News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Sad Bungalow

Started by Ana, July 13, 2005, 10:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

You know what's really sad?  There is this bungalow down the block.  Sold about a month ago for $310,000 (in less than a month).  Not on a double lot, but very well kept and updated.  In perfectly good move-in condition, well, the new owners always keep the beautiful wooden blinds shut and the grass and bushes are getting long and shabby looking.  I hope this is just now since they just moved in and things will shape up soon.   :'(
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

whatever happened there?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ana

It was temporary.  We had a block party last year in August and told our new neighbor how beautiful her bungalow looked when the blinds were open.  I also explained that it was good to keep the blinds open so that her neighbors knew that it was her and her family moving around in there and not a thief.  Worked, this is the exact reason I keep all of my blinds open.  They keep their grass cut and neat looking, but there is some TLC missing, warmth, don't know . . . something.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Berwyn Patsy

I don't know what it is about a house that keeps blinds, shades or curtains shut tight that comes across as unfriendly, or as I think "what's going on in there?". 

Shelley

I live in a wood frame.  In the summer, all my shades are down because I don't have central air and it really does keep the house much cooler, less work for the window units.   

Shelley

OakParkSpartan

Same here Shelley, except we are on the top of the two flat. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Keep you shades down in the summer is one thing, closing your shades all year long is strange to me.

Ana

I agree.  There are two other homes on the block (new neighbors) that also keep their shades closed all of the time.  I have to believe the shades are trying to hide something, maybe nothing criminal, maybe just a mess.   :coreyhart:

Ana

~LL~

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on July 27, 2006, 03:14:15 PM
Keep you shades down in the summer is one thing, closing your shades all year long is strange to me.

Drug/Gang Houses seem to favor the 'shades-down-all-year' style of decor.  Following are some notes I made from police websites across the country -- regarding characteristics of a 'drug house'.  I have compiled updated information -- so as to update a pamphlet I created and distributed on my block a few years ago, entitled, Drug Houses For Dummies:  A Manual For The Rest Of Us...

What are the usual  warning signs of gang and/or drug activity in the neighborhood? Signs that gang or drug activity are taking place:

High volume of sporadic stop-and-go traffic (pedestrian and vehicular) – usually 24/7
Short stays by visitor and frequent stops by the same visitor
Telltale sign of drug use (drug pipes, brillo pads, scales, razor blades, etc.)
Fortification of a residence – shades always down regardless of weather; someone always on premises – (able-bodied residents do not seem to have a regular schedule – like for a job or school attendance)  large dogs
Strange odors (cat urine, Ether, Ammonia) related to methamphetamine cooking
Use of signaling (hand signs, lights, whistling or verbal commands)
The presence of subjects outside a residence for long periods of time (look outs)
Visible gang colors on multiple subjects at an address (tattoos, gang signs, slogans, graffiti)
Appearance of organized meetings by subjects all wearing the same colors.

Do any of these sound familiar?
•Excessive foot traffic to and from a house or property
Loitering in or around a house
•Frequent and unusual traffic patterns such as: Stop - Enter - Leave
•Traffic frequently stops and a resident comes out and talks briefly with occupants of car
•Threats of intimidation connected to a residence
•Open exchange of drugs and money
•Gang activity in the neighborhood
•Graffiti on structures in the area
•Sudden increase in criminal activity
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

scoon

Rest assured...  when you see my blinds down it's for your own good.  You don't want to see what I'm [not] wearing.

BountyHunter

they're makin meth in there, Art.  You better go snoop around.  Take Fejes and Rita with you.  They can sniff em out.

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on July 27, 2006, 03:14:15 PM

gotta open those shades, show off those lovely multi-paned windows...

...a walk by at night gives a nice li'l art show of the unique interiors complementary to one's windows & landscape.

Call me a voyeur, but I love seeing an old desk, bookcase, or classic table lamp in the window as I walk by a well-kept bungalow...

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Matryoshka

Hey Bountyhunter, how'd I get involved in this???

catspaws

I'm with scoon on this. You really don't want to see this "bookcase" in her unclothed glory in the heat of summer!  :o