News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Perfect Guitar

Started by seebee, January 08, 2008, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seebee

Ok, so nobody wanted to play with my "most underrated guitar post"  :'(
Fine.
I'm simply looking for something new to spark me again, and everyone's got an opinion, maybe one will hit home for me if you share it. Quick list of specific songs that have some perfect (what you would consider perfect) guitar work in it?
Again, I'll start:

SRV: Standard studio recording of "The Telephone Song:"
I am a huge SRV fan, and I think pound for pound, of all of his studio work, this is definitely one of my top 5 favorite of his guitar solos. I'm pretty sure he was off the heroin for that recording, and I think that was just a small foreshadowing of things to come had he still been with us. Tone simply dripped from his left hand.

Steve Vai: Live recording of "The Animal" from Live at the Astoria:"
Always, when a person says Vai is too sterile, or plays with "no feeling," right off the bat, you know that person is not familiar
with Vai's work at ALL. They may be aware of a few songs, but little else. Give Steve Vai a 12 bar blues backing track, a guitar with NO tremolo, a tube amp and a delay pedal, and whoever thinks he is sterile will learn that Vai can tear it up in short order. And I mean really blow your mind with some tasty, nasty, old school blues.

Srv again:"Live at the El Mocambo - Texas Flood:"
If you have never heard/seen this, you are not yet really serious about blues guitar. If you think you like blues guitar, this might be a pinnacle recording of one of the masters. This recording simply just drives and steamrolls through for damn near 8 minutes with no letup - even the breaks in guitar work are just driven simply and masterfully by the backing bass and drums. Slow, churning, constant, driven, magnificent build ups, and plateaus held long and steady. Oh yeah, did I mention I was a fan of srv?  :-[

Vai - "Tender Surrender." Again, the man can play whether you'd care to believe it or not. Some of his earlier stuff can be a little bit on the "flurry of sterile notes" side of playing, but I absolutely guarantee you, if you delve a little further, you will easily become a fan of his jazzy bluesy side. Amazing stuff.

Please chime in if you have any  :)

Hogzilla

SRV "Riviera Paradise"
Pat Metheny Group "Are you going with me?"
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here"
Stereophonics "Long Way Round"
Wes Montgomery "Bumpin"
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

...can't think of the particular songs, but I can hear them in my head:

Al DiMeola- I think "Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant" with Return to Forever, last tune on the Romantic Warrior album, 1976.
Some clean, majestic solos come to mind in that song.  He was way ahead of his time with those flying arpeggios.

There's another with him that sticks out on Friday Night in San Francisco, a collaboration with John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía.  Well, they all stick out to me, actually!  Neat recording as one guy's on the left channel, the other on the right, and third in the middle (both).

Talk about ahead of his time-
Roy Clark - "Twelfth Street Rag"  from The Lightning Fingers of Roy Clark, 1963
Great fast country pickin', speeds up to a frenzied pace - there's a sample to check out there.  Download it, it won't disappoint!

Reverend Horton Heat - ""Big Sky" off Liquor in the Front...
I don't know if it's "perfect," but in it's own jilted, harried way, it is.  To me at least.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Hogzilla

Quote from: Bonster on January 08, 2008, 11:12:41 AM
Reverend Horton Heat - ""Big Sky" off Liquor in the Front...
I don't know if it's "perfect," but in it's own jilted, harried way, it is.  To me at least.

If you ever or have ever seen the Rev live, the Jim is an amazing guitar player. Have seen them more times than I can count. Fantastic band to see live.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

Never seen 'em.  Jealous!

IT'S A PSYCHOBILLY FREAKOUT!!!!!!!!!!

tgoddess

You could get your chance, Bon:

At Metro with Nashville Pussy and Backyard Tire Fire opening on April 18th.  Now that things are non-smoking, that place might be bearable.

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

seebee

Metheny, Dimeola - That's the stuff! I've seen the Revvy Horton Heat once, and didn't appeal to me too much, but I will look into the rec. Wes Montgomery I do not know much about, so thanks! I think have seen some footage of Roy Clark - was he the one who was the first to use multi-layering, that blew everyone's minds?

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Hogzilla

Quote from: tgoddess on January 08, 2008, 11:22:48 AM
You could get your chance, Bon:

At Metro with Nashville Pussy and Backyard Tire Fire opening on April 18th.  Now that things are non-smoking, that place might be bearable.

