News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

ABC meeting 10/18/2008

Started by Berwyn Patsy, October 19, 2007, 08:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

Let me begin, by stating how well run, and interesting an ABC meeting is.  Thanks to Susan Anderson and all those who help  make it happen.
     An Audience of probably 40 people attended.  Among those were Mayor O"connor, Alderman Ramos, District 100 superintendent (Dr. Wernet sp?)  Board administrator Joanne Zendol, District 98 Super- John Belmont and school board member Tony Laureto.  District 201 brought out Dr. Nowakowski, and principal of Morton West John Lucas.  Notice, not one school board member from 201 nor any teachers. 
     Shelley Titzer represented CARES, and gave a short presentation on what CARES does for our community and teachers.  If I have forgotten anyone, sorry!!
     The whole discussion revolved around different programs all our scholls are involved with.
IMSA is an excellent program Lincoln Middle school (district 98) is involved with.  In short, it is a program that seeks out gifted students (who otherwise might fall between the cracks) and gives them the chance to excel in math and science programs.  Sounds like a program all of our schools would like to have.
It is funded thru the state from what I understood for the 1st 3 years, this year the district is paying the costs, then it would start all over again? (its' a 4 yr program)
     Different programs were touched upon in District 100 also.  All sounding very uplifting , positive and successful.
Test scores are improving thru out the district.
     For all the parents who could not attend last night, as a parent I think you would have felt good about what's going on in the schools and your spirits would have been lifted.
     Dr.Nowakowski and Mr. Lucas both spoke on different issues and improvements going on at the Mortons.
The value of having great teachers was mentioned  in a story from Dr. No.  He stated "we continue to survive".
Positive mentions were Math scores have gone up to double digets, we will read about this in the paper later.
Revised reading programs, continuing up dating books, small school projects going very well.
     New computer programs to trace students attendance and where abouts.  Parents will be able to go on line and see what their childs grades/attendence are, hopefully all this to be completed by 4/08.
Parental involvement , is going to be a main focus.  They held a back to school rally and drew about 400 parents. Morton West has a current enrollment of 3,450 students this semester. 
     A Fine Arts Festival is being planned for the spring , I think.  That sounded like a good idea to get the students, parents and community together.
     Dr. Nowakowski also made mention of the fact that ths schools have gotten the message from the community, regarding communication.
     Dr. Nowakowski also said he would like to see more AP classes offered (Morton East has more AP classes the MW)
He would need more involvement from the teachers. 
     All in all , I thought it was a interesting and hopeful meeting in regards to all the children's educations, starting from the pre-school program that is going on in District 100.
     There may be a light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Bonster

What the heck is an ABC meeting? Sounds like preschool or something.
Never heard anything about it other than here.
I see a link to a defunct website: http://www.allberwyncomm.org/

Is this some kind of meeting sent out to parents of school children?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

EC

The ABC is short for the All Berwyn Committee, a civic "activist" group in existance since about the late 1940's. Their activities are quite tame now compared to past years, mostly presenting educational, local government and park district/recreation issues. The typically present a candidate's forum every election season, both primary and general elections. They only meet about 5 to 6 times a year at Berwyn City Hall, usually the third Thursday of the month. Disemination of their meeting schedule is not on one of their strong points. Some of their programs can be quite amusing, especially when you get a few people to get up and speak during the question and answer session, who have absolutley no idea of the subject matter yet present themselves as experts on that evening's subject!

Hope this answers your question.

Bear

The candidate forum that the ABC hosts is outstanding. I can't think
of any other municipality where an organization hosts such an event.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...