News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Fencing

Started by chandasz, July 19, 2005, 03:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandasz

I am exploring the idea of fencing/gating my back yard. I just need something to close off the driveway so that we're not open to the street.

I love the idea of perhaps getting a dog and definitely keeping my daughter safely in the yard.

We have the typical chain link fencing along the sides (between yards and to the alley).

What do you guys think would be appropriate for the area I want to gate off? Should it be chain link to match style or something else? I want to maintain the integrity of my beautiful bungalow!

Any suggestions on this and how to go about it? New homeowner here.....

dukesdad

Concertina barbed wire is always in style. Of course, no fence is complete without a razor wire top.

ruffian

Chandasz, here's a website for fencing I would like to have.

http://www.outdoorfence.com/aluminum.htm

The style is what I like.  I have a corner home ... I'm allowed to have 6ft on the parkway, but I chose 5ft cedar fence with a lattace top.  I used the posts in place from the chain link to put up the fencing (meaning I didn't have to dig out the posts from the chain link and put in the wood posts).  The City Ok'd that.  I have it attached in a way, that should we get heavy winds and a part of the fence gets torn up ... I could easily replace that section.  I've had that happen when we got 70 mph gusts ... took out my lattace top on one of the sections like it was a piece of paper ..... was replaced in two days.

On the other side, the side I have a neighbor ... I left the chain link, however, I purchased lattace sections (quite cheap) and attached on my side of the yard to the chain link to soften the look and have a better background for what I planted which was a lilac tree ... shrubs ... rose bushes to give a natural look to the separation of properties.

I posted that link which shows aluminum and iron fencing because if I had the right situation  .... I would like to just have trees / shrubs as my natural fencing with just the iron fence on the inside just tall enouch to keep a child safe or small dog ... 4ft?  I think it depends on how nice your neighbors keep their yards.  If you want to look at the yards around you ... you may want to do like I did and keep the chain liink, but try that lattace look I was telling you about.

What are your thoughts?

Bear

Whatever you do stay away from that white PVC fencing, the pics look nice in the flyers but it is butt ugly!
Check out the house on the corner of 34th and Clinton...man did this guy screw up, home was gutted and he did beautiful landscaping job...and then ruined it with this type of fence. That stuff Ruf had there is very classy...
you cant go wrong with wrought iron or aluminum.

And you sure could have some fun if you electrify it!
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

chandasz

I haven't solved it yet....

I'm not sure this is something I could do myself. I've never done anything like this. I was thinking about getting home depot to come out and give me a quote.

I like that site but I'm afraid it might look really odd with my other fencing and don't think I can afford to replace everything. We have chain link elsewhere which is actually quite retro and cool looking.

In the back, along the alley, the morning glories have completely taken over the fence and it is beautiful.... Like a big green jungle wall.

ruffian

chandaz ... if that's the look you like you should go with it !!

That site was just something I would like to do at some point.  I could never really suggest something for you until I could see what your working with for myself.  Chandaz, one step at a time.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Sounds like you already have a nice aspect with the natural Morning Glorys.  Keep it going.