1/8/2008 City Council Agenda

Started by Ted, January 06, 2008, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING

JANUARY 8, 2008

DEAR ATTENDEE.....THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL WELCOME YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A
MEETING OF THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEMBERS AS OPPOSED TO A PUBLIC HEARING WHERE ATTENDEES ARE
ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE. UNLESS INVITED BY THE MAYOR TO SPEAK, YOU ARE REQUESTED NOT TO
INTERRUPT. IF YOU ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE MAYOR, PLEASE PREFACE YOUR REMARKS BY STATING YOUR
NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD. THANK YOU.
MICHAEL A. O'CONNOR THOMAS J. PAVLIK
MAYOR CITY CLERK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGENDA
ROLL CALL
(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. MIN. REG. MTG.-12/18/07-COW 12/18/07

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. CITY ADMINISTRATOR
2. 5TH WARD ALDERMANIC VACANCY
3. FIREHOUSE BID OPENING
4. APPT SANDY RADTKE TO 9-1-1 BOARD

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. DEFER-APPROVAL OF CLOSED COW MINUTES
2. DEFER-PERSONNEL MATTER
3. ORD-AMENDING PT 12 TITLE 4-BARBER SHOPS-BEAUTY PARLORS-NAIL SALONS
AS CONDITIONAL USES
4. APPROVAL OF CLOSED COW MINUTES-12/18/07

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS
AND COMMISSIONS
1. DEFER-CHAPMAN-LIBRARY PERSONNEL
) 2. CHAPMAN-UPDATE OF THE ORDINANCES FOR CITY OF BERWYN
3. CHAPMAN-UPDATE OF THE 2008 BUDGET FOR THE CITY OF BERWYN
4. CHAPMAN-SNOW/STREET CLEANING
5. SKRYD-CUSTOMER PARKING ONLY SIGN 2801 RIDGELAND
6. PHELAN-QUESTIONABLE CONDUCT

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. CITY ATTORNEY-PROPOSED ORD ACCEPTING THE DEDICATION OF RIGHT OF
WAY
2. CITY ATTORNEY-ORD TO AMEND REAL ESTATE TRANSFER EXEMPTION
REQUIREMENTS
3. BLDG DIR-DEOMOLITION REQUEST-3708 GUNDERSON
4. LIBRARY DIR-STAFF REPLACEMENT-LIBRARY ASSISTANT II-YS
5. H.R. DIR-SMOKING POLICY

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND
WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO
REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND CONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER
APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA
1. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYROLL-12/12/07-$856,579.21-12/26/07-$805,510.50
2. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYABLES-12/28/07 $900,952.75-APP 12/18/07-1/8/08 $251,049.24
3. COLLECTOR-BUSINESS LICENCES ISSUED-DECEMBER, 2007

ITEMS SUBMITTED ON TIME 23
meeting date.

ADDENDUM
BERWYN CITY COUNCIL
JANUARY 8, 2008

F-2#1 MAYOR-5TH WD ALDERMANIC VACANCY-1ST
CANDIDATE-MAUREEN BROCATO

F-2#2 MAYOR-5TH WD ALDERMANIC VACANCY-2ND
CANDIDATE-THOMAS DAY

Bonster

...upset I couldn't get out of work on time to go to the meeting tonight. 
I hope one of you good men/women did...
(not that it matters, as I was told unless you're there you don't know what happened)

I'd like to know what happened with this...
Quote from: Ted on January 07, 2008, 06:53:01 AM
  Back to the original topic on the city administrator,  Nona Chapman has an item on the agenda to remove the city administrator position and transfer the money for the city administrator into the police and fire pension funds.

I would have asked, "is there not already a pension fund?"  Or, "is it not fully funded at this time?"
I can't see why we'd want to divert money to something which already exists rather than for an opportunity to better the city for all the residents, police and fire included.

...and that Phelan "questionable conduct" agenda item... :666:

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

A.Malina

"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

OakParkSpartan

Maureen Bracato rejected for the umpteenth time.  The other guy was approved.  However, OC didn't say anything about appointing him, nor did he even acknowledge the gentleman who was sitting in the audience.

A resident was appointed to the 911 Board.  OC pointed her out and thanked her to a round of applause. Hmmm.

Phelen's thing was deferred.

Administrator was removed from the 2008 budget (which hasn't been submitted nor approved, so I am unclear how you remove something from something else which doesn't exist).  The funds weren't transfered to the account in the non-existent budget

Administrator was removed from the ordinance which permitted it to exist.

Joel had a new hair color.  No one was sure what was up with that.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Can OC NOT approve the newly voted guy, Tom Day?.  OC seemed to be a little rude about the decision?
What color was Joels new do?

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 09, 2008, 05:34:21 AM
OC seemed to be a little rude about the decision?

lol...probably...OC didn't get his ridiculous pick, so he's going to sit there and sulk!

OakParkSpartan

Joel's do was kind of red...like a red fox.  It seemed to go good with #6's shirt.

I don't know that OC can reject the new #5, as it was he who nominated the guy.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

QuoteI would have asked, "is there not already a pension fund?"  Or, "is it not fully funded at this time?"
I can't see why we'd want to divert money to something which already exists rather than for an opportunity to better the city for all the residents, police and fire included.

There are pension funds for both police and fire. They are not fully funded.

Bonster

dukesdad- thanks...at least someone other than Berwyn Patsy is not afraid to answer a question.

Quote from: dukesdad on January 09, 2008, 09:10:33 AM
QuoteI would have asked, "is there not already a pension fund?"  Or, "is it not fully funded at this time?"

There are pension funds for both police and fire. They are not fully funded.

Will $150K enough to fully fund them?
and
Do we know the reasons why they aren't/weren't funded?

OakParkSpartan

Most public pensions aren't fully funded, so I don't think this situation is all that unusual.  That being said, I'm not sure how much, on average, the typical pension fund is under-funded, and how Berwyn compares to that. 

Artanis, can you hook us up with those figures?

I don't think the 100k really matters much.  Kind of like pissing on a forest fire...

Bonster

Brian, if that the case, one must question the intent or knowledge behind the "agenda."

OakParkSpartan

I think it is to get on the good side of the police and fire unions prior to the upcoming election.

Bonster

Hilarious.  Laughing so hard I can't even compose a nonsense post!