

In no particular order:

Breakfast Club and the genre of Hughes movies.

The Crow (the original).

Con-Air, Kiss of Death, Face-Off:  Nicolas Cage can play a convincing badass.

Predator.

Shrek I and II.

Toy Story I and II.

Big.

Spiderman I and II.

Highlander(Queen score just adds to it..."Princes of the Universe").

Hollywood Knights.

Die Hard series (yippeee kai yay MF).

Bronx Tale.

Any Robert Rodriguez film.

There are many others.

markberwyn

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on July 06, 2005, 12:16:34 AM
Any Robert Rodriguez film.

Any? You do realize that includes Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams, don't you?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Paul Fuentes

Yes,

And it also includes Shark Boy and Lava Girl which I just saw with my 3 children this past weekend.  All entertaining (taken in context with who you are with).  Again, the idea is specifically to name movies you enjoy for no sane reaon.

pkd50

Don't you like Caddy Shack, Slap Shot, and Road House?

dukesdad

Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

Bear

Hoosiers
Right Stuff
Airport! (Lassies mom speaking jive was priceless)
Dances with wolves
Princess Bride
FX
Braveheart
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

pkd50

pkd50

Foot Loose,  and my all time fav......... Splender in the Grass

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

T-Stan RPCV

History of the World & Blazing Saddles

Ana

A Christmas Story (the lamp is lighting a home in South Berwyn)

Women On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Tie me up, Tie me down

Vampire's Kiss

Leaving Las Vegas

Parenthood

Goonies
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

ruffian

Out of the ordinary recommendations:

Insomnia (the original) with Stellan Skarsgård

Swimming Pool

Jacobs Ladder

Breaking the Waves
Emily Watson as Bess, a naïve Scotswoman who's convinced that God will heal her paralyzed husband () if she has sex with other men. Director Lars von Trier shot the film using only available light, handheld cameras and no musical score; the result is a stunning, nakedly emotional film.

The Magdaline Sisters
Three young Irish women struggle to maintain their spirits while they endure dehumanizing abuse as inmates of a Magdalene Sisters Asylum.

Interview with an Assassin
An out-of-work TV reporter stumbles on the story of the century when his ex-Marine neighbor admits he was the second gunman on the legendary "grassy knoll" in Dallas

Ravenous
Captain John Boyd's promotion stations him at a fort where a rescued man tells a disturbing tale

Caught
Edward James Olmos, Maria Conchita Alonso, Steve Schub, Bitty Schram, Shawn Elliott.
A son's arrival adds a dangerous element to the relationship between a merchant's neglected wife and a young drifter. - It will be on TV Sun  Jul 24  10:10P on Encore Mystery Channel (I think it's on at 9:10 p Central Time)

La Strada - Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart

and my all time fav Foreign Film ... Antartica by Japanese Director: Koreyoshi Kurahara with score by the superb composer ............ Vangelis ....... if you never see Antartica fine, but please check out Vangelis  

Ana

Speaking of Japanese -- My Neighbor Totoro (anime for children) and almost anything by Miyazaki, but Totoro is our repeating fav.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

shrugger

we must cultivate our garden

Bear

Quote from: Art on July 06, 2005, 02:07:13 PM
A Christmas Story (the lamp is lighting a home in South Berwyn

I found the place that sells that lamp, they are in Elk Grove $135.
It even comes with the wood crate.

Man....talking moosehead from Menards and this lamp...
Do I know how to make a statement or what!
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Paul Fuentes

Great responses.  Slapshot is a DEFINITELY in my top twenty "B" list.  Just to hone the issue, the "for no sane reason" prerequisite means that the movies you select cannot have any Academy Award steet cred.  This list is confined to those movies the critics did not give 4 stars to, but YOU like them or no sane reason.  But yet, there is a scene, a theme, a line, or host of lines that stick in your memory.

Keeping with that criteria, I'll add the following:

Pope of Greenwich Village

9 1/2 Weeks

Angel Heart

A Prayer for the Dying

No Mercy(great use of a wall)

Longest Yard (the original)

Warriors

Lords of Flatbush (In this genre, a movie with the Ducky Boys whose title I cannot remember).

Revenge

7-Ups

Dirty Harry

Magnum Force

Manhunter

Iron Eagle

Real Genius  (for whatever reason, one of my faves)

Heat (another one of my faves)

pkd50

My favorite line from a crappy B movie.......Dirty Dancing....."Nobody puts Baby in the corner"

Paul Fuentes

As far as lines that reverbirate to this day..the Hughes series of Breakgeat CLub, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, supply an abundant supply.  "what it is is, the Chick can't hold thee smoke...that's what is is"...."Gary, we're in a bathroom and cutting wolf bait"......etc.....

Ana

"I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together!"  or something like that.

Ana

This one I had to look up, but one of my favorites from Vampire's Kiss.

Alva, there is no one else in this entire office that I could possibly ask to share such a horrible job. You're the lowest on the totem pole here, Alva. The lowest. Do you realize that? Every other secretary here has been here longer than you, Alva. Every one. And even if there was someone here who was here even one day longer than you, I still wouldn't ask that person to partake in such a miserable job as long as you were around. That's right, Alva. It's a horrible, horrible job; sifting through old contract after old contract. I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it! You have to or I'll fire you. You understand? Do you? Good.