News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Faux Fireplace

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, February 08, 2009, 10:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazerac

I understand, it is an unnecessary evil.  It's sad that when someone decorates/plans a room, it all starts with the TV.  I can't wait to move my TV to the unfinished basement (ok, I already have a small one there, but the HDTV is going there.)

So here's a question for you.  Would it be less expensive for me to add radiators in the basement (I already have a couple against the ceiling) when I get a new boiler, or should I add a forced air furnace just for the basement?  I am thinking of getting a 46-52" and connect it to the brick wall.

maraire

No brainer. Radiators and maybe zone it from the rest of the house.

Nazerac

Thanks for the advice.

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: Nazerac on March 05, 2009, 03:59:18 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Naz,

a friend of mine wired electric baseboard heaters in his basement...  he said it was the perfect solution for him because he could not tie into existing heating supply for whatever reason... plus it had its own settings (basically zoned) and could be set to automatic...  he told me that he got them at lowes ..  and that the power usage wasnt bad.. 

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Robert Pauly

Naz - my PO converted the main floor to baseboard heat, and moved a huge radiator into the basement.  They somehow ran the piping over there - I still don't understand the routing - the radiator and the pipes serving the upstairs do a great job of heating the basement, which is where I spend most of my time nowadays.

Nazerac

thanks guys.  It looks like the Basement will be the man cave within a year.  It's comfortable when the outside temperature is above 35.  I have a 2x4 thin radiator on the basement ceiling underneath the front room, a smaller 2x2 against the ceiling underneath the bedroom, and if I throw an electric heater along with all the piping and the inefficient boiler, it's not bad.  My only concern is that once I add more radiators and it becomes more comfortable ... I may have to share the space  :'(

Bonster

Quote from: Nazerac on March 07, 2009, 05:14:38 PM
My only concern is that once I add more radiators and it becomes more comfortable ... I may have to share the space  :'(

mice?

Are you planning on keeping part if it as a workshop?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Nazerac

Mice?  Got a cat.

Workshop? not that handy.  But may leave a corner with a bench, and put the tools in the area underneath the garage.

Bonster

I thought you were doing a bunch of refinishing to your woodwork, hence the need for workspace.  Must've been thinking of someone else.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Nazerac

No, that's me.  However, I am not planning on taking all the pieces of the windows down.   I will try to do the upstairs window without taking it apart.  If it works, then I'll stick to that MO.  Else, I will use the garage.  I also want to make screen windows for the basement, but that's not a big project, I have the storms, I'll just create replicas.