News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Tree trimmer recommendation

Started by bahas, June 01, 2007, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahas

Can anyone recommend a decent tree trimmer willing to do a relatively small job.  I have two fruit trees along my driveway that need some trimming and shaping.  One is just too big and the other is getting a bit top heavy and sags with any rain.  I was quoted $250 to shape them both.  That seemed kind of high to me but I have never priced this type of service before.

Here are some pics if anyone has any other advise.  I actually bought a pole trimmer last year but gave up after 45mins and the trees seem to be growing even faster this year.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/bahas_photobucket/DSC_2466.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/bahas_photobucket/DSC_2468.jpg

Bonster

LOL!  That first pic looks like I'm driving past . . . bohemian you done taught me well!

Not entirely sure, but that sounds about right to me, though, for a good pro.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Alok, Vega tree service in Stone Park. Very professional.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

java

I used Vega a couple of years ago.  I recommend them as well.
The City of Homers

Bear

BP...You got that number for Vega, I cant find it.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

one eye open

If someone does have the phone number , please post it . I am looking for a tree trimmer as well.

Thanks
Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.
~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boris

Lyons Tree Service = BEST

I know...I been.

(seriously, these guys are great. they took the tree off my house...didn't break a window, and all the ladscaping was intact)
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

bahas

thanks for the advice everybody.  here the numbers i found for them if anyone else is interested.

Vega Tree Service
(708) 450-9181
1818 N 38th Ave
Stone Park, IL 60165

Lyons Tree Service
(708) 749-0444
www.lyonstreeservice.com
8024 47th St
Lyons, IL 60534

Ana

Lyons Tree Service did our neighbor's tree, very, very nice and neat.  Wonderful owner and crew.  He gave me an estimate for mine, very reasonable.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ted

Will the city allow tree trimmers for trees in the parkway?  Or does the city have to do those?  Just wondering?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

$250 also sounds reasonable to me after some quotes we've got to trim some trees although it never hurts to shop around.  If you do get other estimates could you please post them - I'm interested in what they are.  Ted, we have trimmed our tree on the parkway although I'm sure if you're supposed to.  Some branches were at head level and we didn't want anyone to get hurt as they were walking.  Also, it's not a huge tree.  A call to city hall or public works will probably clear it up and if they will do if for free that's the way to go.

Bear

Quote from: Ted Korbos on June 02, 2007, 06:53:55 AM

Will the city allow tree trimmers for trees in the parkway?  Or does the city have to do those?  Just wondering?
Those are the cities responsibility

tgoddess

The city came and took care of the huge maple tree in my parkway last fall.  Branches were hanging too low over the street and sidewalk.  I THINK it was Public Works that came out (I was at work when they came, though, so I'm not positive about that.) 
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Ted

I know the city will do the trees in the parkway.  I was just wondering if a person could trim the trees themselves without getting or needing permission from the city.

Ted

Bonster

folks on my block have been doing as such since I've been here...

The city did a really nice job on mine, though...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

I used to trim the maple in my parkway myself (well, my dad did) before with the branches we could reach and there was never any problem. 
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bear

I have been thinking about doing something with my parkway, a few houses around me have done nice treatments, they are just so plain and boring.

Suzy Q

We have always trimmed our own trees on the parkway.  It wasn't until this year that someone from the city came by and told us that we couldn't trim our trees...the city would have to do that.  I thought he was going to give us a ticket or something.  Anyways, at least they were nice enough to come back the next day and dispose of the cut branches. 

bahas

Lyon's tree service came in with a quote of $495 on my trees.  Despite their price, I would have to say I prefer their promptness and professionalism over my $250 estimate.  I guess its a no-brainer though.  I'll be using my first estimate from Huber Tree Experts located here in berwyn.

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

Thanks bahas for the information.  I'll think we'll call Huber for an estimated.
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.