Getting paint off concrete blocks under windows and on porch rails

Started by catspaws, July 16, 2005, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catspaws

Anybody got a suggestion on how I can get the many layers of peeling paint off the concrete blocks on the porch rail tops and under the windows. I hired a guy who was going to rent some heavy sanding equipment. I gave him a deposit on the job so he could rent the equipment and he left town with my money. The police caught him once, he pled guilty to my case to get out of some other offenses and after several court appearences, skipped town again. I'd love to hire someone to do my front porch but now I am less able to pay. I could sure use some advice. I have tried chipping away with a chissel. It is a slow and incomplete way to go.

Thanks in advance.

hvychev

catspaws, have you tried a heavy duty stripper? I also might try and get an industrial powerwasher.

catspaws

I thought about stripper but the guy at Jacks Rental told me not to use stripper on concrete. I thought I might try anyway. How should I deal with the mess. I have carpet on my porch stairs.

hvychev

OakParkSpartan

Have you checked the "This Old House" or Old House Journal websites?  I'd try there and in their forums.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

catspaws

Suedehead suggested http://www.silentpaintremover.com/ for paint removing. I read the website info and it says it works on concrete. There is a 3 day rental from that website. They ship. It sounds like a possibility. I have a heat gun and concrete does not burn so maybe I'll try that first.

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

T-Stan RPCV

Sandblasting may be easiest and most effective but be careful, it can do quite a bit of damage if not done right.  Also, if there is any brick involved it should not be sandblasted.

BandB

Probably one of the best products on the market today is called "Peel Away", made by Dumond Chemicals, Inc., NY.  It comes in 1-1/4 gallon containers, along with a paper that is similar to butcher paper.  You spread the stuff on the paint (I have also spread it onto the paper, first), and then lay the paper over it.  In a couple of hours, you pull off the paperm and most of the paint comes along with it, stuck to the paper.  Go to their website to find the product best suited to your needs - they make several.  The good things about the process are: (1) there isn't as big a cleanup problem as with conventional strippers, (2) doesn't have the overwhelming toxic odor that most strippers have (does have kind of a fishy smell) and (3) is great at getting in cracks such as painted concrete or brick.  The product costs a few bucks ($50+ for a pail.  It is sold by Menards.  Good luck

catspaws

Thanks, this sounds affordable and something I can do without hiring someone or renting expensive equipment.
I am not a fast worker but I will let you know how everyting comes out.

Paul Fuentes

For us old folk, the use of a heat gun seems to work wonders, mmmmm hmmmm (think Billy Bob Thorton in "Swingblade").  Just make sure you get a good one (higher heat...better).  Makes that derned paint bubble up, blister, harden and easy to peel.  Yep, you'll have some stubborn chips and all, but far easier to attack them by heat gun, scraper, or safe stripper. 

I reckon I best move on now and get me some bisquits or french fried potators.  I reckon I'll have me some of the biggens...mmmmmmm-hmmmmm.

You just be careful by the wood trim, as wood, unlike concrete, is flammable.