Nashville Pussy has opened for them a few times now. They are a fun opening act. Kinda rowdy.

RHH is from my home digs of Dallas, grew up going to their shows in Deep Ellum back in the late 80s/90s. Spent many drunken nights at Trees (RIP) at their shows. Last show I saw was in winter of 2003. They are all super nice guys too. They truly love what they do. And, oh yes, it was a Psychobilly Freakout!  ;)

A lot of good stuff came out of that time and place. Tripping Daisy (now Polyphonic Spree) and Course of Empire (way ahead of their time and broke up in 1998 after a 10 year run), Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, MC 900 Foot Jesus (Mark used to work at a record store I spent much of my free money), The Nixons... Lots of good stuff. Great art and music culture. Every night out in Ellum you knew you were going to see something special. Unfortunately, times change and so do places. Ellum has become a great place to get murdered in Big D and many of the bands have moved on. Ok, done being nostalgic. I hate to be one of those "good ol day's" types.  ;D

Bonster

Nashville Pussy toured with Motorhead ...

It was great cuz at one show you could get both some head and pussy.

No, seriously!

tgoddess

Thank you, Shecky. 

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

And try the veal.

scungili

Hahahah! Bonster ... I was previewing this post when I saw your recent entry ...

QuoteNashville Pussy has opened for them a few times now. They are a fun opening act. Kinda rowdy.

kinda???  When a bikini topped amazon of a bass player spits fire 13' into the air ... that's just kinda???  ;)

One helluva show that I saw about 9 years ago was Nashville Pussy, The Supersuckers & Motorhead @ H.O.B. ... Damn Motorhead is loud!

Bonster

yep!  @ H.O.B.

told ya I wasn't kidding, nashvilletgoddess!

Terri

Tommy Emmanual playing "Classical Gas".   He plays Shuba's every couple of years. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEbYXa6Cik

Seebee I thought of underrated guitarists but seemed the topic was leaning towards rock stars that haven't gotten their 15mins. of fame.  The guitar itself is unique because of its flexibility in sound such as classical, electric, jazz, rock and its audience is different in each genre.   I love classical as much as rock guitar, its all in what you feel like hearing at that moment.     

If you like jazz or classical guitar DePaul, Roosevelt and Northwestern have concerts all the time.  The music schools concerts are always free. 

seebee

Nice - forgot about him. I saw Emmanual on a soundstage or a great performances thing on pbs last fall.

Terri

Oops, forgot Les Paul at 90 still plays the Club Iridium every Monday night.  Anyone been?  One of my mini trips that I haven't taken.   

scungili

American Masters had a fantastic episode on Les Paul highlighting not only his songwriting & playing skills, but also the innovations he brought to recording and guitar making.

a quote from Paul McCartney on Les Paul ...  'I don't care how much guitar you played, I don't care how many hits you had, you invented that multi-track recording, and that made the difference.'

mustang54

Quote from: scungili on January 09, 2008, 07:14:42 AM
American Masters had a fantastic episode on Les Paul highlighting not only his songwriting & playing skills, but also the innovations he brought to recording and guitar making.

a quote from Paul McCartney on Les Paul ...  'I don't care how much guitar you played, I don't care how many hits you had, you invented that multi-track recording, and that made the difference.'
I saw that program it was really good. Sir Paul is right his invention of overdubbing was historic. Was fortunate to meet Les Paul a couple of times. A fantastic man. He did a clinic at the Cicero Stadium many years ago. Place was packed with about 2,000 people. He did a clinic explaining different styles of playing and how he invented multi track recording. Afterwords he stayed on stage and took questions. He had the crowd eating out of his hands. Truly a legend and a great man.

scungili

Hey Mustang, that is really cool!  In a way it's almost magical to meet an artist like that who has experienced and contributed so much to music.  I had the privilege to see & talk with Barrett Deems in the late 90's.  He had standing Sat. & Tues. night gigs at this tiny little bar called The Sunny Day Tap on Elston.

He sat behind the kit and made everything look so effortless while joking with people at nearby tables.  Each time was a little different because a variety of players would join him each week.  It was funny, during a break he pulled up one of his sleeves to reveal 3 watches on his arm ... I asked why do you need all those ... his response, "because I'm the time keeper".

Robert Pauly

Second most amazing guitar work:  Ry Cooder on John Hiatt's song "Lipstick Sunset" (Bring the Family album).

The first being Harrison's work on "Nowhere Man", of course.