Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

That Memphis Sound ...

Started by scungili, February 05, 2008, 05:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

Too cool ...

http://www.youtube.com/v/U-7QSMyz5rg&rel=1

"Respect Yourself: The STAX Records Story" was on Ch. 11 over the weekend and DAMNNNN! it featured some kick-ass footage.

scoon

At Boy Scout camp, us assholes in the office would play this song over and over and over and over again during rainy days when the kids were stuck in their tents.  They'd come running up, drenched, just to ask us if we could change the song.  And we'd oblige them, by playing another artist who recorded Green Onions. 

And Felix said I wasn't an asshole....

Hogzilla

That's sweet. Think of American Graffiti every time I hear that.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

gotta dig the white boys on bass and gitter learnin' groove from the brothas.   

gotta love the telecaster, sweet twang.  is that a Jazz bass?
So weird for me to see someone actually playing with the pickup cover on.
modern rock necessitated they be removed, similar to the covers on the Rickenbackers.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

rbain

Are you talking about Donald "Duck" Dunn?

I think he was there at the founding of the groove, man.

"the greatest backing band on earth"
"The Southern Soul equivalent of the Modern Jazz Quartet"
"The Fathers of the Memphis sound."

-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Bonster

Donald "Duck" Dunn was originally a session player. 
The music probably shaped him more than he shaped it, similar to many white studio musicians in Motown, but yeah, I guess you can say he was there during the inception of "groove."

Most remember him from the Blues Brothers.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scungili

Damn! He was still touring at age 70 ... Dunn passed away this past weekend in his sleep while in Japan.

La Times story = http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-donald-duck-dunn-20120515,0,1637294.story

:(

scottymac

There was a great AP obit in the Sun-times the other day. He didn't want to do the Blues brothers but his wife told him that " you have to". Most people dint realize how much talent was in that band.

We're getting older and our heroes are starting to leave us. Two years the other day since
Ronnie Dio has been gone.