News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Need affordable "side" work

Started by llasky1, July 15, 2005, 08:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llasky1

We just bought an English Tudor in Berwyn that needs a lot of work and TLC. We could use any referrals for roofing, plumbing and electric. Especially if you know anyone looking for sidework.
Thanks!

OakParkSpartan

We've used an Electrician named Frank Perlongo for a lot of electric work.  Very reasonable, and a nice guy.

For roofing, we used CSR Roofing out of Oak Park (ours is a flat roof, not sure if they do shingles).  Good prices, they are honest, and the also are very neat.

Plumbing, we had good luck with Gilchrist and Sons out of Oak Park (there are 2 firms with similar names).

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

markweiner

Frank Perlongo is the greatest! Small world.

Mark

saluki

We used Moore Construction (corner of Ogden & Gunderson) recently for a gut rehab (windows, roof, gutters, soffit/fascia and siding) of the outside of our home and they did a fabulous job.  Michael Moore is the owner and a very nice guy.

For HVAC work, I recommend Ascot Systems in Berwyn.

Good luck!

llasky1

thanks for all the help.
I can't seem to find Franks info.  Anyone have a number?
Thanks
Lara

markweiner

Perlongo Electric
(708) 442-1432 

Please note that Frank is leaving town on August 1 through the 15th.

Tell him Mark Weiner and Petunia sent you.

Mark

I Am Back

Quote from: markweiner on July 15, 2005, 10:06:12 AM
Frank Perlongo is the greatest! Small world.

Mark

ALDERMAN??? Are you condoning repair work by individuals who may not be licensed or bonded in Berwyn? Are you condoning "side work" without going through the Building Department? No wonder our budget is at a deficit...lost revenue...
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

OakParkSpartan

I've used Frank to replace a light fixture etc.

Does that require a building permit?  Seems a little crazy for one fixure.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Naw.  My neighbor hired people to do his garage "on the side".  If I'd have known he was such an asshole, I'd have called the building dept.   :)

I Am Back

Quote from: Berwynite on July 31, 2005, 08:49:11 PM
Permits are required for:
Electrical Work - Plumbing Work, Sewer Replacement - Concrete and Asphalt Work - HVAC or Boiler Work

All Demolition (including dumpsters)

Dormers and/or Additions Interior and Exterior

Alterations (wall and ceilings) - Porches, Decks, Steps, Handrails etc. Siding, Gutters, Downspouts - Garage and Accessory Buildings, Overhead Doors

Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs and Jacuzzi Tubs

Stucco or Brick Replacement - Fences and Gates

Replacement Windows and Storm Windows

Storm Doors, Screens and Glass Blocks

Permits are not required for:
Inside painting, cleaning, appliance installation or replacement, floor coverings.

Well Done! Mr. Watson...let's see how long it takes for Alderman Clueless to take his foot out of his mouth.
"Where Cathy adores a minuet, The Ballet Russes, and crepes suzette, Our Patty loves to rock and roll, A hotdog makes her lose control -- What a wild duet!"

Paul Fuentes

Okay genious,

Explain to me as if I was two year old(quoting Denzel Washington in Philadelpihia).  Why would this city require permits to replace screens and storm doors?????

llasky1

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on August 02, 2005, 10:55:50 PM

Explain to me as if I was two year old(quoting Denzel Washington in Philadelpihia).  Why would this city require permits to replace screens and storm doors?????

Because you have to have a permit to sneeze in this damn city!
And yes, you can get 'side work'!! done and Berwyn still gets it money for permits--you just have to pay extra money for a licensed inspector.  So the budget deficit should not be coming from there or all the parking tickets for that matter.